Can't play old Custom Campaign. Is there any way around?

I remember spending months playin custom campaigns of the community back in 2012. And I loved many of them. I recently downloaded WC Reforged and tried to download them again from hiveworkshop. But MANY of them doesn’t work. They can’t even be opened in the editors. Campaigns like this one for example.
I’m talking of Campaings you can find on Hiveworkshop such as

• Locrito’s Adventure
  • Resurrection of the Scrouge
  • Birth of Shadows
    and many many many others.

The 2P Campaign worked immediately.

I found out recent maps are all W3X, while the old maps that I can’t load are W3N. Is there any way to make them work? I’m also using classic graphic.

3 Likes

Custom campaigns are dead.

3 Likes

The old custom campaigns were not map files, they were “campaign” files, which held a bunch of maps and shared data between them. They do not work in Reforged for a couple reasons:

• Blizz removed the button to launch them from the game.
  • even if you could launch them, there were a lot of breaking changes in the latest patches. So those older campaigns will probably be broken.
    Check for each of them what was the latest compatible version (I think Hive has that info) and download that Warcraft III version from the links someone already posted here in the Forums.
2 Likes

By the way, formats IIRC are:

• W3N - campaign file
  • W3M - Reign of Chaos map file
  • W3X - Frozen Throne/Reforged map file

Warcraft 3 had custom campaign functionality removed with Warcraft 3 Reforged. With the dissolution of Team 1, it’s never coming back.

Sad to say, you wasted your money.

3 Likes

Get an old version: xhttps://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/patch-1-31-1-backup-files.322083/ (remove x from link)

4 Likes

If i do download an old version of WC3 i will have two separate WC? Or the new download will overwrite the Reforged one?

You can have both at the same time, just install to different places. I have my old one under WC3_1.26

3 Likes

bumping this up in annoyance

Quenching is planning to release a custom campaign converter for old campaigns & they wanna upload several converted campaigns on their site. They have released already an experimental custom campaigns support.

Blizzard is so ****ty. No updates, no news, no nothing. They just removed a key part of WC3’s community and haven’t said or done anything to indicate they care.

Bumping this because I am very annoyed with how long it has been, and still no word.

6 Likes

The team that worked on the game got disbanded ages ago. Nobody’s working on it.

Just find an old pre-Reforged copy of Warcraft 3 and play that.

1 Like

You need to install the games via disk or pirate them.
The devs and bosses behind this mess are smooth brained idiots who can’t do anything right.

1 Like

Remember when people said “Don’t worry Vicarious Vision is going to fix everything” :’)

1 Like

No? If they did, then they were being naive as hell.

You can use a mod called the Quenching to play custom campaigns. You’ll find the instructions on The Hive Workshop.

half a year later and still nothing, you regret buying this piece of **** already? ( :

1 Like