I didn't want Reforged

Maybe I have to blame myself for not keeping up on all gaming news (should I have to?) but I was caught completely off-guard by this Reforged nonsense.

I’ve owned and played WCIII and its expansion since they came out. Brilliant game, endless fun.

While trying to launch Warcraft Classic a few days ago I notice my launcher is updating my WCIII install…38 GB worth!

I was very confused at first, I could see it was updating to Reforged even though I never bought it or wanted it.

Now my game is stuck in this unplayable mess that I never signed up for, with no clear way to go back.

I turn to the internet and forums for help and WOAH…what a shuckshow this turned out to be.

I tossed my physical CDs back when I could just download through the launcher. How do I got back?

Also, I saw that ‘apology’…You are sorry I didn’t get the experience I wanted? Who do you think you are? Seriously, how dare you? What kind of person are you? I didn’t want ANY ‘experience’. I didn’t want or request or pay for this at all.

Good luck getting any more money out of me.

Moderator: Edited to remove masked obscenities.

47 Likes

You don’t have Reforged unless you bought it. And what exactly is “unplayable” for you? For me your post sounds like another QQ post we all have enough already.

6 Likes

Hey

I feel you. I am in the same boat as you. What you can do is to download the public test raum version now while it is still up. Its basically almost the same as the last classic version and for the time being it still supports battle.net functionality. I myself downloaded it and backed it up just in case. Hope that helps.

Cheers

6 Likes

Well, I never bought it, and yet my WCIII install was updated to it. Maybe you can tell me what happened?

8 Likes

This kind of reply is absolutely atrocious. You legitimately think its ok for Blizzard to force a user to download and store 28GB worth of data that they never wanted and will never use?

Not only that but they also overwrite the original game folder, all its save files, and custom maps.

This is not okay, this is rent seeking in the form of hard-drive space and Blizzard should be ashamed about this course of action.

17 Likes

Thank you for this. I will attempt when I get home!

1 Like

See it this way. W3 Classic has been updated with a new client worth of 28 GB. That’s it.

First release of WoW was…what? Few G’s ? How much is WoW now?

(checking …)

69.4 GB and I didn’t updated in some time.

Now, if someone is subbing just to play the Classic version or Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King ( within the Retail that is ) , guess what?

Exactly!

You are really missing the point. I have the room on my HD. The problem is my game I’ve owned for years getting destroyed and rendered unplayable by me. Without my intervention. I didn’t want reforged, I never signed up for it, I never bought it. It over wrote my game against my will. Carrying on about how large games are nowadays is quite the strawman.

7 Likes

Someone who plays WoW buys intentionally and knowingly into that kind of experience, whereas you would think that people who bought WC3 would retain access to that version indefinitely, so long as it is supported by your PC.

I personally often don’t play games for that long, and we all have to acknowledge the evolutions in the gaming world, but the way in which this change was brought about is wrong.

That being said, I agree that, in this day and age, a 28gb download and disk space isn’t such a big deal.

2 Likes

The Classic game which you are referring to, is playable. Very playable that is. Without Ladders, Ranks and Profiles. But very playable.

For Ladders, Ranks and Profiles, you may check the lots of threads already made here , which can explain you how to do it.

28GB of useless data. As useless as your comment.

26 Likes

That I pretty much agree. But I believe it’s very clear that this …“is the way” and they will not go back to the old Client + BNet 1.0 for…solid reasons, even if you like them or not.

Kabal is a troll on these forums. He likes to whiteknight and bait people.

16 Likes

This is the link to the download page.

Its the last game under classic games

Always happy to help :slight_smile:

Cheers

3 Likes

You do realize right Kabal, that players shoudn’t have to scour the internet for fixes to issues that should never have existed in the first place? Activison-Blizzard should have never touched the classic version, let alone stand drop the reforged version ontop of it.

8 Likes

No, wrong.

Maybe after I get off work and apply some advice given me earlier in this thread. But as of right now, no my game is no longer playable, let alone ‘very playable’.

I am ok with no bnet, as that is a service and separate from my game, and if they deny me access to that without updating, I suppose they are technically have the right to do that.

6 Likes

I have a general understanding of the reasons and I think they are sound. I also understand that, more and more, ‘games’ are web-based clients and as such you cannot be guaranteed indefinite access. However, this was never the model under WC3 was originally sold, and that’s the main issue at hand.

I’m personally fine with the new model overall and, while I’m generally unimpressed and disappointed with the direction that Blizzard chose for Reforged, for me they don’t rise to the kind of issues I’d consider requesting a refund for.

1 Like

Fair enough! They should at least speak about this change before doing it … but … it is what it is. For technical reasons, i very much understand them why this change.

So again, it sucks, but nothing can be done. You either go on the official PTR until they update the Reforged client with the Classic features, aka Ladders, Ranks, Profiles, Clans, etc or … go “private server” or even better ( if that’s what you wish ), to move on!

Either choice I respect it, but … I am SO tired of seeing THE same threads over and over again about THE same subject over and over again, made by (almost) THE same people, under different accounts, over and over again.

6 Likes

Yes, you get the new launcher but you don’t own Reforged.

You think other game’s server get taken down because the company doesn’t want to support it anymore? Some games are unplayable after 4 years. 28GB is nothing. If you really have trouble storing it, I suggest you to come back to the future or invest the time raging about it in getting a short time job. 20 minutes on an under payed job will get you a new HDD or get a used one. Quick Google and I found a 80GB HDD for under 2€. Imagine how many Memes you can store on it along with the client.

3 Likes

That is clearly not the case. I wish a new launcher was all that happened.