Melee maps folder

So… I recently patched up after not having played the game, like, forever.

I noticed that the folders with the melee maps is absent. What gives?

1 Like

does everything else work? what OS are you using? have you tried reinstalling?

1 Like

Maps are now saved in My Documents/Warcraft III not in the game install folder.

1 Like

Oh, I see. Where are the maps, then? The folders themselves are empty.

i tried to offer you help, but im not going to keep repeating the same questions over and over again just for you to ignore me and not answer my questions

lol what do you expect?

wc3tutor is a troll. just ignore him. if your folder is empty, then there could be a problem with writing to it.

yea Im a troll cause I asked what his OS is and suggested he try reinstalling the game

whatever nubs

Let’s try this again.

First of all: Windows 8.1.

Reinstalling didn’t create any folder with melee maps in it. It created a maps folder, which has the usual Scenario/Frozen Throne folders in it. They are all empty, though. And yes, I checked for hidden files. No such thing.

However, I can play the melee maps in-game and open them in the editor. There they show up fine enough.

Aaaaaand… another thing: If I create a quick map in the editor and save it in the otherwise empty file folders in the Warcraft - > Maps in my Documents, it also shows up as available to play, right along side the conspicuously hidden melee maps.

yea this happens, not sure why but theres 2 ways to fix it.

I assume you are installing the game from a download and not the CD? cause the CD would install the maps. You should also try “repairing” when launching wc3 just incase

The only other alternative that I know of is to try and search google for the official wc3 maps and download them from some webpage. I dont know exactly where to find them cause Ive never had to download them myself, but Im sure it cant be that hard. theres several dedicated fanpages for maps out there.

Oh and your last resort would be to just wait it out for Reforged to release, which hopefully shouldnt be too much farther away at this point. As long as you can play the game just fine it shouldnt matter anyway, right? (you never mentioned any other problems so I assume you shouldnt really need the maps just to play)

Anyway, sorry I couldnt be of more help. Good luck and let us know if you fix it or not!

Yeah, I’ve registered every game I ever got from discs. Seemed more convenient to just be able to download them.

I’ve tried the repair option as well. No dice.

What I just don’t get is why they’re visible in both the editor and in-game, but just not in the folders. I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess that they’ve been stuffed into some archive file or whatever not readily accessible in Windows, but still accessible in the game or associated programs like the editor.

And yes, I can seemingly play them just as before. I just thought it was easier to open them directly from the folders, if I for some reason wanted to look at the layout of some of them or some such thing.

I have found that I don’t have to download them, if I want the melee maps in my folders. I can open them in the editor and “save as”. That creates a map allright, I just get a duplicate of it beyond the one I can already see in-game, but otherwise not manipulate.

1 Like

Open the world editors and go to Open Map and there are 3 tabs: custom maps, melee maps, and campaign maps. Then choose the Melee Map you wish to modify. They are stored in a binary database subsystem call CASC and you cant find them without hacking open the game files using CASC View from Russia or by using Retera Model Studio.

1 Like

Well, it was never a problem of finding them in the editor, just in the Maps folders in Windows like in the “old days” (which was like last year or whatever). But I vaguely suspected that the file systems had been altered.

The game stores all game data in a totally different system so that it will be easier for Blizzard to deploy it through their launcher, but this means any modding tools from before 2018 that load game data will fail. My tool has code for loading CASC (written by DrSuperGood) so it should be able to load the game data and browse it, such as if you want to look at unit models or icons.

If you want, download the source and add in the missing features that Magos War3Model Editor used to have, to keep modding easy. I want all those features but i didn’t write them all yet.

Edit: https://github.com/Retera/JWC3

I played yesterday 2on2 match. I bought 2 Tower items from the human shop. Then I placed one but the other Tower item disappeared. I was like what just happened.

I have played this game so long and something seems to be off the sync, maybe the clicks doesnt register properly. But i just dont know anymore.

this suggests that the maps is stored in another folder. here is what you can do: save a map in the editor and then use windows search to search for it.

what a troll, he already figured that out, stop trying to take credit for helping him