NO for online-only launcher and editor

That’s battle net for you.

1 Like

Guys it wont be online only. If you logout of Bnet inside of Reforged, it asks for you to Login or Play offline. The option is not available because it’s beta. Hell, it’s using the same infrastructure as SC2 and that’s available offline for 30 days before you have to login once to renew another 30 days.

The BDA (launcher) doesn’t have to be online to work. Log out of it and when you launch it, choose to continue offline. Then, launch the game. Assuming it’s a game that can be played offline, it should open.

However, only the Beta is currently in the BDA and if all that’s available is multiplayer, then it’s going to have to be online. Plus, it’s a beta; it’s likely coded in whatever way the devs need. Don’t put too much stock into it.

SCR can still be played offline just like before it was remastered. So it’s not unreasonable to assume that W3R will retain the ability as well.

Then it throws an error. Hmm. An error when downloading updates without internet. Unheard of!

It is, it launches the battle.net app.

Simple to say, but these days, computers tend to auto-connect to everything. The only way is to make sure the battle.net app is always closed unless you are ready to update.

But if I cannot get inside of Reforged because “update is required”, then I cannot access this option. That’s why they should add “don’t update and start offline” option in the launcher.

It still tells me that update is required, and grays out the editor.

That’s what beta is for - to collect feedback from people like me who find out that something is not right. It’s a beta, not an early access preview / demo.

Just wondering, when SCR finds an update, can you just go offline and still launch it despite of the update available?

Yes. That is the case.

You can add ’ -launch’ parameter on a shortcut to SCR to avoid Bnet app.

2 Likes

Works as well for Warcraft 3 Reforged, and for the editor too. Thank you.

2 Likes

The only way a game knows there’s an update is if the launcher gets online and finds one. As long and the launcher stays offline, it should never know.

I was going to say that same thing.

Unless the game itself is online, it’ll find the update on connection. (like old Bnet 1 games)

Also, SCR and SC2 which have a offline part require a connection each 30 days.

Yeah. All Bnet 2 games except SCR, SC2 and soon to be WC3 are online only. So there’s no getting past those.

If SC hasn’t changed, the base game can be played offline fowever. It’s just the remastered (paid) content that needs the 30 day verification. Since WC3 is structured similarly, I bet it will operate the same way: base offline forever like it is now, and reforged (paid) needing the 30 days. I haven’t tested SC2 since base game went f2p, but I wonder if the free parts can be played offline indefinitiely too.

2 Likes

30 days offline isn’t that bad, unless WW3 breaks out. Anyway, sooner or later, I’ll catch that wifi somewhere.

I guess not, since that 30-day thing is a license check (to make sure you didn’t share your password on pirate bay)

Yes but what Leviathan meant is that you shouldn’t have ‘license check’ for free content. But that’s a good question about SC2.

1 Like

I guess the license check works for the entirety of your account, not just one game or a part of it.

As in directly to the World Editor exe?

Yes, make a shortcut to the “World Editor.exe”, and add -launcher at the end of the command.

1 Like

Yeah and that is just a screw you sign to the customers. Why should we always need to verify we paid for nicer looking graphics?

For that very reason: it’s paid. Thus, it’s a measure of hack/piracy protection. By having the client crosscheck its license level against battlenet’s license level, the illicit can be identified. Meaning, it’s not for the people who legitimately purchased the content; it’s for those who steal it.

But like most anti-piracy measures, there is some level of inconvenience for the legit customers. The trick is to balance it so that it doesn’t overly inconvenience the legit but still effectively mitigates loss at the same time.

1 Like

It’s mostly for those who sell their account passwords for $1 to thousand people for “offline play”. Been happening a lot with Steam.

1 Like

Excellent example!

Bliz is trying to mitigate loss and protect their IP.

I loved WC3 because I can play it without internet or when it’s down or choppy. Oh well…

1 Like