Can't start the game (stack overflow)

I have the WC3 installed on Windows. It used to work fine one day, but no longer does since the next one. I don’t recall anything “funny” happening in the meantime, not even a Windows update.
Each time I try to launch the game, nothing happens and I can trace the following error log in the system Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: Warcraft III.exe, version: 1.36.0.20257, time stamp: 0x646daf24
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.3570, time stamp: 0x3be1c500
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00000000000305f8
Faulting process id: 0xb00
Faulting application start time: 0x01da09baac37eb2c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\_retail_\x86_64\Warcraft III.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 06037a2b-94ce-4019-8537-04218ef3e3e3
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

By looking at the exception code I can only tell it’s caused by STATUS_STACK_BUFFER_OVERRUN caused by WC3 launcher/ntdll incompatibility.

The issue is deterministic, I use an up-to date Win10 22H2. I reinstalled the BattleNet with WC3, cleaned registry, checked the system for integrity errors, eventually performed Windows system reset with no luck. Everything else is working smoothly. Every attempt of running WC3 results with the mentioned stack overflow manifesting by corrupting files (detected and fixed with sfc and DISM commands).

When exactly does it crash?

I would suggest deleting the game’s folder within your My Documents folder (which persists through uninstall and even a reinstall of windows if you don’t wipe your drive) and all temporary files that you can (via Disk Cleanup utility included with Windows) before reinstalling the game to eliminate the possibility of bad/corrupted config/temp files causing the issue.

Howdy!

Does Selective Startup help at all? Can you please collect your Msinfo, copy and paste it to a site like pastebin.com, and link back here within the code blocks?

`Link Here`

Thank you!

Hey Zuvykree

Selective Startup didn’t help, Here’s the msinfo dumpfile
https://pastebin.com/34bYVAxX

Thanks in advance for taking a look at!

Howdy!

The first steps I recommend are updating both Intel and AMD Drivers. Restart the PC between updates.

Other issues:

• Recent VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL Parameters Bluescreens
  • 0xc0000409 could indicate something is wrong with the OS or memory.

Suppose you reset Windows to factory settings, and the issue continues. In that case, we recommend that LENOVO support or a local PC repair shop take it from here to troubleshoot the system to resolution.

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.