Can't install classic WC3, keeps prompting to install Reforged

I know this is the WoW sub but I figured this is probably the best place to ask.

I got the WC3 classics forever ago when they first released. Years ago when the BNet client came out I linked them to my account, and as time went on I was able to download the client, run the old classic game no problem. I had both RoC and FT and they worked fine.

Now… I just went to download the classic launchers, and while both RoC and FT are separate entries, I am getting just a single “Warcraft-III-setup” launcher, and it keeps trying to install a 29.30GB game, and showing Reforged.

What gives? I never bought Reforged, am I no longer able to play the classic version?

3 Likes

Despite how they are labeled on the download site, both will install the current version of the game (that’s all that is officially available). Within it are two modes: Classic and Reforged. If you haven’t purchased the Reforged part, Reforged mode will be locked out; however, you’ll still have access to the Classic mode.

What your thinking of as the old game is now Classic Mode.

There is just the bare game that you can access with a new battlenet without any feature of the old battlenet.
You can still play the campaign and find some games online.
the 29.80 GB is just wasted space on your hard disk of material you wont be able to access.
Welcome to Reforged!^^

1 Like

Damn Blizzard that’s some stupid BS. So I have to essentially waste storage space on the Reforged portion and can’t just install the classic which is easily what… under a gig probably.

I recall hearing that parts of the campaign were going to be changed, to line up with retcons they’ve made throughout the years. Does the classic mode also contain these retcon-forced changes, or will I still have the original games, in a literal sense?

Nothing was changed with the campaign in Classic mode. And Reforged mode had most of the planned new content (recons and such) scrapped beofre release so all that was changed is three of the cities’ layouts to look more like they do in WoW.

Acti-blizz strikes again… that’s really lame.

So I have to waste space when the original was probably under a gig. I guess I can live with that.

However, I remember reading that some of the campaigns were changed to align with retcons they’ve done in WoW and the books. Does the “classic” mode still have the original campaigns?

See my reply above.

The overall campaign is the same. You may find some slightly modified models and some censored quotes. Rest is the same, as long as you install the English version it seems.
In short, they added nothing and removed a lot. That’s all.
Btw, you lose your campaign progression at every new patch. When is next patch? No one knows…

The saved games are lost with each patch. Campaign progress is hit or miss. I’ve only lost it once somewhere around the 1st or 2nd patch. I haven’t lost it since. Even then, it seems to affect random people randomly.

Ah alright, so the campaigns are still the same story?

What exactly do people not like about Reforged then? If it’s the same game but updated visuals, I would actually be all about that.

A) the campaign was not improved like they originally claimed, all they did was re-design some of the maps, but overall they just reduced the difficulty of the campaign for a more casual audience and they did not improve anything. The AI still sucks, the UI is unchanged, custom maps have not been improved much (well maybe a little but custom campaigns still missing), and theres also lots of little missing features that should be standard in a modern RTS

B) some people do like the graphics, they are very detailed and nice to look at up close (at ground level), but they were not designed properly from a top-down perspective and many changes were needed to make things more clearly visible. Also the new graphics require a very expensive computer so many people complain about performance too. Fans have even released a mod to improve the visual clarity (look up quenching mod)

C) ranked ladder currently has no stats, no profiles, no clans, and all original profiles from the original games were erased at the end of 2019 :frowning: supposedly Blizzard says they will release a new improved ladder “soon” but we dont really know when, so currently the matchmaking is very random. They also made it so you can play against AT vs RT so if you play with random teammates you can get opponents that all play on an arranged team (thats not how the old game worked, and its not very fair for RT). Fans have actually created a private ladder with a proper ranking system that many top players now use instead of Bnet

D) custom maps had many bugs when reforged first launched, most have been fixed but some still occur and if the maps makers is no longer around to update/fix things then some maps might not work. Other maps were blocked due to copyright issues. Some fans choose to play on older versions of the game using private servers just to play certain older maps

E) all of these things have caused a split in the community, but WC3 is still a great game so dont be discouraged, just find the area you enjoy the most and figure out the best way to enjoy it… hopefully things will get better in time because the great community of WC3 players will always improve the flaws blizzard creates

The UI of the game “hen you are playing” is unchanged.
The UI of the menu is some of the worst ever created in the history of videogames.
It is a counter intuitive mess of lags, unexplained functions and ill-coinceived “improvements” (?).

1 Like

It’s missing features Classic Warcraft 3 had (custom campaigns in particular, and the ability to play custom games offline) and has its offline mode locked behind a re-authentication DRM wall that’s annoying as hell.

I mean, that’s personally what ticks ME off about it. The rest of it is fine apart from the online gameplay being prone to server connection issues.

its not random. The progress is “corrupted” each time they change/fix/add something in the campaing map… bcz the save and the game are just incompatible after that. Thats just how it was designed back in the day.
deal with it.

RoC and TFT no longer exist. TFT was merged into RoC to became “classic”. Classic is part of Reforged.

Hence with a RoC CD key attached to your BattleNet account you can install Reforged and play the “classic” part of it which includes content and capabilities of both RoC and TFT. TFT CD keys do nothing anymore as their functionality is included with RoC.

Right, the game saves are lost when there’s changes to the map files. That isn’t random.

The random was referring to campaign progress. With many of the patches there’s been reports of some losing progress while other didn’t. Like in my case, with almost every patch there’s been reports of loss, but I’ve only lost it once.

And what was with your little “deal with it” gibe? Where did you find anything except a simple explaination of the situation. The fact that I’ve only lost progress once is good thing.

Seems to me the guy was just mindlessly defending this drivel.

1 Like

I guess the main problem is that previously you had patches at several months intervals and they were also significant ones.
Along the save games, the custom maps relying on version data (without inner definitions) were also compromised, so people had to carefully go through all the settings and release a new version.
This days I guess everything i more like… ye… whatever…

If you are fine with 1.27b or 1.31.1 with latter in english only then here is the option: Classic Warcraft III --- Official Installers - Official Patches