How do I install classic WC3?

I have tried downloading the installers from the ‘Games and Subscriptions | Classic Games’ section of my accounts page, but those just install the Reforged edition of the game.

There are classic installers available in one of the posts here in the Forums

No multiplayer though…

Classic = the original graphics within the new Reforged app

Legacy = the original game on an older patch (aka RoC+TFT)

Eurobattle Net allows players to connect and play online using older patches, obviously its a small player base and mostly used for DotA, but it is still possible

1 Like

Hint: :pirate_flag:

3 Likes

Are there any official updates that I can apply to those 1.27 versions? I think that there are some out there, but anything that I have used has just installed the Reforged edition of the game.
That version just doesnt run very well on my system.

Not officially.

1.27a/1.27b tend to be the versions that most people approve of, so they are a safe bet.

As for other versions, you’ll have to search around for sites that have kept an archive of the patches. It looks like there’s a link to a patch archive on the forum post I linked above.

Keep in mind that no matter which version you use, there’s no online play (on Battlenet). In fact, most of the versions will try to update to Reforged if you even attempt to connect to Battlenet.

i run multiple versions of the game for the sake of archiving replays, Ive found most versions between 1.24 - 1.28 work smoothly, although I had problems running some replays on 1.30/1.31 and figuring out how to fix it took a bit of work

I’ve heard people say v1.31 has more advanced map editor features, but the computerAI is buggy and single player campaign was messed up in patch 1.30

1.26 and 1.28 can both be played online using EBN servers (however theres a smaller # of users obviously), and they also seem flawless for single player campaign IMO

I found it very simple to prevent the older versions from trying to update or connect to bnet, and you can always just say no its not a big deal

it is possible to install patch 1.28 or 1.30 but it can be a bit tricky since you cant just update 1.27… I believe they can be found on thive

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/wc3-download-archive-1-00-1-31-1-beta-demo.326836/

scroll part way down and click “game files”

are you talking about 1.27? why doesnt 1.27 run well for you? i dont think updating to 1.28 will change that

if you are trying to ask the question “how do you run the legacy edition of the game on the latest patch?” you cannot do that… if you want to play online on Bnet on the latest patch then you need to run Reforged… if you cannot run Reforged smoothly try reducing your graphics settings, make sure your computer drivers are fully updated and not getting slowdown from junk running in the background, or get a new PC

CLASSIC is a graphical setting within the Options menu of Reforged, as I mentioned previously

LEGACY means running an older patch version of the original game, without the ability to access Bnet

people need to learn how to differentiate between these 2 things when discussing or asking for help about the game… the links posted by Leviathan are for the Legacy editions of the game, and they cannot access Bnet

Agreed.

That was more a warning for the OP not to accept the update when it pops up.

Ah good point. I edited “on Battlenet” into my reply above.