New campaign with SD graphics - old campaign with Reforged graphics?

They are. I posit that there are two campaigns. One will be ditched.

Again, you are conflating the game with the campaigns. I fully agree that the game will be one. But even you agree that just like the pre-Reforged account will not have the ability to play with Reforged graphics, it won’t have the ability to run the new campaign… a least, officially.

Leave it to the Hive. They have even made a co-op campaign with the original.

It should. It was advertised as such.

Was it? It’s been so long since I’ve combed through any Reforged coverage.

Okay, you are not making any sense…

Where have they said one will be ditched?

Well that’s my whole point! Classic WC3: Classic WC3 Campaign, Reforged: New Campaign + possibly old campaign with new graphics.

We are talking about official support here. Like I already said, you could possibly import the New Campaign into World Editor and change it to SD graphics, but I get the feeling that it will still have a lot of stuff that’s is Reforged-exclusive, so it wouldn’t still work with Classic WC3.

No, it’s not. They have only said that Reforged will introduce a new campaign with new graphics. Nowhere it is said that you should be able to play the new campaign with Classic WC3.

Nowhere. But I can’t imagine a Reforged account with an option to choose either of the 4 campaigns (RoC OG, RoC Re, TFT OG, TFT Re). Goes against Blizzard’s ideology.

I believe that the old campaign will be ditched.

I’m sure it will be close enough.

See, you are confusing the terms. What is “Classic WC3” even supposed to mean? There is no classic WC3. Look at the 4 terms I put in the OP.

SD is not tied to the old campaign. And SD is not a pre-Reforged account. The Reforged account is indeed advertised to have the option to revert to the SD - but that is not the old campaign!

How is that “against Blizzard’s ideology”? So you are just determined to expect the worst, just because Blizzard?

No, you are confused: there is Classic WC3, that is the current WC3 we have right now. That is not going anywhere. And the campaigns are a pretty big part of the different versions of the game. Sure they brought also a lot of new assets, units and balance changes, but essence of the games lie in their campaigns.

Well, what else could this possible mean then, if not the campaign…?

That we will see. And the pre-Reforged account will be locked with the old campaign until upgrading.

But the SD is not a version. The game is the same. It is you who’s dividing the game. No matter what definition you choose, you will be able to play anything, especially something as official with zero custom assets as the campaign.

The standard definition is a graphics setting, not a campaign. I rely upon their promise that a Reforged user can switch at will, both in the campaign and on the ladder. This does not sound like “playing SD means you are missing on all the changes to the campaign”.

And then I posit that its not in Blizzard’s nature to actively encourage two different versions of the story at the same time.

My prediction:

I. Reforged account.

1. New campaign.
    A. HD.
    B. SD.

II. Pre-Reforged account.

1. Old campaign.
    A. SD.

Pure, unadulterated logic.

Seeing how Warcraft III was released after 2000 and has always been playable in a HD resolution, this term makes no sense.

A more correct term for it would be Classic graphics.

The new reforged campaign will almost certainly not be available with classic graphics. It is designed for Reforged graphics and there is no reason to design it to support classic graphics. The only people able to play it are those who have brought Reforged and so have access to Reforged graphics.

Yes it is a Reforged feature.

The classic campaign will likely be used when running classic graphics. This way people without Reforged can play the classic campaign as they currently can and people with Reforged can play the Reforged campaign.

Another possible implementation would be to add 3 campaign selections, one for RoC, TFT and then Reforged. This would keep the implementation most true to the original without any of the nonsense of having to change game versions.

If it can be played with Reforged graphics enabled then it will partially support them. However only maps which were modified to be part of the Reforged campaign and are being played as part of the Reforged campaign will fully support the graphics. Partial support means that some assets which were not given Reforged graphic versions may still use their classic graphic versions and so appear out of place.

That said for the most authentic experience it would be best if they only allow the classic campaign with classic graphics and the Reforged campaign with Reforged graphics. This avoids any potential visual bugs due to missing or changed assets.

2 Likes

Thanks for the ideas. By the way, I vaguely remember that they said there would be no RoC and no TFT anymore, just Reforged. Am I making it up? Because this again would make sense.

Some folks have also suggested bringing the RoC campaign unit values/costs in line with TFT. Unifying the two parts into just one menu with 8 campaigns would do it.

I guess they meant that the clients will be merged, like they did already. You can’t buy RoC or TFT alone anymore, you have to buy Reforged which will include RoC and TFT. I wouldn’t make any conclusions that that would mean ditching the campaigns, because that’s just pure speculation and nowhere have they said anything like that. And it wouldn’t make any sense. There are people who love the original games and want nothing to do with Reforged: Blizzard is not forcing anyone to play Reforged (that’s the whole point of backwards-compatibility).

But those people had already bought WC3 pre-Reforged. And even then, they would be able to play the old campaigns as customs.

Oh my gosh, we have been over this… You can play the old campaign even after release of Reforged.

1 Like

You have no proof. Just your speculation and my cold, hard logique.

You have even less proof. What I’m saying is what Blizzard has said.

And what did the Dark Lord of the Dead say to you?

That you’ll be able to play a campaign in SD in Reforged? That’s vague and murky.

Sigh… This is pointless.

This is finished.

Or will be.

https://i.imgur.com/XLMC7Dt.png

‘Classic’ is a very key word in the highlighted statement on the store page.

But what is Classic Warcraft 3? Cue the Vsauce music

The court will say that the 8 Reforged campaigns mirror the original RoC+TFT campaigns sufficiently enough.

The campaigns that came out in 2002 and 2003. If you want to paint with a broader brush, we can include the visuals too.

Seamless campaign experience. © Pete Stillwell

I’m right! They are literally merging RoC and TFT! 8 Reforged campaigns are taking their place! It’s incredible!