Mercenaries (last minute changes before the release)

In this thread I would like to discuss the changes (if any) that could be done in WC3 Reforged to mercenary camps and creep camps (mostly for 1 vs 1 gameplay). Feel free to write what you would like to see.

(1) Mercenary camps should have at least one undead unit that can be hired. On some (new) maps there should be 1 or 2 undead creep camps on a small piece of blight.

The above change will definitely induce innovation in the gameplay from players. So Blizzard, please consider them.

(2) I want to make a pitch for the Forest Troll Shadow Priest to become
an undead unit (or be changed to an undead, say “Ice” or “Dark” troll priest).

First, it will be a unit that UD can use. Elves/Orcs/Humans would be also use it and heal it with moonwells/salves/scroll of regenerations. Don’t forget that the troll heals himself. You may say that humans are in disadvantage because Paladin can’t heal it. But Paladin is usually not 1st pick hero, while Archmage is, and his aura gives the troll extra mana to heal himself.

(3) Make mercenaries to have some synergy with different races. For example:
(a) an undead mercenary can benefit from blight and DK heal.
(b) troll berserker can benefit from orc’s troll regen
( c) ogre mauler, which I think is a very boring merc, can get a 10% bash
chance and possibly pillage from orc.
(d) troll berserker or some other unit can benefit from elf’s ultravision
(e) golem (tiny giant) which has magic resistance can benefit from elf’s hardened skin
(f) new unit, say bandit could hide during the day and night like elf, can also get human defend.

Well, some of the examples may not be great, but I hope the point is clear: each merc should have a special ability, has synergy with at least one race, provide some tactical options and not just be an extra unit you hire to boost your army count in emergency.

(4) Increase the radius of hiring for buildings. Example: I can’t build a burrow on Echo Isles island and hire mercs. It also would be nice, if one can use a burrow to creep the merc camp and then use the same burrow to hire mercs.

1 Like

Interesting ideas. Making troll shadow priest Undead might actually be helpful for humans as the DK wont be able to coil it

I don’t mind minor changes to creep camps, its happened with maps before, but I think some of your ideas like adding blight to certain creep spots might be a bit too big of a change for older maps.

I think it should be up to new map makers to add that kind of stuff and hopefully make sure its not to unbalanced in terms of overall map layout. Thehiveworkshop has been holding a lot of mapmaking contests in recent months, so we are starting to see a lot of new ideas tested out!

3 Likes

Make Crypt Lord available for 7 food.

He is pretty useless anyways.

He might aswell be replaced by Pit Lord for undead units.

He would be a noice merc

Here’s a link about that among other melee related things you might find interesting:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/making-neutral-melee-assets-viable-for-ladder-others.309194/

1 Like

Yes, you are right. I forgot to mention it: DK will not be able to coil the opponent’s undead mercenary.

1 Like

I think this is smart because on regular maps paladin can heal all neutrals.

Undead cant so its kind of unfair.

If there were also undead mercs that would make up abit for the problem.

But I think its too late to add now.

1 Like

Except for the diarrhea golem! (HawK calls it such…)