Desync caused from FPS Cap in options

Recently i discovered that Desync were caused reguarly when tabbing out of the game because of Maximum Background FPS.

i retested this 3 times with another user in the same lobby, when he had the “Background FPS” capped to 10 and tabbed out, it would desync him from the game. When he upped this to anything above 60-300 it stopped

I had this same issue myself, by changing the Background FPS cap to 60+ Desync were no longer caused by tabbing out of the game.

In theory, Background FPS cap set to anything below 60 has a extremely high chance to cause Desync, i would put this in regard to the engine not being properly Adjusted for the option that was implemented, and a memory missmatch caused by time difference when the fps goes to 10 so the values update irreguarly.

Moving on to the Other FPS option which might be a plausible culpit is the Maximum FPS option, I were still experiencing Desync during games which is super rare, however once i limited the Maximum fps to 120 i have experienced one desync and now been able to have a custom map open for 4 days. Going by my first Theory it might be possible that having Background FPS and MAX fps not being set to the same value causes desync.

It’s too early to say if this is a possible explination to desyncs, and i need more users to test this theory therefore im turning here to see if im just speaking gibberish.

2 Likes

No. I have it set to a very low value (like 10) and I never desync. Ever. Every disconnect I’ve ever had was caused either by a crash or by the actual loss of my internet connection.

And yes, I tab out all the time, sometimes to write these posts or talk to people on Discord.

I have no doubt that you, your friends, and other people are having connection issues, but this correlation between the background fps setting and disconnects is questionable.

I’m suspecting this is the cause of the desync issues I’m having with my custom map. When it desyncs for the reasons you mentioned, does the player being desynced experience a few seconds of the game freezing?

Happening to me a few times. Hosting or as a player.