Classic Mode In Warcraft 3 should be free 2 play

I think it would be smart to have new people come in it would help the community stay alive and who knows they may like the game and want to buy reforge mode, reason they should go free 2 play for classic. Also for all the old members who lost the cd key few friends and my brothers refuse to buy another key just to play classic. COME ON THE GAME IS 18 YEARS OLD

10 Likes

The thing is that classic wc3 officially is no more

2 Likes

I am fairly certain the topic creator meant to allow people to play the Warcraft III client (what people call “Reforged”) with classic graphics for free. Similar to the StarCraft remaster.

5 Likes

Yes that is what I meant classic mode free to play

2 Likes

Making classic mode free to play would be a good start to get the game back on people’s radar and make up for everything they’ve done that has butchered this game. It could ultimately get them more money too, if it gets more people to try the game and end up buying Reforged mode. Another probable benefit for players would be that, like with the free version of Starcraft, there would not be DRM that would require you to log on or connect to the internet every 30 days to play classic mode.

But as I said that would just be a start. They still have yet to bring back all the popular features they removed and even when or if they do, the game will still be a lot different from the classic legacy version and take up much more space. So for a company of Activision’s size to really make a sincere apology, they should offer the classic legacy clients for download again (or rather, make them more visible), or just make them free to play. If they really wanted to go all out they could even go the direction of Diablo 2 and restore the original Battle.net, RoC included. But a reversal of that magnitude seems highly unlikely. Still, if they just made the legacy clients more visible or made them free to play, people who prefer the original game for the single player or LAN experience could more easily find and play it.

2 Likes

Making it free to play is so easy no work would have to be done. But yeah all that other stuff would be nice. But I see free to play classic mode getting more players and them more money.

I’m afraid as long as you can override any model, sound, texture etc. this is not possible
And if iremember right some maps can be set to reforged graphics only

No, Classic Mode should not be free to play.

They need to finish the damn game first before they make any such judgments, and remove their ridiculous DRM that’ll make it impossible for anyone to play the game even in single-player should Blizzard ever go out of business.

Classic mode should be left as it was before: used cd keys for 1-2 $…

2 Likes

I’d be happy to pay $ 30 or 30 Euros to play Classic WC III TFT again. I don’t care about Reforged or anything related. It simply butchered a nearly perfect game.

So put some kind of restriction on the HD assets so that they can’t be used to override things in classic, at least for campaigns and custom campaigns if not any type of map. Really they shouldn’t even be making classic-only players download the HD assets anyway.

As for maps with Reforged only graphics there’s a few ways to address that. One, could require every map to support classic graphics for classic players, two, could prevent classic players from playing those maps, or three, let classic players download and use the HD assets of that map for the purpose of playing it.

As I said, making classic mode free to play would actually allow them to remove DRM for classic mode. Like with Starcraft remastered, because it’s free to play with classic graphics, there is no log in or internet connection requirement to play single player or LAN with classic graphics. But they won’t remove that kind of DRM for something you have to pay for.

They already cannot be used to override classic assets. They will not even load with classic graphics enabled. Maps set to “HD only” can only be played by people who own Reforged, with classic players getting kicked in lobby.

idk about maps being set to reforge only but there is several maps set to sd only. Very easy to do since there is many people in the game right now without reforge. The client will be reforge but classic mode should be free to play and reforge should be only 15$ because it’s trash. That is being nice saying reforge shouldn’t go to 5$ or f2p as well

1 Like

Some map authors have to do this due to the huge miss-match between HD and SD graphics breaking their map’s gameplay. Which is why the ability to do so exists.

However many map makers making new maps that are targeting only Reforged due to its higher graphics fidelity.

Reforged players can play with classic graphics if they want as well. So to them it is no issue.

Pretty much everything you just told me I already knew but thanks, I don’t think you understand my point.
My point to make Classic Mode free to play to market reforge and to help player base. Win for blizzard win for us

Well, they should simply put w3 reforged free to play :slight_smile: they earn more money elsewhere so …

1 Like