For those who want to play Classic Warcraft 3

What is fun is that all of you poor masochistic creatures will still buy Diablo IV when it comes out and fill Blizzard’s pockets eventhough you know they are treating us like crap. You will buy it and you will scream “yess master, slap me some more”…

5 Likes

sad but true :smiley:

Hi there, it might be a stupid question but can you maybe get this done for the german version? We would like to play it at a lanparty soon, and we do have the CDs but I can’t get any patch after 1.27b. Anyway keep up the great post!

i have a retail copy and the patch 1.27b Ita, but there is a issue with widescreen.
There is some way for upload at least at the last xp patch 1.29.2?

Good looking out. I’ve been aching to play wc3 again and I’ve been holding out for reforged with high hopes. Luckily I’ve long since stopped preordering games.

With the garbage they tried to pull with this release, I’ve gone ahead and downloaded the classic, because I’m never financially backing Activision’s BS with this game. If I do get the game, it’s going to be long after I’ve already replayed through the classic for free, when it’s severely discounted, and from a site like g2a so that Activision never gets a dollar of mine. Might even pirate when a cracked version becomes available after years of not pirating anything anymore.

I swear these companies are competing for everyone’s hatred. I think it’s time for the old leaders in the gaming industry to rot away and for new companies to take the AAA reigns.

Edit: Removed Blizzard’s name in place of Activision. Blizzard doesn’t exist anymore.

I think you can change the language as long as you have a client below 1.27b (and have a cd key). Check this thread out. Change WC3 Language installation - #3 by multijet-2548

Unfortunately I don’t think you can use this method on any builds above 1.27b as this method requires you to reinstall the game. All versions need to be downloaded as a complete build due to not being able to patch past this point.

i hate to say this but do you really think they care about fans? they are banning people for 1-2 days just for asking for a refund of the new WC3. Blizz are just another corporation with money on their mind and thats all… the keep shafting the players and its annoying. I didnt even freakin purchase the stupid reforge and im affected, pisses me off.

2 Likes

Completely agree. This blunder was possible because of two things:

1. Blizzard is out of touch and don’t understand their original consumer base.
  2. Mismanagement and greed on wanting to monetize on existing IPs.
1 Like

I just tried to play LAN on the Classic PTR version without issues. I did with the PC connected to the Internet tho, but used the LAN option.

Please do not threaten us with a good time lol…

That’s… That’s dangerous.

Connecting to a VPN where you do not know and trust (like a proper paid VPN, an university or work VPN, or a server you built yourself) is basically inviting people to use your computer for botnets.

Hey, could you tell us which PTR build you used? Also, can we get more confirmations? I still can’t LAN on the 1.30.1 PTR build.

In the case of using VPN’s you don’t know, yes its unsecure. If you build it yourself and generate the .ovpn files yourself you can choose who has access and who doesn’t. The pivpn software allows you to monitor who is currently connected to your network, and you have to manually add and remove people from the client and revoke list. It’s very secure.

Yeah but you need to be a little tech savy to set up that . Your average player who just wants to play some war3 online will more then likely just go to software like w3connect instead, exposing such insecurities.

This is exactly why I haven’t fired up War3 for several months. Since 2018, every time I’d fire it up they would have some new update and it would break more and more and more of the game. And for what? Cross-region play? We didn’t need that; we had ENT bots for that. Searching game names? We had the entgaming (.net) website for that. Maphacks? Please. They didn’t care about that for the previous DECADE. Players just got click detectors and used the BOTS to IP ban players. Let’s see … they gave us more players? But they had already broken the AI logic so you could never actually play with that 1v23c you wanted. Even the 1v11c was broken by then.

Ironically, even shaking things up to remove the maphackers was a mistake; maphack would allow OBSERVERS to ZOOM OUT for a melee game. Maphack also allowed you to see exact ms of attack speeds. But did Blizzard add that back in? No.

Basically, the old guard saw this train wreck coming a long time off. Shame.

1 Like

Yeah, its a bit of a technical hurdle but definitely doable. I suggested it because we used to use a bunch of services like Garena and Hamachi on and off. I just got fed up after having to switching so many times due to services going down etc.

Now I don’t have to really worry about it any of that. Once everything is set up it’s really easy to get your friends to connect and play. Its not too complicated to set up either if you put your mind to it, it just requires a bit of linux and networking knowledge.

For people who are really paranoid about security, you can also subnet your network and isolate the device you run your VPN on. While that is also a technical solution, if you can figure out how to set up a VPN you should have no problem doing that.

It seems to me that Blizzard doesn’t really understand their older fanbase. I knew that they were going to mess up the release of Reforged, but I never imagined that it would be this bad. Honestly I’m kind of kicking myself now for not foreseeing how they would axe the old client and update the bnet terms of service to the one they use for StarCraft 2.

1 Like

@GiantAxe Thank you for this man. I might disagree a little bit with what you said about intellectual property here but thank you anyways.

I had given up hope of playing online again but then I totally forgot I played on Hamachi for a time with old buds. Very nice to see it’s still going. This was before I switched to W3Arena, but then W3Arena got shut down by Blizzard Activision on par with the supposed development of Reforged and basically forced everyone there back to Bnet to play with hackers and cheaters.

Now I literally CAN’T PLAY AT ALL with this supposed “up to date” client version and I never had plans to buy Reforged (and likely not ever now).

I have had my own Warcraft 3 Battlechest CDs along with legitimate CD keys too, legally purchased at the time. Nobody can physically stop you from reinstalling and staying with an earlier patch file, not even Activision. Missing from your guide: Virtual CDs (mounting .iso images, files) might be a thing too; you can legally own virtual discs / ROMs if you own a physical copy (under fair use policy), but not distribute them.

I thought Patch 1.26 would be enough as it was the patch that Blizzard left standing for years, but you’re right as not even 1.27 had that launcher yet.

Edit: Turns out you have to just give your WC3 CD keys to the machine online for your new Bnet client account. Wish I had some instructions on that (who’s going to know that the Bnet 2.0 client even exists if they’ve only just played Warcraft 3 before 2020?). Still not really optimistic about this.

Which is why Blizzard is loosing fans and support if they don’t get there sh*t together and make up for the fans. If no, well that’s why it’s call karma for them and Blizzard will probably have no fans anymore if they keep acting like this.

Thank you for your reply. I can of course install from the CDs with the original key but how do I go above 1.27b? Every time when I launched it want me to 1.3x something via battle net.

Go here Downloads – Blizzard Entertainment
Download Warcraft 3 Public Test Realm
It is pure and uncorrupted.

It’s censorship and it’s wrong.

1 Like