Let me play Warcraft 3 TFT!

How can i play Warcraft 3 TFT in Bnet? It was the best game ever!

10 Likes

Install Warcraft III. Make sure to update to 1.32.1. Make sure your RoC CD key is attached to your BattleNet account (TFT key currently seems to do nothing). Finally play with classic graphics. The mode will default to TFT balance and in game look pretty much 1:1 with what Warcraft III used to plus having fixes for wide screen support and the like.

I went and fixed the statement of @DrSuperGood to bring in some reality:

[…] plus having fixes for wide screen support and a lot of bugs minus everything else wc3 TFT already had like

• working colors on enemy units
  • custom campains
  • ladder
  • profiles
  • clans
  • all your classic friends
  • all your stats and avatars you collected over the years
8 Likes

WC3 only received those when work on Reforged stated. Before then it used to use to stretch 4:3 into 16:9 which is not wide screen support.

Which now becomes all of your BattleNet friends.

Ladder, profiles and stats will likely come in the future. Custom campaigns will likely come as well. Not sure about clans as clans is kind of a hit or miss feature at the moment for games.

2 Likes

Hey,
thanks for your messages, but i have no CDs. I have bought the games in the online store and its not possible to start the old Warcraft TFT anymore. I Hope that Blizzard finds a way to make it possible to play Warcraft TFT again (by starting it from the Battle.net APP)

2 Likes

1.32 is pretty much The Frozen Throne but with Reforged content also added in. Most of the missing features will be added again later.

3 Likes

There are new custom campaign menus in the game data files.

This is Blizzard. SoonTM.

Joking aside, likely next patch at least for features like custom campaigns. That should be within a month from now as a rough estimate, unless they expand the scope to include other things.

2 Likes

Where exactly? I would be very interested in seeing those

2 Likes

Let me answer the original question instead of off-topic-ly praising or berating Reforged:

1 Like

Inside the CASC file system. There is data for them that is currently unused.

The fact they were made for the new menu system to begin with shows that support is intended. However they must not have been finished in time for 1.32 release.

Reforged classic (RC) is not the same as TFT classic. RC has different shading for invisible units making it difficult to tell if they are actually invisible. You keep seeing that ugly DH and DK. Units glide more instead of walking. Color grid in RC is horrible. TFT has no 30% joinbug rate. RC has x20 the Ping than TFT did. RC has no profiles. RC has no stats decently retrievable. RC has no working friend list from time to time. RC does not have clan (channels). RC does not show preview for CGs. RC has no lo ladder. TFT hardly has any desyncs. TFT has no mandatory app launcher. TFT has a bugfree campaign. TFT does not crash when used offline.

To OP:
There are specific discords where TFT client with 1.27 or 1.28 is offered. There are additional servers created where you can play this without patching to reforged client. The player base is smaller; but the overall experience should not generate such an issue. Cuz you do not connect to bnet; any generic key will work for installation. Never press the bnet button as you will get 30 GB of reforged again.

4 Likes

This was mostly fixed by 1.32.1. Along with the more correct lighting logic which was then broken to better imitate versions before 1.32. They were likely related.

Neither will Reforged after a few patches.

Only sometimes. Another issue a few patches should fix.

Possibly missing UI elements. Since the stats are tracked for portrait unlocks.

Meant to use the BattleNet one. If that does not work then it is a temporary bug that will be fixed.

Likely due to them trying to change the preview system. SC2 suffered something similar.

It did towards 1.32. Which is likely why 1.32 has them.

Multiplayer synchronization is a complex issue. It should be solved or at least reduced in coming patches.

Not a big deal in 2020 where practically everything has one.

It never was bug free… Sure it had fewer bugs, but still…

This was mostly fixed by 1.32.1. Along with the more correct lighting logic which was then broken to better imitate versions before 1.32. They were likely related.

Still looks terrible, just because they touched it up doesn’t mean the problem is fixed. It looks awful

Neither will Reforged after a few patches.

It’s been a month and we’ve had nothing. The one patch was too barely make the game playable. Can’t even constitute that as a patch, been a problem since beta. Should have been included with the launch. Oh wow they made their terrible menu actually operable. Amazing. To have faith in them patching and fixing anything after they got 8 desyncs during a pro tournament is hilarious.

Only sometimes. Another issue a few patches should fix.

No all the time. Even on America servers I have higher ping then what I had on TFT. A “few” patches means years if you look at their history.

Possibly missing UI elements. Since the stats are tracked for portrait unlocks.

Considering they hired a new UI guy after launch it’s safe to say they got no idea what they’re doing with profiles or stats or this ui. The portraits are bad and easily unlockable and can only be seen when you squint. There’s no point in them.

Meant to use the BattleNet one. If that does not work then it is a temporary bug that will be fixed.

Im meant to use another application? while the Warcraft 3 main menu is eating up all my ram like chrome on steroids… you actually believe that nonsense? Why is there an option to close the battle.net app on launch then smart guy.

Likely due to them trying to change the preview system. SC2 suffered something similar.

Is that why they still have the basic TFT portraits for ladder maps? Because they were trying to change something? Most likely they didn’t have enough time or cared enough.

It did towards 1.32. Which is likely why 1.32 has them. Multiplayer synchronization is a complex issue. It should be solved or at least reduced in coming patches.

No it didn’t. Don’t spread misinformation. I played 1000 games under 1.32 and I never been dropped or desynced once. Stop it

Not a big deal in 2020 where practically everything has one

I know a ton of people who don’t play blizzard games simply for the fact they don’t want their malware on their computer. It’s not an acceptable practice

It never was bug free… Sure it had fewer bugs, but still…

Oh are you talking about the very minor bugs that were immediately fixed and addressed within the first patch of roc? The two aren’t comparable. Reforged has been unplayable for a huge chunk of players before they refunded.

Your a lying sack of :poop:

3 Likes

Okay guys, i have installet this “Warcraft 3 Public Test” Now i cant start the game becaue of the graphic Error. I had the same Problem, before Reforged and startet the game in the Terminal with following lines:

exec /Applications/Warcraft III Public Test/x86_64/Warcraft\ III.app/Contents/MacOS/Warcraft\ III -graphicsapi OpenGL3336

what is the mistake here? it doesnt work. i replaced the Warcraft Folder with the “Warcraft III Public Test” folder. The rest ist the same. Any ideas?

Does MacOS even support that version of OpenGL? Did macOS even get a PTR?

If you are using a modern mac with full metal support I suggest playing Warcraft III: Reforged as it will be the most compatible for your system. Otherwise I can only suggest trying to updating your MacOS version in case the graphic API starts to work.

I don’t get why you keep arguing about Reforged. It’s clear that the OP of this thread does not view reforged as equivalent to classic TFT, and will not be convinced otherwise, so this is accomplishing nothing.

2 Likes