High HDD usage ..but Reforged is installed in another HDD!

Hi, I wish I could write a clearer Topic title but couldn’t find anything better, so forgive me in advance for this.
My main HDD (c:) is a 512 gb SSD, with Win10 and the whole Blizzard app installed.
My Pc has got also 2 other mechanical HDDs .
Other specs : 16GB Ram, Geforce 1050XT 4gb, Intel I7 (old gen, can’t remember which one).
The problem is that Reforged seems to use at least one of the mechanical Hdds A LOT!
It’s particularly evident when I exit the game : I can hear the mechanical HDD “scratching” and working for dozens of seconds.
I am no expert, but it seems to me that Warcraft needs to clear the cache or something like that, and it is as if the cache was on a secondary Hdd…but I double-checked and my Blizzard folder is and always was on default location, C: .
Also, on my SDD (c:) I have 171gbs free, so It’s not a problem of low space on the hdd.
One example to be perfectly clear of the situation : I usually don’t do long play sessions , I am replaying the Single player campaing, and I play at best 1 mission each session.
A few days ago I had a long session (Like, 2missions and started the Rexxar bonus campaign) : upon the exit from Reforged and returning in Win10 ambient, the secondary mechanical HDD worked like crazy for like 5MINUTES, without even letting the mouse cursor to move.
Is this a known bug, or is there any solution to this? It’s obviously not normal, and it’s for sure poor memory usage, but if you can advise with some troubleshoot, I’d be happy to try it.
Forgive me for my poor english.
Thank you.

If you see a lot of activity on your OS drive while the game is running, that is because of virtual memory. Even if you have a lot of RAM on your system, windows uses virtual memory to ensure plenty of your RAM remains available for use. Games don’t access other drives just for fun.

If the game is installed on your OS drive, the only other explanation is your Documents folder is on one of the hard drives. Warcraft III stores its maps in your Documents folder, and this is the only time it would be accessing any drive other than the one its installed on. You can fix this by relocating your documents folder to the OS drive.

Thanks for the answer, but unfortunately your premises are not what I am experiencing…
My win10 install is totally default (ie: my documents folder is in c:), I never changed any setting. so the Documents folder is in c:.
My Blizzard install is totally default (C:)
My C:\ Hdd is an SSD with plenty of free space.
And despite all this, Warcraft reforged uses my secondary mechanical hard drive , and I can’t understand why. I can even hear the scratching of the secondary driver when Reforged loads a map (and, as I already said, when I exit the game, it scratches and works A LOT ).
I still ask help, anyone else with similar behaviour out there?

I have the exact same behavior as you, except in my case it’s by design.

They’re pretty much the only possibilities. The game does not access drives on which it doesn’t have data stored. If it is accessing a particular drive, there is data for the game on it.

I don’t think you actually checked your documents folder, as it’s actually a very common situation where it’s on a different drive from the install.

My game is installed on the C: drive but my documents folder is in the D: drive. So the game will be accessing the D drive a lot:

If you click on your documents folder via the bar on the side of File Explorer, or from the start menu, it does not show the actual location, so it isn’t actually located where you think it is. You have to navigate to the actual folder on disk for the correct path. You can also check the folder location by right clicking on wherever you access your docs folder and hitting properties:
Imgur

Please show me this window from your PC and also the path to your war3 install before dismissing me.

You said where your war3 install is but you didn’t show the path to your documents folder. This is what matters.

You said yourself that you hear HDD activity when the game loads a map. This tells me that your documents folder is in fact on a different drive as I explained but you denied. Because, as I explained, maps are stored in a folder in your Documents folder. NOT where the game was installed. Only the EXE and the data files are installed to the C drive. The game saves tons of data to the documents folder as described above.

So before dismissing me a second time, please actually check where your documents folder is located and post a link to a screenshot as I have above.

Sure thing, I’d have preferred you could believe me on the word instead of assuming I can’t discern in what drive I install my stuff, but if it can help, here are the snapshots . Thanks for your time:
My Documents folder (Actually, the warcraft 3 folder inside Documents):

https://postimg.cc/r0nLntmt

And my Warcraft install folder :

https://postimg.cc/069R9CKw

Wish it can help understanding the situation. Thanks

p.s.: oh, another thing : “Quenching” folder is empy (Tried to install the mod a time I believe, but immediately uninstalled), and I installed Chronicles of Second war just today, but the erratic behaviour was always here from day one, before any addons . No other addons ever installed.

1 Like

Well

1. you’d be surprised how many people don’t know about this stuff, and
  2. You seemed too dismissive to actually have checked, so my apologies if that wasnt the case.

Well the only remaining thing I can consider is where is your swap file located? It absolutely should be on the SSD and not on a platter, but figured I’d check.

Like I said though, I have not observed the game accessing any drive other than 1) the one it was installed on and 2) the drive your Documents folder is in. The drive your swap file is on is the third possibility.

The only suggestion I can come up with assuming your swap file is on the C drive is to back up and delete the warcraft III folder in your documents folder, and then uninstall the game and reinstall.

Actually the final bit of advice would be to do a security scan with Windows Defender or whatever third party software you might use. Because as I said, the game does not access data other than in those three locations I listed, so the only other thing besides malware would be pure coincidence of the drive seeing activity while you’re playing.

如果你是中国人,就用中文交流,另外有个叫jack后缀的人,你最好别信他,是一个

You can call me names in Chinese, I will still flag your posts. He can and should believe me, because I am offering him help in good faith.

This is an English forum, if you can post in English you should be doing so. Posting in Chinese is a weak attempt at hiding what you’re saying from people whom you apparently think don’t know what Google Translate is.

The Blizzard reps only provide support in English, so even if this wasn’t the case, doing so is useless as the tech reps will not be able to help you.

You should only even be posting in here to help the person asking for help. If you can’t do anything but make personal attacks against me, you are wasting not just your time and mine, but also that of the person seeking help.

Well, I tried making a scan with malwarebytes, with Defender, and my sistem is perfectly clean. I opened the task manager while playing, and while it definitely loads and "works with C:, it also often access at E:\ (which is the first of my 2 mechanical drives), almost like it is clearing cache or virtual memory. Too bad there’s NO virtual memory on the drive.
While the mistery behind all this is driving me a bit crazy at the though,TBH I am thanking the fact that I buyed reforged just to make a nostalgia trip (like many I believe!) with the single campaign and I’m just playing single player content, so the “weird behaviour” is not ruining too much the fun.
20years ago playing online would have been terrible (also because the game can’t do more than 40-80fps at whathever graphic settings I choose, while even diablo4 runs without problem at almost max settings!).
I am a bit saddened by the state of the client, though.
Maybe some time in the future I will try to uninstall Everything Blizzard related and trying a new fresh install. Thanks again for your time.

I’m out of ideas, but as long as you’ve been able to enjoy the game it’s just a minor distraction.

I can assure you that, especially if you have a clean security scan, that the game isn’t conducting any funny business with your PC. :slight_smile:

Sorry I couldn’t help you solve the mystery.