How to make a REMASTER of an RTS

It’s not directly about Warcraft III, but it’s RELEVANT (STOP DELETING MY POSTS) for Blizzard to learn from Past failures (if they ever will):

The C&C Remaster is NUTS! I can only say: GOOD JOB €A!

They even managed to make the engine run @144 Hz and not like Blizzard to make the mouse work for 144 Hz, but to keep the animations @25 Fps :smiley:

Really, shame on you Blizzard, shame one you!

18 Likes

A remaster of an RTS is usually as easy as improving Skins and compatibility with modern operating systems.

A “good remaster” adds modern basic functions that in his time did not have the Game and correct some bugs.

Blizzard blessed us that it was going to be like a DLC. With a new skins campaign and more improvements and in the end the game still fails to fulfill what the Classic has.

8 Likes

shhh dont tell anyone but you just ate the whole fishing boat from EA …

ehm… SC remastered is great tbh…

5 Likes

Sad that all the work on reforged graphics is wasted since its such garbage that most just use the old beautiful graphics.

6 Likes

The problem is that WC3 isn’t “remastered”. That’s why it’s called “reforged”. Note that when you reforge a sword it may become something totally different. That’s why it’s not named: “WC3: Remastered”. Basically they wanted to give MORE than a remaster, but in the process they gave LESS than a remaster.

9 Likes

If these graphics come cradle a decent platform and the job complete. That is, the background has the same work as the characters. As the classic had. And the cinematics that promised where those graphics were going to look.
People would love them.

But instead they look like the Graphics of an Indi Game of those that have the model of the pj but the background is cubes XD

1 Like

c & c is just a pixle reskin for 40$ and no where near the level of work put into wc3 with all the new models and texture…

2 Likes

Isn’t Warcraft 3 Reforged a pixel reskin by that same logic? It’s just more pixels!

4 Likes

when it comes to this game, this community has no logic, i am now 100% sure that nothing blizzard could have done to change this hate train, even if the release was better

1 Like

Every video game since 1972 has just been a pixel reskin of Pong.

6 Likes

putting more work into something does not mean more quality.

Reforged makes this clear. They put enormous effort into making the sea gloves that nobody cares about. but we don’t have a Malfurion model on foot.

1 Like

i am now 100% sure that nothing blizzard could have done to change this hate train, even if the release was better

So, people aren’t allowed to criticize a low quality product? In fact such a low quality, that this remaster happens to run worse, and deliver less than the original did. It should be the opposite.

Quit using this kind of non-arguments. Want to debate? Then address the arguments of the posts.

6 Likes

C&C Remaster is so much more than a “pixel reskin” see here https://www.ea.com/games/command-and-conquer/command-and-conquer-remastered/features but more importantly they deliver what they advertised and they do updates on regular basis… I mean just look at this https://www.ea.com/games/command-and-conquer/command-and-conquer-remastered/news and this https://www.ea.com/games/command-and-conquer/command-and-conquer-remastered/news/launch-update-patch:

1. Complete several of the top community requested features which just missed the launch date, including items like Private Game Lobbies and a choosing sub-factions for RA Quickmatch

What did Blizzard do in this time? nothing useful.

6 Likes

Personally I never followed C&C to need to play it but Westwood have been my fave company from before Blizzard some of their first RTS like Dune 2, some adventure games like Kyrandia and rpg like Lands of lore series, they are among the best of that time. I find inspiration from their oldest gems when I try to make some games.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure that if the game was properly working this would have never happened

6 Likes

They could have done a good job. Nobody that was playing Warcraft 3 before Reforged wanted less of a game but with 26 more gigs of graphics. If they released a shinier Warcraft 3, with updated features kind of like what SC2 has then hardly anyone would complain. Heck, if they didn’t spend 2+ years “developing” a game just to release a buggy mess a lot less people would have complained. I mean the game came out in 2002, it shouldn’t be that hard to modernize it and keep the gameplay the same.

7 Likes

Even if they had released a clean game and restore the features later no one would have complained. It’s the shame level of the overall product that left everyone astonished. Add the fact that the price was ridiculous for the quantity of bugs and missing features. Add that it was Blizzard. I mean… ehi… it’s Blizzard…

5 Likes

Whats not properly working? it has bugs, alots of em have been fixed, im not saying the release was good, but its like the hate train dosent even care, messy and buggy UI menu? dont know what ur talking about, it had low fps in beta, but now its smooth, lags? 90% of my games are lag free, yes in 4vs4 and bigger games sometimes the ping gets higher, but i play custom maps with 12+ players and its lag free

desync is a problem and they are addressing it, its not happening often I must say. i have good fps , 100+ altough its not a smooth as in classic, yes.

missing clans and ladders are addressed, i know its been way too much time for this to be released, but they are creating something new and improved so why hate them on that? I remmber back then u couldnt ever play a custom game without lags, the host was hosting the game and if it was far from u it was unplayable, i remmber i was forced to play with people from same country (old times)

the things i can geniully critize on is the lack of missing animations on heroes, the little spikes and fps drops and few other things, other then that the game is stable and fun, sure its not perfect, but way better than those clueless purists claim and whine nonstop

btw the whining about “visibility” and “colors” of the reforged graphics being unplayable prooves my point, its not as easy on the eye as classic, but you gotta get used to things u know? better graphics comes with a cost of visibility in terms of RTS, you must understand this, but no, everyone is like “graphics are ugly and unplayable” not true, most detailed and prettiest graphics we got on an RTS those days, yes better then totalwar aswell… so comparing it to c&c is ridicules, also I was a AOE:III DE beta tester, graphics are no where near as impressive as reforged

Instead, today I played 1 game of 3vs3 the WarRace.
Before starting the game the creator of the game asked everyone if they know how to play so that no one leaves and that we are going to play post. That he is tired that people always go to him.

Less than 5 minutes go by and I get disconnected. I had intention to open with other things and it continued as if nothing.

No lag, no reconnect screen. I directly kick myself out.

As much as I try to love the Game. Games make you hate.

4 Likes