Fix the sound already

Ah that’s right, good point. Does that actually still happen? I didn’t think it did. And to be honest as I was writing that reply I thought there actually was an option for this like there is in SC2 (to turn off sound when game is minimized), but I looked around and couldn’t find anything (nothing in Regedit, nothing ingame)

Wrong. It was working as intended before they broke it. It’s not normal for the sound to continue playing when the game client is not in focus.

Also, when a ladder match is found, the game will open itself.

Why is idiots like this allowed to post on this forum? They are misleading some already incompetent developers even more. No wonder why this game has a ton of issues.

Thank you.

3 Likes

blizzard decided to change it so yes, it is working as intended.

It really wasn’t. It was running off of ancient aging technology that was abandoned and thus would not continue to be updated on newer OS’s. It would eventually fail to work entirely into the future, and on some systems right now already it was failing to initialized the sound system without some dedicated drivers (which, for the most part, people tend to not worry about because modern OSs usually have working sound out of the box).

I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve had WC3’s sound straight-up not work entirely for completely arbitrary reasons, or how many times the sound completely borks itself after a few games, or how bad the sound layering is, or how bad the number of supported sounds at one time is (something like only 16, which you can’t notice in a normal game but in a lot of custom maps it’s extremely noticable), or how bad the sound quality actually is sometimes and with some sound effects and with some maps (which is caused by a limitation of the sound formats in place, options being WAV which is uncompressed and thus really large or MP3 which has some of the most notorious compression in the audiophile world)

1 Like

That sounds more like a problem with you installing the wrong drivers, or messing up the settings on your computer. Given your post history on this forum, this is most likely the case.

3 Likes

Here’s another post I made in this thread:

The Warcraft 3 game window maximizing when you found a game was a necessary feature. It has to return.

Why is it so important?

• So you do not get frequent AFKers who minimized on mute and are unaware of when they find a game.
  • Players who are currently in queue get burned out by the game faster when they have to listen to the dreadful background sound effects while waiting. It was more refreshing to take a complete break from the game between queues doing something else in the background (homework, watching a TV show, YouTube, etc.).
  • Unfortunately (like the previous point), the sound is the only thing that lets you know when you find a game if you keep the window minimized while searching. It’s annoying and dreadful to have those WC3 sounds in the background while doing other things on your computer (paying bills, online errands, homework, etc.).
  • Sometimes when you manually maximize the game, you do not do it in time to see the race match-ups.

I remember when this feature worked, I did not mind waiting 30+ minutes for a game at 3 in the morning. I was a student then and still a WC3 addict. So I would queue for a game, minimize, and do my homework/studies; and if I found a game, I got that glorious sound and my screen would pop up. It was perfect. Those were the days.

Please keep this topic active and bumped. It needs to be fixed ASAP.

4 Likes

Good post. I completely agree. Its nice to see some competent people posting instead of the same crackheads spamming my thread.

3 Likes

It’s still not fixed

4 Likes

Any words on this? Its standard procedure from a developer that when he break things, he either fix it or at least gives an update… why is blizzard wondering about their bad reputation? its pretty obvious why people are annoyed

2 Likes

Bumping. Can we get a fix on this?

3 Likes

Nope, everything else works out of the box very easily. Except, you know, old aging abandoned games. Which WC3 thankfully is no longer.

Warcraft 3 was working out of the box, until pete stilwell broke the game completely. Do you got nothing better to do with your life than trolling?

1 Like

No it was not. It had unplayable low performance when running in D3D mode on Windows 10. It also only supported 4:3 resolutions. It did not even run on modern Mac OS at all.

All of these have been fixed by the recent patches.

The reason they moved to FMOD is because all their games use FMOD and they needed to upgrade the audio system as part of fixing Mac OS support.

It was working perfectly fine for me since release. I didnt have a single problem with the sound.

Also, why are you not banned yet?

2 Likes

Neither did I. The problem was with in game performance on Windows 10 being bad, no wide screen support and a lack of modern Mac OS support, hence why the patches were needed.

Some of the sound problems appear to be related to Mac OS compatibility as was hinted when they disabled MIDI ambient sounds, hence likely why they needed to migrate to FMOD. Any sound problems now are likely bugs with the migration but most of those have been fixed.

1 Like

Still not fixed for me either

4 Likes

Bump. still hasnt been fixed. Can you get to work already, or hire someone who can fix it?

4 Likes

Until an option is added to disable sound when minimized, you can hit Ctrl + S and Ctrl + M in game (or game menus) to disable sound and music appropriately. The same shortcut can also be used to enable them again.

Man, someone in this thread really needs some medicated wipes, that’s a lot of butthurt.

Yes, by the way. The answer to your question is yes. Pete Stilwell deliberately broke the sound so that it would be a nuisance to you specifically. I think he was saying something like “man, I totally hate that guy so I am going to make changes that will specifically keep music playing while tabbed out just to annoy him!”

3 Likes

Still hasnt been fixed. This is irresponsible by the developers.

5 Likes