Crypt Lord Super OP

Is it just me or crypt lord is super op after last buff? The guy alone, with the scarabs around him is apt to face armies.

Not sure how he does against players because me and my friend always play against AI. But us two against 5 insane was pretty easy, compared to before. What do you think about this hero?

3 Likes

Way overbuffed.

Since apparently we’re getting huge buffs to heroes people already use just usually not picked first can humans get a huge Paladin buff so he can be played first and just roll over people like Crypt Lord is doing?

1 Like

Haha I like that :smile:
But yeah, they probably need to review this in the next patch.

The guys been trash for decades without any thought.

Lets see how quickly he gets nerfed tho.

1 Like

Definitely OP now, I’m constantly getting level 7-8 everytime I use him. Those god damn beatles are really easy expansion killers too.

The beetles give the enemy heroes experience which necessitates him to be slightly stronger than other heroes to compensate for the level/experience disadvantage.

Are the beetles not summons? If so then priests and other sources of dispel would be very effective at removing them.

1 Like

You should definitely try using priests vs Undead and see what happens. Especially when CL already has one aoe spell and he’s usually paired with a lich at some point.

Meta is still very new but im sure that at top skill level CLord as first will remain trash.

As a first hero CL does not have access to Clarity potions or even a proper way of healing himself (sacrificial dagger is very slow compared to healing salve/moonwell).

And as a third hero the beetles are way too weak/useless and his passive is by far the worst in the game (basically just a lame ring of protection).

Impale got A LOT better so CL will be more often as third but once meta settles at top skill level im sure CLord will be non-viable as first.

2 Likes

CL seems strong, but lets see how he pans out with strategies and counters being developed before anyone starts nerfing anything. It’s not even been a week.

I think people just don’t know how to deal with him.

Sac dagger got a buff as well - works great now.

You guys make good points. Against opponents can be bad to give away that much experience so it might not even be op.
I was just impressed by its ability of leveling up by himself against map creatures. We play on Ranging Stream all the time, lot’s of creatures to kill and while I start leveling up with Mountain King and 3/4 foot soldiers, my friend just needs his Crypt Lord at the beginning.

Ok, after a proper analysis on Crypt Lord, he is very strong obviously. I don’t really use him for early rush or expo rush as I can do that just as quickly with DK and normal Crypt Fiend build, however, he’s strong in other areas that I use him for. Crypt Lord meta Rushing at those high levels of plays for me with high ping isn’t viable.

I normally opt to use him as a second hero with Lich as an easy strong 3rd with obvious Orb. Rushing Crypt Lord to level 3 with upgraded Beetles is vital. His Beetles just as strong as GHOULS as a level 3 Crypt Lord! So basically you get 6 free strong version of Ghouls for free in a short amount of time. In a sustained battle, I’m going to win. I don’t normally take Impale, but that’s still effective. Crypt Lord is one of the few heroes I’d consider re-toming to swap abilities if I need it in a late-game for counters. I normally like to take Spiked Carapace and become an over-glorified giant tanky beetle with lots of armor and a few strength tomes and items.

What I like to do is obviously mount up the 6 beetles, then I buy 3-4 Ghouls and buy a Shredder in its place. Obviously standard UD Crypt Fiends with an Abom or 2. I buy Skele Rods, Blight and Armor Scroll. I keep Crypt Lord’s Beetles obviously on, but the cool part is, in a big fight, I lay out the Blight and pop the Armor Scroll. Any units I lose, I get beetles or summon Skeles, so I’m using either my own losses as gains, or enemy’s losses as gains through corpse. I’m consistently getting reinforced units as so to speak. I would like to “rush” with Crypt Lord, but I don’t have the ping in those high level of plays. I’d do it easy if I was in lower leagues.

What I like about the Crypt Lord is his Strength gains. Give him a strength item or 2 and some strength tomes and he becomes very hard to kill. He gets a massive 3.2 from any Strength Tomes or Strength Items given to him. His strength gains are worth building. He’d be like Pit Lord where players won’t want to focus him because of how tanky or how hard he is to kill, but if you don’t, he’ll mess the back-line up a bit more slowly than the Pit-Lord, or reinforce with beetles. That’s why I like to take Spike Carapace, some strength items and tomes and you got one of the stock-standard, strongest front-line tanks that’s very very hard to kill.

Crypt Lord is fine. His low mana pool means he gets to use 1 impale and then you only get beetles until t2 with mana pots.

Orcs have already learned to counter Crypt Lord expo with Headhunter attacks. They have an easy time with protecting their peons by hiding inside burrows. 1 Spirit walker is enough to deal with them. He deals high damage and if the beetles burrow you simply dispel them. We have already seen Focus vs 120 and Focus had no problem dealing with the Beetles with this exact strategy.

Humans have towers and can simply research magic sentry so the burrow does nothing. Breakers can steal the beetles aswell and are immune to impale. They are already strong against the Orc Tauren Chieftain and they are strong vs Crypt Lord for the same reason. Both heroes are melee and easily mana burned.

Beetle harass is similar to how Nightelf used to harass with Treants and Humans were also able to deal with this in the past. The Beetles also provide lots of experience which normally the players do not get since UD doesn’t play with summons other than Skeletons.

This results in much higher hero levels for the UD opponent. Human and Orc heroes all scale extremely well so using Beetles is a risk mid to lategame. Death Knight’s Animate Dead Death and Decay from Lich are garbage.

UD has strong level 5 heroes but their level 6 are very weak compared to Mass Teleport, Avatar, Hex 3 and Heal Wave 3, Resurrection from Tauren Chieftain. Tauren Chieftain level 5 with level 3 stomp is already a win condition for Orc even after nerfs and Orc have a big advantage in Orc vs UD matchup. Mass Teleport has such a low cooldown you can outplay your opponent extremely hard and win basically without engaging your opponen’ts army.

4 Likes

crypt lord as first hero is good against bad players.

skipping death knight as first hero is completely not viable in any top tier match.

3 Likes

Assume ur UD is going CL and harrass. Its when u let him sit in his base making scarabs that a problem arises.

Woops, I gave away one of my strats to take down top tier players with 20-100 ping one day. :sweat:

He seems OP and i play undead but I’m cool with that. I think the main issue is dude just wont die he just needs his base HP lowered now that his beetle spell is OP instead of garbage.

1 Like

lol tell me about it, he’s got a mean health pool. People also tend to forget that armor type and buffs plays a drastic role in indirectly adding to the health pool as well. No-one wants to really focus CL down unless they have too or they got the advantage. I’d like to see a pro use Carapace one day and see how hard he is to kill even more so. I’d like to think that focus firing with AA’s wouldn’t put a dent on his HP too much lol.

Carapace is one of, if not the worst passive in the entire game. Its just a little more than Ring of Protection +3. And the Rings were all buffed by +1. The passive is nothing compared to Evasion, Critical Strike, Cleave, Drunken Brawler, the Tinker passive.

The passive should atleast somewhat compete with other passives in the game. Increase armor by 1 on each level and add bonus strength with each level. That way its a slightly different version of Drunken Brawler (which adds evasion+crit) but its more consistent instead of % based.

3 Likes

he doesnt really do anything else besides make beetles though.
You can deter this from being an issue by having any form of dispel, and by placing a single tower at an expansion/your base.
Putting a tower in your base/expo forces him to use his beetles combatively rather than in a harassment type of way, which gives you the oppurtunity to counterplay via dispel.
If he’s smart he will respond with re-talenting into Impale, which isnt that big of a deal.

3 Likes