HELP, how do i get the old voicelines back?

I REALY wanna play Warcraft 3 Campaign, with the old (german) Voicelines! But they are removed, and i have no idea how / where to fix this.

PLEASE HELP…

There is no fix other than modifying the game. The old voices are gone. To use them, you’ll have to install an old version of the game and keep it offline so it doesn’t update.

2 Likes

You are doing good jobb my friend^^

In order to get the old voicelines, you want to download and play Warcraft III. But Activision Blizzard no longer offers downloads for Warcraft III other than from an obscure ftp link that Activision Blizzard does not publicize. Instead, Activision Blizzard is only interested to offer you Reforged.

To download Warcraft III, you will need a CD key which can no longer be purchased. So find your old CD, get the keys from it, and then record them somewhere. Then, there are legitimate third party sites like Hive Workshop that host download links to Warcraft III and this is allowed because after downloading you must enter the CD to play still. Some of the links even download from battle.net but that might only be for the English version.

The best case scenario is that some of us saw this coming and still have a copy of Warcraft III on our computer that is not Reforged, so that we can still play. Ideally, since you apparently know the “original voices” exist, then you should go to your personal hard drive backup from whenever you heard the “original voices” and play that version. That’s the most reliable way, since Activision no longer publicly offers it.

The original installers and disc images are easily available on the internet.

But as I said before, you can not go online or else it will patch to the latest version. So you’ll only be able to use it to play the campaign or play vs computer.

I dunno why they were changed (censoring issues most likely, the English voices are the same but some of the joke lines were removed).

Unless they were poor quality, I’m not sure why they’d be changed. But i’m also not sure why it’s a big deal. You clearly understand English,why not just use the English voices? Sure, it might not be ideal in your circumstances, but it’s probably better than listening to bad German voices. In most games you’re lucky to get full audio support in a language other than English or Japanese.

It was other technology that they used for War3 (older) and for Reforged (newer).
Is like older H.264 is not compatible with the newer H.265 (this was just an example)!

In conclusion they cannot combine new game with old sounds…

No. I think you are wrong. The newer code can run custom maps made in the older map editor, and I was pretty sure that included old sound files imported in the map editor.

So, actually, I think it is more likely a legal thing. It might be that for putting the new Reforged title on the game, they needed to renew the rights to the sounds with the corresponding voice actors. And they probably did not, in order to save money, or whatever.

I believe it is 100% possible to make a custom mod that puts the old sound files back. I have heard rumors of people doing it. Reforged does not do it not because they cannot, but because they don’t feel like it. That was my understanding.

Or they just couldn’t secure those rights, sometimes people refuse, and it’s not about money. Regardless, you’re probably right on this.

1 Like

I don’t think that is correct to be honest. While I cannot know of the contracts that happened between the two parties (The voice actors & ActiBlizz), from what I understand it usually comes down to whether the voice actors gave away their rights to use those lines as recorded by them at that point in time - which they usually do, standard practice these days IIRC.

They might have wanted to record brand new ones but couldn’t convince those people to come back to re-record lines, either due to monetary issues (Not paid enough) or possibly some people being dead, or getting them to the studio to record would be too expensive for the company on top of the pay they’d have to give.
As an example, they couldn’t get Matthew Yang King to reprise his role as Illidan in Burning Crusade due to issues with the guild union he is part of. Though apparently he voiced a different character in MoP.
Another is Justin Gross, the original Arthas VA. He got offered a ridiculously low sum to return in WoTLK so he refused and they got someone else instead.

1 Like

Maybe this will help: Classic / Pre-Reforged Voices Fix (fixed v1.32.7 problem)

(German: WCIII Originale Deutsche Synchro Fix (v1.32.7 Problem behoben))