My Reforged Wishlist

1. There was mention in a panel, I think it was, about something like Jaina having a mounted ‘skin’ so that she can be used as a melee multiplayer substitute for the Archmage. I’d go on to hope that winds up being the case for all campaign hero parallels. Uther and/or Arthas -> Paladin, Thrall -> Far Seer, Tichondrius and Varimathras since they had alternate models from the melee Dreadlord, Malfurion for Keeper of the Grove. Stuff like that.
  2. The next few are more about the mapmaker. Overall, I hope since the engine for the gameplay is the exact same, that the world editor isn’t going to change at all and instead there’s just QOL of life stuff or some new, neat additions. No big overhaul because while I understand the greatness that comes from the Starcraft 2 map editor (and admit I’m not the brightest bulb), opening that I get a huge sense of it just being another language if I want to make anything custom.
  3. A new feature like the ability to add hero glow to non-hero units natively rather than downloading a team colour-able glow model, adding it to a custom buff/passive, giving the unit that buff. I know that takes all of 30 seconds to do on your own but just so it’s all in the editor rather than taking the brief bit of time to fuss through folders and importing.
  4. Adding team colour options to models/units that may not have had them before, just for the sake of custom maps. Off the top of my head it’d just be things like Goblin Merchants/Laboratories, Medivh’s model, zombie creeps, banshee creeps.
5 Likes

I definitely agree with point #2, what’s great about the World Editor is just how easy it is to get the hang of it. I can’t say my maps were ever great or anything, but damn I had a lot of fun creating actual content as a kid and having it be so approachable, when I didn’t even know when/if/while were the base of programming but I knew how to use them!

1 Like

Now that I think of it.
5) If campaign skins for heroes are gonna be available in melee multiplayer, I’d hope that not only because of that but to better depict classic and well known characters that they go on to give all campaign heroes something to set them apart from the melee ones. Currently there’s a huge difference between Arthas, Uther, and the standard Paladin.
So seeing heroes like the following (off the top of my head) getting unique treatment from their counterpart/base that they didn’t/couldn’t get in Warcraft 3 would be a real treat:
Sylvanas, Rexxar, Maiev, Tyrande, Muradin, Anub’arak, Kel’Thuzad, Reign of Chaos Illidan, Kael’thas, Muradin, Cairne, Vashj.
Granted that list is already almost all the heroes, but it would just be kind of nice to see those major players get some love and distinction besides dialogue differences.

Also about the editor, importing overall I think could be made a bit simpler. Like could it be possible for the editor add different borders (active, passive, autocast) to each icon automatically, so I don’t have import ten images just to get it work with multiple type of spells. Also all border styles for all vanilla icons would be neat.

2 Likes

Just thought of another one.

1. The ability to set default colour indications without having to do it in-game every time. Like for in team games, for instance. Making your colour blue, your ally/allies teal, and enemies red. Set Ally Colour Mode/Alt + A. I don’t know if that’s a thing right now already but I haven’t been able to find the option if it does exist somewhere. Probably doesn’t matter too much for 1v1, but I also haven’t sat down and done a proper 1v1 in a while.

Your number 3 gave me a thought. All hero unit models should have decay animations, and all non hero unit models should have a dissipate. For custom map reasons.

1 Like

Oh dang, that’s a good small-but-could-be-major-for-mapmakers one I would’t have thought of.

It does lack a lot of WC3 stuff (despite promising numerous times it wouldn’t) - eg: damage vs armor types, single-tile cliffs, and of course, functional water. And other enhancements don’t provide the simple or default versions (like per-tile terrain).

If they just focused on adding the missing features, simple defaults, and WC3 style (simple) ways of doing stuff (like easy ways to change attack) it’d be entirely superior.

Having significantly different models for too many heroes might make it a bit annoying to play against in melee.