Fix settings for Random Hero maps please

Random Heroes (RH) is a semi-popular style of melee that could be a lot better. The default settings for RH need balance tweaks because: A) it spawns each players hero at the start of the game without the need of an altar, B) training a 2nd or 3rd hero is not randomized, and C) it is not possible to get an off-race hero. This means players must take it upon themselves to find/create correctly modified maps (which isnt always easy) in order to play the preferred RH settings.

copy paste for image:
https://i.imgur.com/BerILQC.jpg

I would like to ask the devs to improve the default in-game settings for RH to: A) require an altar, B) randomize 2nd and 3rd heroes (keep default cost at 425g/100w), and C) allow all heroes from any race especially neutral /tavern. If you make it like our current user-made maps, we just need a new [?] icon that says “Train any hero” at altar, and should work same as with or without Tavern. This way players can enjoy a balanced RH match without resorting to user-modified maps.

We should have the following options when hosting custom games:

• Random Hero [on/off] ← if Off, the rest will be disabled automatically
  • Require Altar for Random Heroes [yes/no] ← No means only 1 random hero to start
  • Allow Off-race for Random Heroes [yes/no] ← No should still allow neutral/tavern heroes
  • Allow both Random + Standard Hero choice [yes/no] ← Yes requires Altar

These should all be optional settings to toggle in the hosting menu. On top of that, sometimes a group of friends wants RH and some want standard heroes. Maybe we could allow players to have it both ways like with options for: RH only, RH + Standard, or Standard only. That way if somebody hosts RH + Standard, some players can pick RH and others can go standard (in the same game)

This is now a standard feature in W3Champions!!

Also might be fun to see this added to ranked/ladder games? Say if just two RH maps were added to the ladder pool they would only show up occasionally, and players could still choose to veto them… Although, I could see how it might be better to not allow off-race heroes for ranked play, so maybe only include tavern heroes and once a week RH could allow off-race for the day in ladder matches? Would make for some really rare icons to achieve many RH wins!

So, please improve RH settings for balanced games thanks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There isnt a Random Hero gametype made by Blizzard…

—> https://i.imgur.com/BerILQC.jpg <—

Obviously this isnt for the casual player, but it certainly does exist in the default settings! So, I don’t think it would be difficult for the devs to handle this one little balance tweak :slight_smile: like I said, if players didn’t have to resort to user-modified maps, maybe this would be a more popular playmode!

These kinds of improvements are whats needed to make Reforged as great as it can be, don’t let little things go ignored please. Especially considering how adding a few options to the custom hosting menu would be a one-time fix that would benefit the community for years

_
We should have the following options when hosting custom games:

• Random Hero [on/off] ← if Off, the rest will be disabled automatically
  • Require Altar for Random Heroes [yes/no] ← No means only 1 random hero to start
  • Allow Off-race for Random Heroes [yes/no] ← No should still allow neutral/tavern heroes
  • Allow both Random + Standard Hero choice [yes/no] ← Yes requires Altar
2 Likes

Whoa, i was thinking about making this thread myself. One thing i don’t agree though is C. First hero paladin as Undead? Might as well quit. And if you set random race + random hero it’s random enough.

1 Like

what if your playing teams, your ally could still help… or what if your opponent gets DK but is not undead? thats the point of RH, its supposed to mix things up and make things interesting and get people to try new strats they wouldnt normally do (for practice and for fun). If somebody plays UD everygame but gets a hero they never use, they might decide they like that hero and start trying a different race or whatever.

have you played any of the user-made RH maps? thats how most people like to play if they are going for RH, but anyway as I said before, there should be options… it would all be optional with settings so each player can choose their own preference. wouldn’t that be for the best? since so many people have different playstyles that they like?

Yes please this sounds great! it would give us access to all maps for RH without having to edit or download them ourselves while also allowing proper RH play for whatever settings people prefer

1 Like

Any word on this being a possibility? please :slight_smile:

This feature is now standard in W3Champions!!!