Important,very big bug,LOCAL FILE CAN EDIT SOME CONFIG FILE

Hi, I want to report some bugs to you.
These have been maliciously used on BNET/W3C/NETEASE 1.32.9/1.32.10 for half a year now.

I suggest you remove Local files priority from your system.

These bugs do not require the use of any third party tools, just CASCVIEW, you can check out this video which is a typical maphack.

Local files in Reforged allow you to overwrite certain game files locally. This is usually just a nice feature and can be used for mundane things like changing ones main screen background.

Trying to replace important files will usually result in desyncs when playing with other people. However, there are certain async parameters that one can think of as merely visuals, which usually won’t cause any issues on that end. One of those is the Extended Line of Sight parameter (fatLOS) that can be checked to make units always appear on the main map regardless of Fog of War.

In this video I use the casc viewer to extract the unit.slk from the game files and then change every units fatLOS value to 1 (from 0) with the help of notepad++
All that is left to do is to enable local files by making a registry entry and putting the modified unit.slk in the proper folder/path.

As demonstrated this will effectively give you a sort of maphack for melee WC3. I don’t know if Blizzard is able to detect this, but it is doubtful considering it doesn’t actually edit the games memory like usual maphacks.

I do not think this is an issue as cheat prevention tools will detect the modified data files that were loaded and so flag the user as a potential cheater. This will usually go to some sort of anti-hack/cheat team which then verify that class of behavioural deviation is a deliberate modification of the game in order to gain advantage online and so flag the account, and any with a similar behaviour deviation, to be banned with the next ban wave. Bans are not issued immediately to obfuscate detection and slow down the development progress of cheat makers.

At least this is how I understand anti-cheat technology works.

no,blz cant verify this file,because its 1.18-1.32 local file fuctions,
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III]
“Allow Local Files”=dword:00000001

local file>war3patch.mpq > War3x.mpq > war3.mpq>map.w3x/w3m

Except they can verify that when playing melee the game data is not what it should be, or that the source of the data is not the CASC but rather a local file. There is all kinds of ways an anti-cheat system could work, however due to the nature of such systems their exact operation is not public.

In any case the best solution would be that competitive melee play is disabled if local files are enabled and used to modify the game data. If that is too complicated to implement an alternative solution would be to disable competitive melee modes when local files is enabled.

rip W3C & quenching, lol

Local files have always existed in the game, and probably so did these vulnerabilities. What is important to note is that you’re not correct in Blizzard not being able to verify this file: the file gets loaded by the game, which allows it to be checked in multiple ways, a couple of which are already a part of the lobby-joining process but which I won’t explicate because it’s not in the scope of this post.

Especially for melee maps, it would be trivial to detect modifications to these files and subsequently ban the offenders.

And, while I’m here, your load order isn’t correct either, at least not for some of the later versions. First of all the MPQs don’t even exist after 1.30.0, but the more important part is that the current order is Local files->Map files-> Game files, the latter two having their own sub-directories to consider for hd, teen, and localization needs