Missed Opportunity and Monetization

Besides for the issues that other users have pointed out. Am I the only one who is surprised at how Blizzard missed a major monetization opportunity here?

For example, as World of Warcraft has existed moved the lore forward - there are many stories and campaigns that could have been explored. Should these be done correctly I could have seen $5-15 campaigns. Throw on top of this a ‘bracket +’ option which included some additional races or units and Blizzard could of made some good money.

Anyone else confused by this?

8 Likes

Not sure about new races or units, but perhaps new skins for existing units and heroes. And the assets used for the new campaigns can be used for new online maps.

5 Likes

I would pay for unit/hero skins and/or new official campaigns. But sadly judging from the way the game has been handled since before it even launched, I doubt they will do anything like this. They already stripped it of most of the upgrades we were excited about because some purists complained and made noise and Blizzard saw it as an excuse to do less work.

4 Likes

Pah, they didn’t even deliver the hero skins they are advertising! They advertise being able to select between lots of hero skins from the campaign, like all the Dreadlord models, Crypt Lord models, Archmage models etc. But that was all just a lie. We can’t select between them and 7 months since release Blizzard has not spoken about this fact once. They wanted people to forget, but we don’t forget that Blizzard has been trying to falsely advertise features that are not in the game. They already tried that with the misleading Blizzcon 2018 footage, which was since taken down. But they continue to do so with their promise of hero skins in the official blog posts.

We don’t have ladder, we don’t even have profiles. This game is dead to blizzard, they cut half the amount of features from an 18 year old game, deliver a non-functional graphics update which almost no one uses apart from maybe the campaign. This game was mismanaged to the likes of no-man’s sky. But unlike No Mans sky, blizzard doesn’t care about fixing the game.

Blizzard already killed Heroes of the Storm, now they killed Warcraft 3.

4 Likes

Ye, what we just miss: to turn WC3 into a pay-for…
no wait, what should we actually spend money on?^^

The campaign is bad. It has bugs and missions half finished.
If it was just the old campaign with new models it would be great. But even they did not do well.

4 Likes

They did not want to anger the esport traditionalists… and they found it was cheaper to keep them happy.

They did the exact same with Starcraft… Just polish up the sprites a bit.

Now, as a serious answer, they already considered “monetization” to sell a remastered graphic version of the game.
If they had stick with just this they wouldn’t have any problem selling thousands of copies.
Since they decide to enforce the new graphic with all the mess they did, there is a little chance now to gain anything from this game.
Unless they say: we go back to the old battlenet, just the ingame graphic can change, if you want to try something new.
They would get all their customers back.
But
RELEASE
not
PROMISES

2 Likes

I don’t understand how people want more content in a game that has 18 years of content under its belt by the community.

They could have made it so all those content transitioned more smoothly. but nope,

blizzard content is supposed to be of superior quality.

3 Likes

That went out the window a couple years ago when Activision got rid of Blizzard’s CEO position to facilitate digging its claws in a little deeper.

This is what they should have done and still could do, especially since that’s all Reforged essentially ended up being: a remastered graphics pack. But it was implemented really poorly between the removal of existing features, less optimized performance (both the menu and in-game), added bugs, crashes and desyncs, and forcing it all, including the new client and much bigger graphics data, onto everyone. Even those who didn’t buy Reforged who can’t even use the new graphics.

Which worked quite well, so why not do the same thing for Warcraft 3? Admittedly unlikely Starcraft, Warcraft 3 is a fully 3D game so they probably wanted to do more than just polish the sprites a bit in order to make a worthwhile difference (although they still could have just built upon the original models and not have made the new ones so different), but they didn’t have to do much of the other stuff they did. Even though they walked back some of the previously advertised changes (new style of cutscenes, voice acting, retcons and more emphasis on Sylvanas and Jaina), many of the other changes that they still did caused problems or were received negatively. Hopefully they learned their lesson from this.

1 Like

Not likely. If Blizzard has proven anything about itself in recent years, it’s that their hubris knows no bounds and they’re incapable of admitting to when they’re wrong. They’d rather just blame the customers for their failures instead of admit that they done goofed, because they’re the immortal gaming gods Blizzard, they can do no wrong. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Or even the people who bought reforged AND couldn’t use the new graphic^^

1 Like

I agree with you on this point. However, by changing the TOS for map makers Blizzard has essentially cut the knees out of the custom map community. Had the wanted to make DOTA into a game; they likely could have regardless of TOS. But they had a lack of will, so now everyone suffers with the greedy changes.

With that said, I would be happy to see official storylines addressed. I don’t know when a new Warcraft game is likely to be released. With WoW’s story progressing it would be nice to see the ‘Military / Faction’ side of these stories. Even a secondary ladder for newer units or factions. Retaining both the classic playstyle as well as adding more.

Blizzard doesn’t care to create content of superior quality for an 18 yo game. especially singleplayer.

The Community pre Reforged already made campaigns that are 10 times better then the vanilla games campaign.

Lots of alternate story to straight up continuing War3 into Wow lore. with great quality.

The only thing that lacks is voice lines for cutscenes. if that’s the make or break part for you then whatever. i don’t care however. if you actually played some of those maps and campaigns and paid attention you would grow to realize that quality has a limited bar and many of the content people already made reach or go beyond this bar.

Being in another community of another game soon to get a remaster however, i for one have realized some people just don’t care. and want more. the cycle of gimmie gimmie gimmie never ends.

Wow, what an aweful idea. You should definetly work at blizz xD.

I already played those campaigns. Because it is illogical to expect from an AAA something of quality.
And I don’t see anything wrong with the Company cycle making decent content consumers consume it. That’s how almost all businesses work.

Anyway, now I can’t play those campaigns. Or make my own?

Not on retail Reforged no. you gotta wait until they add back Custom Campaigns. then you have to hope the map authors would update for Reforged.

1 Like

At least I can do what I wanted to do.
What was the point of using the old motorcycle if they also broke hundreds of maps.

1 Like