It will be good to see a "sc2 keybind menu"

you can by simply downloading Warkeys1.32 it has a full UI for hotkey customization and is very simple to use (you can find videos on youtube) thats the great thing about the WC3 community, theres always people trying to make it better, instead of just adding to the pile of complaints at blizzards doorstep :slight_smile:

have you missed all the information that blizzard put out recently stating they plan on adding more features in patches over the next few months? theres already evidence of new hotkey features found in some ini files

but in the meantime, there are many alternative ways to fixing your problem here… and if you dont like the default Grid alignment, thats probably because by defaults it puts spells on ZXCV which is dumb… you really should try QWER for spells its much better since its closer to the # keys

just gotta give it a few games to get accustomed to and retrain your muscle memory

No, I didn’t but this was a super basic feature that could have been in the game at launch. They’ve been working on this game (allegedly) for 2 years. I’m all for ingenuity and the community fixing things, but it’s also something that Blizzard will address in their patching I hope.

Though I have my doubts the patching will actually be that extensive tbh. There’s a lot of stuff that I think are extremely basic features missing right now.

And honestly I like individual spell hotkeys. QWER is fine, but C for Death Coil, E for Death Pact, D for Animate Dead are all fine. I think all the TFT heroes have fine hotkey choices IIRC too.

and whats the hotkeys for your inventory items (like TP)? or do you not use those?

if you want to hit P for peon or M for move, thats a lot farther to reach than I do, especially since I like to keep my pinky on Ctrl at all times

I don’t think I’ve ever thought about it. I just click on inventory items which is irritating, but I’ve been playing the campaign primarily where it’s not a huge, huge deal. That’s something I should fix, though, yeah.

I right-click for move, peons I just click the icon unfortunately.

look at it this way… if you have a DK with coil thats C right? but if in your next game your orc and your Blademaster uses W for windwalk right?

well for me I use QWE for all heroes no matter what race i play

and my inventory is on TYGH

everything is right at my fingertips, no moving my hand required

exactly, you dont play competitively. I am explaining to you why QWER is better for competitive players

Okay, but my point was never that QWER is bad (and I use QWER in Heroes of the Storm obv). Just not my preference when I’m playing WC3.

For me, W for Wind Walk and C for Death Coil is perfectly accessible and intuitive. It’s not confusing just because both icons are in the same spot.

were not talking about the icons, if you want to play fast and get good, you dont click the icons… cmon its like your argueing about how to play casually

for high speed competitive play alphabetical is not the more convenient arrangement for hotkeys, its not something that you can debate, because when I asked you about hitting M for move you said you dont use M for move… so you clearly lack a lot of knowledge of strategy within wc3

At least having a QWER layout would be nice as well. Warkeys has a QWER layout now, which is nice, but its got some problems. The GRID layout is just bad, and the default layout is even worse. What’s worse is that you can’t really change hotkeys for custom maps without going through a ton of headache.

And if you build units with 2 food your army is 45. what’s your point? 18 unit selection at the bare minimum is a must.

The 12 unit selection limitation has to do with the UI. We aren’t playing on 17 inch CRT monitors anymore, and most gamers these days know how to use a keyboard. The game’s massive UI and small selection cap are painfully outdated, so is the almost non-existant key mapping and unintuitive default hotkeys. If you like playing shooter games on inverted, that’s fine, but don’t try to tell me that it’s a feature of old games because all it does is make them feel like unplayable garbage to most people.

No, it doesn’t. It would have no impact on balance hardly at all. It would affect gameplay, sure, but the various small bugs in reforged have far more ‘balance’ impact than this change. Game balance is not so sensitive to changes to mechanics as people around here like to think, especially for a game like this one that is not very highly balanced in some areas. All players currently have maphacks against NE and UD, and it doesn’t even seem to be a top concern.

Changes to any of the maps (which are mostly imbalanced, even between starting locations) has far more impact than doing something that really offends purists like improving unit collision boxes and pathfinding. OMG you need 5 units to surround instead of 4? Orc is ruined forever!!! No, you just don’t want to adapt to change. Spend a week or two playing the game and you’ll adapt. It’s not much different than changing hotkeys or sensitivity in a game you’ve spent countless hours in. Pro gamers make changes to their controls so they can be more optimal in the future despite a short-term loss.

I understand I’m being a bit insensitive since this is a very old game and thus many people are very set in their ways of how their controls are laid out, how things look, etc, etc. But understand that many of those people are also being insensitive to people who just want to play the game and have a good experience. People coming in to the game see that the game’s shadows, sound, pathfinding, collision, hitboxes, UI, hotkeys, selection limitation, and environment are all bad. It doesn’t matter to them whether it was that way a year ago or not, and it shouldn’t.

If you spend the next 17 years playing with all the bugs and crap that are in Reforged right now, you’ll learn every detail of how they work and think that they’re important to balance like how you feel about all the bugs and crap in the base game. If you weren’t wise to Reforged you’d think that seeing NE goldmines and UD trees through fog of war were as much an intended feature as Hex preventing experience gain, or all the orb effect bugs.

1 Like

good points, I can support that :+1:

I have always said unit selection should be increased to either 16 or 20 (but not unlimited) at least for ranked ladder play

custom games should 100% allow unlimited unit selection! (not sure about campaign though, maybe it would be based on difficulty)

but you are correct, it really boils down to the UI/HuD which I really hope they release the new one soon

Yes, it does. The game is designed around a certain selection size. If you could group an entire army without limit, it would be much easier unless you also rebalanced the game to compensate. I’m not saying that can’t be done. They could make every map a bit harder to balance it out, but they aren’t going to. They didn’t even put in all of what they already promised.

With the keybindings however, you were already able to change them, so this doesn’t really affect game balance. It would just mean no longer having to bother with the annoying text file.

i dont completely agree with that. maybe certain aspects would be easier, but it wouldnt be a huge advantage, and certain aspects would not be easier, and you would still have pro players using ctrl groups as normal

the problem is that, it encourages bad habits for new players… this game is not like other games, and the sad fact of this community is so many people want to pretend its sc2 or dota2 or whatever, and they want to have the same exact features as those games… but thats just not good design

look i agree that increasing unit selection to 16 or 20 would be fine, and have little to no impact while also allowing players to feel more comfortable

but theres also other better ways to improve the game, such as having preset control groups and/or icons for ctrl groups… we dont need unlimited unit selection (for ladder, cg can have unlimited), but we just need a slightly increased unit selection with other features for grouping our units

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/pre-set-control-groups-in-option/

have you tried using the QWER setup from my guide?

https://www.reddit.com/r/WC3/comments/69p3nv/improved_custom_hotkeys_setup_by_wtvr/

many people use it and nobody has said theres any issues with reforged as far as i know

I’ll give it a try, it looks like the same setup as the Warkeys QWER. It’s a pain to get used to, for sure, but I think it’ll pay off later if it stays compatible in the future. My worry is that when they do release an official keybind editor, it won’t work the same. I think I saw some issue the last time I played with resummoning a dead hero from the Altar using the new layout.

i thought you said warkeys layout has problem? I too noticed problems with warkeys, thats why I made my own separate setup, to fix those problems… Warkeys didnt used to have QWER (he recently added them) but theres still flaws with Warkeys, thats why I recommend trying mine out

the trick is to warm up your hand a little bit, keep your pinky on Ctrl and use your other fingers to repeatedly tap QWERQWERQWER over and over for like 5minutes, or inbetween games… within a week it will build up your muscle memory and you wont have to think about it anymore. All the other keys are directly around QWER (~ for idle worker, #keys for ctrl groups, tab, shift, etc)

it will, dont worry, I always update my guide with every patch

again, I have checked, double checked, triple checked, and rechecked again, to make sure my hotkey setup works properly… thousands of people have downloaded them, and when people have issues I usually get a msg about it.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I can also help show you things in custom/co-op games :slight_smile:

Having to move on a third party programm to do custom keybinds, such a shame we are on 2020.

really bro? is it that complicated? everybody uses apps on their phones, but oh no a simple tool for hotkeys and you cant handle it? lol

No I appreciate your help for the others give always good advice but, if they can do it like all others game for a simple way and in game.

did you even read the guide i keep posting a link to? the guide I posted above includes a customkeys.txt file

its just a basic text file, its only like 64kb in size. its part of the games internal files, thats how the game redefines customkeys

you dont need to download any 3rd party software UNLESS you feel the need to use a UI and fully customize things, but the option is still there and available for you to use

I changed between French and English sometimes and I prefer to stay by default. Shortcut sometimes change between language don’t know if it’s a bug.

Ill repeat this one more time… IF YOU ACTUALLY READ MY GUIDE it includes setups for English, French, and German keyboard layouts :slight_smile:

I dont think that would happen with my setup, you could just at least try it before claiming its broken, and maybe if you try it and find a bug and tell me, maybe I can fix it for you :slight_smile:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WC3/comments/69p3nv/improved_custom_hotkeys_setup_by_wtvr/

once again… click ^here^ for my guide :slight_smile:
just try the French ones and let me know if theres any issues

1 Like