Competitive Changes Needed

The game needs several things to improve the competitive multiplayer experience.

1. Profiles. Starcraft 2 profiles are a template for what we need: win/loss by race, seasons, ladders, achievements, match history, career history, replay access, campaign completion. Additional statistics would be great - e.g. what old ladder website had with gold mined, heroes killed/hero created, etc.

2. Leagues, Ladders, and Seasons. Using medal system from other games would be nice, with bronze, silver, gold, etc. 2-3 month long competitive seasons.

3. Automated Tournaments. Automated tournaments are great for competitive Warcraft 3 and increase interest in Warcraft 3 as an e-sport. Add icons that are unique to tournament wins.

4. Separate Random Team vs. Arranged Team Modes. Separate random team vs. arranged team - or rework MMR for arranged teams so their MMR increases/decreases when playing AT. Including partial or full arranged team vs. random team results in an imbalance in competitive advantage. If I group with a friend, we are going to be more coordinated and play with greater skill than a random team.

5. Unranked Play. As opposed to using custom games for this purpose, unranked play should be included as an optional mode within Versus. Options to choose Quick play or Competitive play matches.

6. Clan Support. Add clan support. Clans promote the social aspect of gaming and encourage competitive interest. The social elements of the game are lacking compared to the original game.

7. Match Results & Graphs. Match results and graphs need improvement, similar to Starcraft 2. Each column in match results should be sortable/clickable to rank players by highest score in that section following a game (e.g. Heroes, Army, Resources).

8. Replay Functionality. Improvements to replay functionality, including a rewind function, ability to view replays in a lobby with other players, etc. Access replays directly in a player’s profile in match history instead of exiting out to load a replay. Replay functionality of the Netease Warcraft 3 client should be added.

9. Reconnect Following a Disconnect. The option to reconnect following a disconnect is needed. It’s 2020, and many other games have implemented a reconnect feature - including reconnect already existing in Netease Warcraft 3 client.

10. Custom Hotkeys. Ability to change and implement custom hotkeys within the options menu (same as Starcraft 2). Requiring that we use a .txt file to change hotkeys is outdated, inconvenient, and simply ridiculous. The game UI is inconvenient, inadequate and not aesthetically appealing. Which leads me to the next point.

11. UI Improvements - Menus & In-game. Menus, chat overlay, options, friends and groups UI needs improvement. Bring back an animated main menu (like Frozen Throne). Add the larger buttons on the main screen for ‘Options’ and ‘Exit Game/Quit’ on the left hand side below the Campaign, Versus, etc. buttons. Add options to display match time and a real-world clock in-game, similar to Starcraft 2. Add the option for players to use the minimalist UI that was initially created and shown at Blizzcon.

12. In-game Voice Chat. Ability to use an in-game voice chat system, similar to other games.

13. Regional & Global Match Making. Prioritize match making within each region - North America, Europe, Asia - before the system extends the search globally. Low ping is critical for competitive play, and there is a middle ground between global match making and reasonable ping for each player. Add regional servers for Oceania and South America.

This is a good starting list of features we need to improve competitive multiplayer. I’ll add other suggestions as they come to me. Please feel free to add suggestions to what we need to improve the competitive multiplayer experience!

49 Likes

This is a great list. Most of these were in the original and I think we all assumed would be a given in the remastered… not to add to the terror in these forums, but :frowning:

6 Likes

yessss!! you nailed it… this is still beta until these features are added… very disappointing this was $40.

4 Likes

Wc3 campaign: remastered. What a joke.

1 Like

My question is: why wasn’t ANY of what you said self-evident?

They had a working game that continued to please the player base. And it’s as if suddenly they snorted a bag of coke and went: HEY, LET’S DESTROY THIS GAME!

2 Likes

I am glad someone beat me to this post because so far i feel like blizzard just squatted down and took a big shyt on warcraft3. What i dont understand is why any of the features/functionality of Warcraft3 was touched AT ALL!!! There was no need to touch UI or any interface/functionality of the game.

I had reserved my feelings about the beta since it was still in “BETA” and thought that the rest of features was going to be released day 1 of official release yet it wasnt.

Everything is different no ladders leagues ranking tournaments clan support profiles. No channel commands stats join etc… Not only me but a group of my friends that played this game since its original launch feel like we were spit in the face by this release. We payed 40 dollars for Warcraft3:Dismantled I am dissapointed in the direction blizzard has been taken for awhile now, but this was the last straw.

I had no hopes for a Warcraft4 or a warcraft4 done right at least but i had a hope that warcraft3 being revived would give me some fresh air. So far only breathing in garbage. Its evident that whatever talent is at blizzard doesnt have the ability to keep the prestige alive feel like its being run by interns.

3 Likes

All those things are coming later. Im not defending blizzard, they royally screwed up this launch but just wait it out.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I’d like you count how many advertised features plus existing features in TFT made it into the launch, then count how many post release features are supposed to come and ask yourself how many will ever see the light of day.

Well tbh I only care about ladder, mmr, profiles and reconnecting for unintended disconnects. Everything else is trivial, you can already see your own replays and saved them. And just like in classic im sure a site will pop up where people can upload replays, plus everything is just uploaded to youtube nowadays. Clan support is not that big of a deal as tft had it and wasnt really impressive.

I understand that people want these things now but did you really expect a perfect launch for features? They couldnt even get the servers to sync for versus yesterday. I was more upset at the servers not working and therefore not being able to play anything other than campaign.

Well that’s kind of my worry. The game has so many bugs that if the beta release cadence is any indication of the post release cadence, we are looking at 6 months of bug fixes which means at least 6 months of no ladder, profiles, clan support, or whatever else is missing.

Yes. All of that.

1 Like

I do not agree with your #4. Keep as is.

Great suggestions, hopefully “Blizz” see that.

I think competitive needs to exist first.

2 Likes

Exactly. No use to play 1on1 and so on without a ladder. But reflecting the last Blizzcon, they still probably have no idea themselves how to implement that system.

Added to the above list

1 Like

Any dates on when all this will be implemented?

Do we know how long ‘later’ is?

Love the list by the way! couldn’t agree more! Can’t wait until competitive play is tidied up and i’ll be hooked all over again like it’s 2002

Well if you only care about the stats/mmr competive ladder then yes there is no point in playing versus atm. However you can take advantage of the fact that there is no stats and new players are playing to practice and gain free wins to unlock icon specific race.

Yes, of course my argument was sort of selfish - i play this game for like 18 years and of course there is disappoint for not having a ladder.
For new player it is not that bad to test themselves but let us think about it - I bet more „old player“ play this game (just my opinion).