Game causes computer shutdown when playing in reforged mode

Has anyone else experienced this bug that when playing with the reforged graphics turned on the game causes your computer to just restart? To clarify there is no blue screen or anything like that it’s as if the power suddenly cuts off to the computer and restarts.

I would also like to mention that I do not think this is a hardware issue since I am able to play other games without any shutdown issues. I have further verified that it is likely not a power supply issue either as I have run the computer under full load for a sustained period by running a 4k firestrike stress test with no issues.

Basic specs on my computer are as follows:

32 GB of Ram
RTX 2080 TI
Intel I9 9900k
850 Watt Power Supply

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This does not prove that it is not a hardware issue. It just proves that the system is stable running other workloads.

I have seen similar cases reported for AMD CPU systems with other games. The cause was an unstable overclock on the CPU for some workloads.

First rule out that it is not an overclocking stability issue. If anything is overclocked, revert it to stock. This includes memory, since Intel is rather conservative with their memory speeds. I am not sure if GPUs can cause the same symptoms when overclocked, since usually they crash and cause BSoDs instead, but better make sure that is operating stock as well even if it was OCed at the factory.

Next rule out that it is not a motherboard overclocking problem. Yes motherboard vendors can overclock CPUs out the box just to make it seem like their board performs better than their competitors, it is a pretty big problem that recently was exposed. Often updating the BIOS is enough since later ones use more stable/closer to stock values.

Then make sure Windows 10 is up to date (major version of at most a year old). Then make sure the latest drivers are installed from Intel. This is so that the OS manages the CPU correctly in case there is an obscure driver bug that is causing the stability problems.

If the system is still unstable when running Warcraft III with Reforged graphics then check if the CPU is respecting boost duration. If not then try setting the boost durations to Intel’s official guidelines.

Power shutdown can also be caused if the PSU is overheating. Check that it is well ventilated. The 850 Watt rating is often with an ambient of ~20 degrees with no airflow impendence so in hot summer days inside a case with dust build up it can be significantly lower.

If at any time Warcraft III does become stable then you can start reapplying overclocks, possibly finding new stable values for them.

Thanks for the brainstorm, it’s super appreciated. I could see it being an overclocking issue. I’ll check on the issues you listed and report back what I found.

Me happened too, it happen lately

My situation is worse. Ever since I started playing Warcraft III: Reforged, my computer randomly restarts no matter what I’m doing about 3-5 minutes after I boot it up for the first time on any given day. Thankfully (sort of…) this only happens once, and then it is fine for the rest of my sitting.

Yikes Blizz… This is what happens when you outsource I suppose (Lemon Sky). They took that part down from google by the way. Either way, I LOVE the wc3 map editor system and that’s all I ever really wanted to play with so I don’t care about any of this. I just think it’s unprofessional and silly. GG

Hey Maliken,

If the computer is restarting, that would indicate a deeper problem within the computer itself. You can read about this here.

As I have mentioned many times in topics like these. Operating systems are designed to prevent user space applications from causing this. As such an application, like Warcraft III, cannot cause the system to shutdown, restart or do anything else that could be deemed malicious behaviour.

If this behaviour does occur then either there is a driver bug, which is not the responsibility of the application developer but rather the driver or operating system developer, or the hardware itself is malfunctioning.

Restarts are usually a sign of system instability. This can be due to overheating, overclocking or imminent hardware failure. Driver bugs usually cause BSoDs, but in the case of CPU or GPU control can also cause restarts due to not manging the devices correctly or getting them into a bugged state.

Wow! Geez, DrSuperGood, have you heard of the same client problems on other games? Especially involved old games stores on pc on other services? The solution lies ahead - purge of folder with client config and then reenabling it/ Or trying to switch VCard settinds to the minimal -which make no sence. Fiirst step is trying to play on fresh installed system and clean brand new account.
If that worked? That eliminates problem with hardware. Next step is to determime which file made the mess. In conclutiom - must purge all of your previous installs ans all folders in program files which relates ti Blizzard/ Perfectky try to backup ALL your data on your system(please advise on your local redistrybutor of how its done()NEVER TRY TO MAKE THINGS ON YOUR OWN - if you dont know of how system works)

Yes all the time. If a system crashes when playing a game it is something wrong with the system. So often it turns out to be unstable memory, power supply issues with the CPU or a faulty GPU.

I give third party tech support advice for many games, not just Warcraft III.