Can't play LAN games after 1.30.2

Hey folks.

After my brother and I were prompted to install Warcraft III’s 1.30.2 patch, we were also prompted with an installation for ‘Bonjour’ when we clicked on the LAN menu option.

After having installed the patch and ‘Bonjour’, we are no longer able to play LAN games with each other. Whenever either of us hosts a lobby, the lobby information appears incorrect to whoever is joining and the map name as well as other map-related information appears (edit: such as lobby slots) as question marks. When whoever is joining clicks on the lobby to join the game, a ‘failed to retrieve data’ error message pops up and the lobby immediately closes for both players. It doesn’t matter which map we load. We are both using the same version of the game.

My brother and I have never had any LAN issues when playing Warcraft III. Why is this happening all of a sudden? We have reinstalled the game numerous times and still cannot play LAN games.

1 Like

bonjour is a virus. you need to remove it. blizzard knows that however, they just do not want people to play lan anymore, they want people to play online. warcraft 3 lan is no more as of right now.

You can play via LAN, but both players need the map. You cant download maps in LAN, then it closes the game.

Yeh get the same here… It seems they went with it because it is common for Apple local network discovery. With recent security scandals such as wanacry Windows native equivalent, SMB, has been in disrepute I guess.

No it is an Apple local network discovery system with Windows API availability. That said Windows usually has it in the form of SMB, so why they are using a non native API for Windows I am not sure. At least allow direct IP connect, a feature that games used to have decades ago…

that is what they want you to believe. at the push of a button, apple can shut down all pcs running bonjour. that is apple`s strategy. i have already disabled it myself.

Apple could not do that without major legal repercussions, especially in the EU which is also one of their biggest markets.

As for the original problem. I suggest looking up Bonjour related connectivity problems. It could potentially be caused by local network, or even PC, firewalls and such blocking the required communication packets.

We have always been able to download maps via LAN in the past. I can’t see them intentionally disabling such a feature, so I’m going to assume it is a bug.

I just tested things out again and we are able to play LAN games with standard melee maps IF we jump through a strict hoop. The first time one of us joins the LAN lobby with a standard melee map, the lobby closes for both players. If we load up the same standard melee map again, we can get into the lobby and play. If we load up a different standard melee map, the lobby closes again.

I don’t know what Blizzard did to LAN games recently, but I truly hope they fix this disaster.

3 Likes

bonjour have no functionality that i know of other than destroy the pc running it. apple probably includes in their license agreement that they will not be help responsible for any damage. that is quite normal actually for a license agreement. blizzard should make warcraft 3 work on lan again. no need to use bonjour for it as most people have either windows or mac os in their homes, rarely both. blizzard could create their own cross system thing instead however.

Guys, just add Bonjour service (C:\Program Files (x86)\Blizzard\Bonjour Service\mDNSResponder) to WIndows firewall for incoming and outcoming ruels.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer. It looks like with this patch, they have switched the LAN discovery mechanism to use mDNS.

I have disabled the windows firewall in both computers, however, I can only see the matches created in one of these computers, but no the other.

Is there a way to go back to a previous w3 version that uses the old protocol? I don’t really care about the new features in this patch, I just want to play footmen frenzy with some friends in our local network…

i thought “bonjour” was suppose to mean “hello”, not “goodbye”. : /

3 Likes

Bump.

Still can’t download games via LAN. It’s silly, really. There should be no reason to prevent people from downloading maps via LAN and then getting right into a game with said maps.

It’s not the end of the world, but my brothers and I, nor my friends and I when we have LAN parties, should be forced to logon to battle.net, download maps, then leave and host a LAN game.

Whether or not this change was intentional, you should change it back. It’s not very consumer-friendly, especially for those that actually make use of LAN. There’s nothing worse than having a feature taken out of a game via patching, for seemingly no reason, rather than having a feature added or something. Reminds me of when Relic decided to patch LAN out of DoW1 and DoW2 entirely in order to force players to play online. Is that what’s coming next, Blizzard?

2 Likes

i feel like blizzard is making something really sneaky.

downloading through lan worked before. it is likely just a glitch. i did test lan play and i could see the game on the client. when i tried to join it however: it crashed(the client game). it never got bonjour started properly. that is another reason to drop bonjour, the fact that it does not always work properly(it can also not be shut down in windows 7). i have now tested lan and the map does download. on the other hand: if the host leaves during game, the client loses.

Really? I have bonjour service on and all my Lan and battle.net games works normally. I’m surprised that yall are having bad issues with Lan games.

Works perfectly for me as well, and everyone else I know. I even ran 4 LAN games simultaneously using local loopback with it. It seems just a select few people like andreasasp2 have issues with it. These will likely be fixed by Apple and Blizzard soon anyway for the next patch.

1 Like

warcraft 3 lan works perfectly in 32 bit but crashes in 64 bit. that is how it currently is.

Please report it so that the developers can fix the x86-64 porting bug.

I play in 64 bits. Everything works just fine, in lan or battle.net.