More SD related issues:

One: Water no longer has a “model” apparently thus makes it seem more transparent than it was on Frozen Throne
example:
https://i.imgur.com/gD4YW3F.jpg

tldr: you should not be able to see what tile is below “deep water” lower transparency for water.

Two: Water isn’t smoothing out near shores, it makes it look clunky and nearly impossible if possible at all to get looking good:

https://i.imgur.com/5TxH9WF.jpg

tldr: water shouldn’t be rough near shores.

Three: Imported trees, I had completely fine working trees in 1.31 and fairly sure that even early 1.32 beta, but now when I test it in-game, my trees still do not display properly:

https://i.imgur.com/Wqj2BqQ.png

tldr: for some reason some of the tree models that were working properly before have stopped working when imported and used as trees, they display fine in-editor though but become shadows in-game.

Four: Shadows are still an issue, so are particles. (look at the archers and peasants both got no shadows)
https://i.imgur.com/dukn4Nt.png

PS: (this is not sd exclusive) setmapmusic still does not work.

2 Likes

I cannot see what you are pointing at in the image, possibly due to compression artefacts. Might have to zoom in.

Water still has a model, like it always had. Without a model it would not be physically visible as there would be nothing to draw.

The reason it is more transparent is likely because transparency might be working more correctly now. Older versions of WC3 had buggy lighting and transparency logic since they performed the maths incorrectly in the sRGB colour space. The maths only work in the linear RGB colour space since they are based on physics to some extent which work on average number of photons rather than perceived brightness.

One is meant to see a little bit through deep water. Just not until the bottom. This gives an impression of volume like real water.

Try replacing their texture with one that is known to work to see if the model loads. If it does load then the custom texture is corrupt. One should remaster the custom texture by converting it from BLP1 to png (a lossless format) and then saving it as “.DDS” with DXT5 compression. The new texture should work at the same path, if not then the model will need to be edited to have a new texture path using something like Reteras Model Studio.

Corrupt custom textures are a very common problem with Warcraft III custom models. This is because no one knew how BLP1 worked until a few years ago when I finally decided to find out the truth. Turns out third party tools like BLPLab easily created corrupt BLP files due to following an incorrect specification of the BLP standard, and BLPLab is one of least offenders.

If the model still does not load then the model file is corrupt. Similar reasons to textures, older models were made with converters that did not fully understand the mdx format. They somehow worked with older versions of WC3 but with changes to code structure stopped working. In this case try loading the model with Reteras Model Studio and simply saving it as Reforged compatible. Hopefully internal error handling removes the corruption from the model.

They appear working fine for me. Just they are more faded due to the above mentioned fixes with lighting and blend logic using a more correct colour space.

If they are truly invisible then this is a bug that should be reported. It might be related to GPU driver, settings or GPU hardware.

You’re literally wrong on everything you posted.

First of all, it’s visible that there’s a “tone shift” on different tiles, this was not present in TFT, and if it was not present in TFT it should not be in Reforged Classic/SD.

I’m using three trees and one is working with the same texture, the texture was working already, and it’s still working, please don’t post stuff you have no idea about, the models were also working properly before this in tft and even during the beta.

Shadows are broken:
https://i.imgur.com/dukn4Nt.png

Again, I know you DSG you are always posting stuff like this which almost to a point seems malicious, stop.

After a discussion on Discord we came to a conclusion that shadows are currently broken for custom units.

Basically any custom unit is treated as having no (all 0) shadow data. If the shadow data of a melee unit (which has shadow data) is modified then the values are read as 0 instead of whatever the map maker specified.

Since the shadow data is being treated as missing (all 0) there is no visible shadow as the blob shadow has 0 height and 0 width.

The classic graphic blob shadows are still there and implemented, just they are not working for custom units due to a bug. This might have something to do with the map editor custom object data format which is different from the SLK used internally to store data. This may also mean that maps with custom object data converted to SLK might not show this problem.

Yes, we did, the shadows are bugged when you modify a unit and or a shadow on the world editor.

The water also has been confirmed to have both bugs based on discussion between multiple terrainers, not as noticeable on terrains such as ashenvale but more on stuff like barrens and lordaeron. (too rough near shores, and too transparent).

Imported trees are broken for the most part too on SD.