Custom game crashing

Game/screen freezes every few seconds during custom games. Seems to happen as the game progresses toward the end. I remember experiencing similar difficulties with W3 classic. I’ve tried closing all programs, reducing graphic settings and lower resolution. Can’t complete custom games because of this.

1 Like

Hey there cbails,

Let’s go ahead and have you post a ‘DxDiag’ so we can further investigate the problem. Here are the instructions:

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type DxDiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save
  5. Once you have that made, open the file. You’ll need to copy and paste the contents of the Text document into the post, and put four Tilde (~) marks above the DXDiag. It’ll look like this:
DXDiag goes here

If you have issues pasting here, please use Pastebin and post the link (ex: Pastebin (dot) com/123456).

Looking over the dxdiag you provided I see a few potential issues.

Both your Intel and AMD gpu’s show old drivers in use. Regardless of which GPU you use it is important to have both of those updated:

Given that your AMD ATI External Events Service Module is seen crashing, that does point to a GPU driver issue.

I would like you to perform a clean install of your drivers by completely removing the old drivers as follows:

1. Let’s remove the old drivers via a program called DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller): Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) Download & Support - Wagnardsoft Forum and choose the first announcement post.

2. Click “Official Download Here” then open the downloaded file. It will ask you to extract to a specific folder. This is usually going to be the same folder the file was downloaded to (“Downloads” for most people)

3. Open the folder created and double click on “Display Driver Uninstaller”. It may ask for permission under User Account Control. Select Yes.

4. It will pop up a screen saying, “This seems to be the first time you launch DDU, Let’s look at the options.” Click Ok, Leave the options set as now and click ok. A second pop up warning you that you are not in safe mode will pop up. That is ok for now. Click Ok.

5. Select Device Type: GPU and then under Select Device choose AMD, Intel or Nvidia. (If you have multiple brands of GPU you will need to run through this process twice.)

6. Choose Clean and Restart. Let the system reboot and you should be on the default microsoft GPU drivers. Visit the following link to get the proper drivers for your GPU(s):

For the AMD GPU: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-570

Even if the system relies on a different GPU, it is a good idea to make sure the Intel GPU is up to date as well.

For the Intel GPU: Intel® Graphics – Windows* DCH Drivers

In some cases Intel may refer you to the manufacturer of the system for updates. If that is the case, check with the system maker for Intel Drivers.

Nothing else stands out in the dxdiag but other things to consider are conflicting programs on the system that may be interfering with the game or corrupt game data/settings. Disabling other running software for testing and perhaps a clean reinstall of the game client should help rule those things out.

Beyond that if this is custom map content you are running it could be an issue with that content. If it is Blizzard created content, a bug report would be in order, if it is custom made content, you would need to report the issue to the content maker, whoever that may be.

Not sure what the problem was but I got everything running again. I downloaded and installed the new drivers but the problem persists. I appreciate your time, in any event. At least I updated my drivers now

What custom map is it? Do you know if it only crashes for you or other players too? It could be a problem on the map developer end.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.