Classic download question

I bought the original + expansion some years ago. I feel like replaying it but on the blizz app the only option available is to buy it again as Reforged. I know you can download the installer from my account page but is there any way to just do it from the app? I can do it with Classic Starcraft, why not Warcraft 3? It’s annoying having to do all this stuff just to play classic

the old version was never available in the app, only reforged was added to that. classic starcraft can not be downloaded from the app either. both games have the option of changing between classic and remastered graphics however.

Weird, I can download Starcraft 1 on the app just fine (I dont even have the remastered) but Warcraft 3 asks me to buy reforged

If you launch the game from your install folder after updating to Reforged it should show the Play button.

he is trying to run the old version, not the reforged version.

just look around this forum and ye will get the answer, LMAO

that was rude. i will tell you what i can and not tell you to search the forum. warcraft 3 reforged and starcraft remastered is structured slightly differently on the app. that is because they use different licenses. starcraft 1 is entirely free, though you need to pay for the remastered assets. warcraft 3 is not free, no matter the version. if you have warcraft 3(old version) registered on your profile, you might need to install it in some kind of offline mode.

I don’t think the blizz desktop app has that ability.

I pretty sure the reforged game has a way to switch to classic. There should be a wittle button you can click therein.

there is just one download wether it is for reforged or classic, as both games runs on the same server.

Yes there is. Although I have not verified it personally people say that you can force Reforged to install by running the BattleNet app in offline mode, an approach that seems to work to install any released game you do not own. The install button should appear and despite being offline it should still use the internet connection to download from Blizzard’s CDN.

In order to play you need to have a Reign of Chaos CD key attached to your BattleNet account. Then when you login to the BattleNet app after the install you should be able to play, with the restriction being classic graphics, campaign and compatible custom maps only. The Frozen Throne CD Key is no longer used at all as far as I am aware, but if you own it you might as well attach it to your BattleNet account as well.

2 Likes

correct, the the frozen throne cd key stopped being used some time ago. all custom maps should work independent of what version(classic or reforged) it was made with, as all assets is downloaded either way.

It worked, thanks

New custom maps might be made to work with only reforged or only classic. Where as everyone who owns classic (Reign of Chaos CD Key) can play custom maps that allow classic, they cannot play any that require Reforged. Although most map makers are avoiding making Reforged only maps, there still are some doing so.