[Main Thread] - FPS Performance Issues - June/July 2023

As I just described above, it’s not a valid comparison. To make a comparison to show the presence of a bug, you need to compare the same hardware against itself. Comparing different hardware to each other can not show whether or not the bug is present, because we don’t have a non-bugged baseline of comparison for both systems. Like say I have GPU A and you have GPU B and I get 50 FPS and you get 60 FPS. Does that mean GPU A is affected by a bug while GPU B isn’t? No, becuase GPU B might just be overclocked or a different kind of GPU and/or otherwise get different performance for any number of reasons.

In short: A proper comparison has all variables (or as many as you’re able to control) except the one you’re checking for directly controlled. If there are other variables in play, it doesn’t work.

(This wasn’t intended to be a seperate post but these forums are really wonky)

As far as posting performance, it’s as I said. I can post the FPS I get now but that means nothing. I can’t go back in time to get a snapshot of how well things were working before.

I can only recall my personal experiences:

• After the initial release of this patch, I had a performance drop of around 10-15%. I generally have the FPS counter on so I can remember things like this.
  • I went back onto the PTR version of the patch, and my FPS was normal. Which means something between the PTR build and the live build caused a problem.
  • After the hotfix that was deployed a short while later, my FPS was the same as on the PTR build prior to the hotfix. Meaning my FPS was now normal, and that whatever issue was still affecting people’s performance, it wasn’t affecting my own.

I have no video of any of this so it’s only my words and I’m the first one to admit that isn’t evidence. But it’s all I can produce, because I don’t record every play session for posterity or whatever.

I splurged on a new GPU on amazon’s prime day, so we shall see this weekend if I subsequently experience this horrible stutter that some users say they are experiencing.

1 Like

Yeah man I understand.
Of course, as you know, the battle.net client doesn’t allow you to rollback updates so comparing different chipsets performing under the same software update is the closest thing we have to a proper comparison.
For what it’s worth I just tried it using a ThinkPad X1 Gen 9 which has a low wattage i7 11th gen mobile CPU and no dedicated GPU, and it indeed runs significantly more stable (and quieter) than the PC I described on my first post (weird!).
I’m really more inclined to think this is some kind of CPU utilization issue, but I don’t have access to their codebase to claim that. I just see that what most of us have in common is a Ryzen CPU.
Cheers on that new GPU!

How to do that? I cannot revert old patch eg. go back to 1.33 , and also I cannot go back in time.

Thanks @Hecedu, so you see my old Intel 9series vs Amd Ryzen 7- 6800H using same game same patches, is exactly the proof what we need.

But for sure is not up to Blizzard Developers, is more due to cpu optimizations, Amd is optimizing for Synthetic Benchmarks or maybe video editing, but not for gaming scenarios. The proof is that other games have similar behaviour.

I mean, you can’t do it, and that’s the whole point. People are demanding something of me that isn’t possible.

This is simply false. AMD’s CPUs are not optimized (or unsuitable for) for any specific task any more than any intel CPU is. AMD’s latest generation of CPUs keeps up with Intel’s easily and is a perfectly valid choice, otherwise people would not be buying them. Now, you could argue their GPUs are lagging behind, and that argument wouldn’t be without merit, but their CPUs are perfectly fine for gaming or anything else you want to do with them. There is no proof of other games having similar behavior, I play tons of games of all types and they all run perfectly fine on my CPU. If there is any AMD specific problems with any games, it’s developers not taking them into consideration, rather than any fault on AMD’s part. But I simply don’t see this.

Can we really just not make this a pissing contest between Intel and AMD? Ultimately which one you prefer is irrelevant to this conversation, but spewing false nonsense about AMD products not being suited to gaming serves no one.

so in your opinion if I cannot prove it. than no issue?
And again, if does not happen to you means than is no issue?

Your argument isn’t provable one way or the other, it’s just an opinion of yours and you’re welcome to it, but you can neither prove nor disprove whether a given CPU is suitable for a particular purpose. Reviews can help us make these decisions.

And again, I have never said this nor implied it. I NEVER said that “If I don’t have an issue, then no one does and anyone who says otherwise is a liar.” Never.

Your comments are totally off the rails. Whether your AMD CPU is good at XYZ thing or not is irrelevant. The only thing that is relevant on this forum is the technical issue which is the focus of this thread. Trying to bring other games, software or tasks into this is not relevant.

You don’t have AMD hardware, your hardware is just a verbal statement, you didn’t provide any videos, as JaFrostscar said, you don’t have evidence to prove you have AMD hardware. For example, if you have $1000000000000, you need to take out a passbook with your name on it

1 Like

CaptainJack said:

I splurged on a new GPU on amazon’s prime day, so we shall see this weekend if I subsequently experience this horrible stutter that some users say they are experiencing.
[/quote]

War3 has nothing to do with the performance of the GPU, it only requires 970TI to run properly. Obviously, he doesn’t understand at all, and it’s a fact that he doesn’t have AMD hardware

It is worth affirming that,

JaFrostscar shared his hardware and used the same computer to run versions 1.35 and 1.36. War3 showed different FPS, with a difference of 60fps。

JaFrostscard

49 posts

------------------System Information------------------ Time of this r - Pastebin.com
Same computer, different versions of War3
CPU: 5800X3D
dram: ddr4 3600 c18 64G
Test Map: Lordaeron: The Foremath Current Version: 0.71b】
version 1.35 in game max=210 average fps=190 fps
version 1.36 in game max=140 average fps=130fps

video:
htt ps://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1cg4y1F79f/?spm_id_from=333.337.search-card.all.click&vd_source=844d0c2002de646f5cfe3185fd23be76

Sreenshots of my hardware configuration are evidence. Sorry man, you can stop being a silly troll anytime now.

Videos of the game don’t show what kind of hardware you have. And you have yet to do that.

I never said he didn’t have the issue. It doesn’t need to be affirmed any more than it already has.

----I NEVER SAID NO ONE ELSE HAD AN ISSUE OR THAT NO ISSUE EXISTS—
Let me repeat that:
----I NEVER SAID NO ONE ELSE HAD AN ISSUE OR THAT NO ISSUE EXISTS—

I ONLY dispute the assertions of others that this is some AMD specific issue, because I see no evidence that it is. I have seen users of Intel based systems complain, and I myself HAVE AMD HARDWARE AS PROVEN IN THE SCREENSHOTS ABOVE and do not have an issue.

This is false and GPU will still affect your frame rate. The point was not to imply that I think that this is the problem (and it will still be an AMD GPU anyway), but rather that it is simply a variable that will change, and literally any variable can affect performance in both expected and unexpected ways. Further FPS depends greatly on if you’re in classic or reforged mode as reforged mode uses much higher fidelity assets and uses graphics features not present in Classic mode (which themselves have a substantial effect on FPS), at which point your GPU becomes more relevant. It doesn’t matter, in a few days I shall see for myself.

Please stop making up stupid silliness to discredit me, it would really be appreciated. Thanks. :slight_smile:

You know, it really baffles me why you guys are all rebelling so hard against someone for the crime of not experiencing the same issue that you are. This issue is already being investigated by Blizzard so they clearly know about i and there really isn’t any reason to be fighting about it. You’re all accusing me of being a “scammer” despite the fact that there is no motivation for me to do so.

1 Like

Calm down! I started flagging

Unfortunately there is a issue, but do not think Blizzard Dev can do something, maybe together with Amd for future generations of CPUs. Or maybe the issue is with GPU attached and that is in those cases mostly also Amd Ati Radeon…

So, no intended Advertising but for next years I go Intel + Nvidia that is sure.

(stupid shiat forum edited my last post instead of making a new one…)

Unless you come up with a comparison video between version 1.35 and version 1.36 of FPS, just like JaFrostscar. Let’s all see if your AMD CPU computer has the same fps in both versions. You can’t provide evidence, and JaFrostscar has shown that the same computer has different fps in versions 1.35 and 1.36 (with a difference of 60fps).

htt ps://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1cg4y1F79f/?spm_id_from=333.337.search-card.all.click&vd_source=844d0c2002de646f5cfe3185fd23be76

I cannot because I don’t have a time machine. But I have no reason to lie to you or anyone here and I really don’t understand why you’re fighting me like this. I will keep posting because it’s the truth, so you can either keep wasting your time making demands against me or just ignore me. Stop wasting both our time.

Give me a way to play on 1.35 again and I’d just love to do that for you.

That said, my FPS was fine on 1.36 on the PTR (like most of the people who were complaining at the time with Blizzard having claimed a fix)). Bugged at the initial release of 1.36. Blizzard intrdouced a hotfix and then my FPS was normal again (like 120-140 in classic and ~60 in reforged)

I mean seriously, why would I make such an overly specific story up? I really don’t enjoy posting THAT much. The only thing I CAN do is show there is no suttering for me, which some of you claim to be experiencing which I am not. I can certainly do that, though that will not satisfy you. And the thing is, people have been primarily questioning whether I have AMD hardware at all and I’ve posted screens (while editing posts to prove that’s the PC I’m using) to show that I’m running both AMD CPU and GPU. And yet the person you’re siding with hasn’t done the same and keeps insisting that I’m lying despite having shown my hardware.

RIght now though, OBS is the only tool I have for recording and it won’t record over 60fps desptie having it set higher. Feel free to suggest an alternative (tried the ancient Fraps and it makes the videos tiny so that won’t work…)

1 Like

I’m also rocking a Ryzen 7 5800X3D and having issues with the game, it runs terrible with laggy low fps. I ran the game with the MSI afterburner overlay and noticed that the gpu usage would drop to as low as 0% constantly. PTR runs good.

GPU: RX590 8GB
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

You say it’s working better on the PTR for you? Hm. I’ll have a look.

Beware, you need to post before and after videos or you’re a liar! Actually, that’s only if your forum username is CaptainJack. Since you are confirming the problem you don’t need proof!

Sarcasm aside:

Well, guess I’ll have to eat my words. PTR with confirmed identical settings set in the options menu (Also, same race played on Booty Bay vs CPU in single player) is about 25% better FPS than on live. it’s not “unplayable” or “laggy,” but it is definitely lower.

The build number on live is only 10 higher than the PTR so not much could have really happened, at least one would think. So maybe I just don’t have it as bad being i’m on a closer-to-top-of-the-line end user CPU (AM5 Ryzen 9 7900X).

So it looks like different graphics settings evened out the FPS. I won’t be digging out the pitchforks since I’m not having any real issue playing, but it would seem that performance is in fact still lower for me on live than on the current PTR version.

There. You heard it here first. Do y’all still want me to prove it or do you conveniently think I’m no longer lying because I’m seeing the performance degredation?

1 Like

If you’re playing in Classic mode, this is normal. Classic mode basically doesn’t use the GPU much at all. Reforged is different though. You’ll notice some of the graphics settings are disabled in classic mode. Play a game with classic on for a bit, then quit and play in Reforged mode. The difference in GPU usage is night and day: (I used afterburner to check as well)

This itself isn’t specifically an indicator of the problem

1 Like

Everything I’ve shared is regarding the reforged mode, classic seems fine.