Fix the sound already

So pete stilwell broke the sound for no reason. It was working perfectly before. Now It continues to play after minimizing the game. I dont want to listen to music and ambient sounds when the game is minimized while im waiting for a ladder game to be found. Fix this already, you broke it yourself and you have had 3 months to fix it. Im getting tired of this crap. Fix it or find someone who can fix it for you.

5 Likes

this is working as intended.

While this is fixed I would suggest using the windows sound mixer… It allows you to adjust or mute the sound of all opened programs. Greetings…

What does ctrl + S or ctrl + M do in lobby?! hmmmmm

Id rather have them fix it asap or find someone to fix it for them. Really, there was no reason to break the sound, it was working flawlessly.

1 Like

I’m not a developer so I can’t tell wether there’s a reason or not… I share your emotions that the game should be fixed… I was just offering a temporal solution…

1 Like

The sound broke because they moved the sound library the game used to FMOD which is the same sound library all their modern titles use. Obviously in moving to a new lib there will be bugs. It makes sense for them to move to the same library as all their other games as it means their devs only have to be familiar with a single sound lib.

???

This is working as intended so people can hear lobby noises like when a game is starting or when their ladder match has started while minimized / tabbed out.

Good way to fix the annoying background noise: Options->Sound->Uncheck Ambient Sound.

That should make it a lot more managable so you can watch videos in the background or something. Ctrl+M to enable/disable music when you deem fit (there really should be a hotkey for Ambient Sounds like there is for this though)

1 Like

no before it would automatically bring the game up from minimized. now when you minimize you hear the entire game no one wants to hear that when minimized.

4 Likes

Ah that’s right, good point. Does that actually still happen? I didn’t think it did. And to be honest as I was writing that reply I thought there actually was an option for this like there is in SC2 (to turn off sound when game is minimized), but I looked around and couldn’t find anything (nothing in Regedit, nothing ingame)

Wrong. It was working as intended before they broke it. It’s not normal for the sound to continue playing when the game client is not in focus.

Also, when a ladder match is found, the game will open itself.

Why is idiots like this allowed to post on this forum? They are misleading some already incompetent developers even more. No wonder why this game has a ton of issues.

Thank you.

3 Likes

blizzard decided to change it so yes, it is working as intended.

It really wasn’t. It was running off of ancient aging technology that was abandoned and thus would not continue to be updated on newer OS’s. It would eventually fail to work entirely into the future, and on some systems right now already it was failing to initialized the sound system without some dedicated drivers (which, for the most part, people tend to not worry about because modern OSs usually have working sound out of the box).

I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve had WC3’s sound straight-up not work entirely for completely arbitrary reasons, or how many times the sound completely borks itself after a few games, or how bad the sound layering is, or how bad the number of supported sounds at one time is (something like only 16, which you can’t notice in a normal game but in a lot of custom maps it’s extremely noticable), or how bad the sound quality actually is sometimes and with some sound effects and with some maps (which is caused by a limitation of the sound formats in place, options being WAV which is uncompressed and thus really large or MP3 which has some of the most notorious compression in the audiophile world)

1 Like

That sounds more like a problem with you installing the wrong drivers, or messing up the settings on your computer. Given your post history on this forum, this is most likely the case.

3 Likes

Here’s another post I made in this thread:

The Warcraft 3 game window maximizing when you found a game was a necessary feature. It has to return.

Why is it so important?

• So you do not get frequent AFKers who minimized on mute and are unaware of when they find a game.
  • Players who are currently in queue get burned out by the game faster when they have to listen to the dreadful background sound effects while waiting. It was more refreshing to take a complete break from the game between queues doing something else in the background (homework, watching a TV show, YouTube, etc.).
  • Unfortunately (like the previous point), the sound is the only thing that lets you know when you find a game if you keep the window minimized while searching. It’s annoying and dreadful to have those WC3 sounds in the background while doing other things on your computer (paying bills, online errands, homework, etc.).
  • Sometimes when you manually maximize the game, you do not do it in time to see the race match-ups.

I remember when this feature worked, I did not mind waiting 30+ minutes for a game at 3 in the morning. I was a student then and still a WC3 addict. So I would queue for a game, minimize, and do my homework/studies; and if I found a game, I got that glorious sound and my screen would pop up. It was perfect. Those were the days.

Please keep this topic active and bumped. It needs to be fixed ASAP.

4 Likes

Good post. I completely agree. Its nice to see some competent people posting instead of the same crackheads spamming my thread.

3 Likes

It’s still not fixed

4 Likes

Any words on this? Its standard procedure from a developer that when he break things, he either fix it or at least gives an update… why is blizzard wondering about their bad reputation? its pretty obvious why people are annoyed

2 Likes

Bumping. Can we get a fix on this?

3 Likes

Nope, everything else works out of the box very easily. Except, you know, old aging abandoned games. Which WC3 thankfully is no longer.