Crypt Lord Super OP

pretty much everyone plays beetles/impale no ones getting the crappy passive until they hit lvl 8 which i see happen often as the new beetles let the cl creep insanely fast. The issue with his tankiness is not the passive but rather just his base hp. lvl 2 beetles are super strong but even level one beetles make for a very hard to stop instant tower push when he pops and late game lvl 3 beetles are fairly resilient to dispel and even then its mandatory for them alone and less effective than vs wolves or w/e he just recast more if you kill them fairly easily. as an undead main i win more now with 0 practice with CL then using dk/lich/DL in pretty much very MU except vs elf mostly because wisps/ mana burn.

1 Like

Then you don’t play vs opponents who have adapted. Breakers with mana burn are just as effective as they are against the TC from Orc but they also steal your summons. Orc has easy time defending against Beetle harass and while you expand, Orc creeps up the whole map with FS + TC. Orc will have exp and tech advantage if you did an FE and t3 unlocks Tiny Great hall to catch up economically. This kind of playstyle already worked against Dreadlord FE.

Crypt Lord isn’t OP. He is not nearly the same strength where Keeper + Alchemist were after massive buffs. We don’t even see him dominate the Korean and Chinese tournaments, AKA peak performance players. So far we saw one game from 120 vs Focus and Focus had no trouble dealing with the Beetles as he was well prepared with Burrows and 1 caster.

1 month from now people will have found ways to play against it. Europeans are already adapting with Headhunter strategies, or even Bloodmage to prevent all spells from Crypt Lord. After more than 15 years UD gets some real hero variety but it seems like the one who posted this threat didn’t even want to accept that.

Edit: Well it didn’t take very long. Orcs have found the Farseer + Headhunter strategy, skip grunts and go quick T3 to have a strong standing Troll Beserker army. Here is a replay of Infi playing UD and Hitman using the Headhunter build to great success:

And then of course you have blade who has made great use of the Bloodmage against Crypt Lord. Mana Drain level 2 has always been a sleeper OP spell because of its insanely quick mana drain (30 per second!) which is why it has been used with a lot of success against Warden and even Demon Hunter.

Here is how to defeat Crypt Lord with Bloodmage first:

So with these 2 examples, we have proven that Crypt Lord is far from OP. It simply needed some experimentation from players. Which is one of the best things RTS has to offer. Changes like the Crypt Lord turn the meta on its head and then its up to the player to solve the puzzle and give us some great and never before seen games thanks to the Crypt Lord changes! We would never have seen Bloodmage with Phoenix used against UD without them.

1 Like

lol I agree, but I love tech stuff and trying to add armor. He does need a little more with his Carapace ability. Maybe more regenerative? Maybe give it a chance to reflect back at range as well?

1 Like

I could totally get behind the idea of nerfing his new beetles but buffing his worthless ability in compensation so its usable. The Impale change was nice i would love to try using him in something other than position 1 as as summon hero

1 Like

Why not try the standard DK build/crypt/destroy build with CL as a second hero? It’s easy to get him to level 3 if you creep fast enough with him as a second hero, then pass the items from the DK to the CL that you want as if CL would’ve gotten those if he was first pick. Lich King can come out as a 3rd hero and that’s the kewl part. He makes one of the powerfullest 3rd hero with Orb and level 1 Nova alone. Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference if you get Lich as a 2nd hero or 3rd. Ya’ mean?

Crypt lord is still absolute garbage - only the Impale is useful.
Beetles are still the worst summon spell in the game.
UD has no clarity potion at tier 1 so CL as first is out of mana after a few casts.

Spiked Carapace is the worst passive in the game by a mile, even Grubby said so.
CL ultimate is honestly underwhelming and mana intensive for a hero that already has one of the smallest mana pools.

If you think CLord needs nerfs you are severely mistaken.
Against good players CLord is just a 3rd hero for Impale.
CL first is used at below-top skill tier and game balancing is not revolving around that.

1 Like

Nah lots of top tier players using CL IE xlord hes pretty OP hes winrate is higher than DK. I do in fact use him 3rd and go dk/cl/lich sometimes i just wish he has a relevant non summon ability instead of a wasted slot. overall he feels OP as a summon hero fast expanding and still has a useless skill. We are balancing things now for the first time in forever lets reign in the beetles and replace the useless spell.