Black screen, sound gets stuck, computer freezes needs to restart

Hello community,

I’ve been struggling with a recurring problem for several weeks almost months now.

When I’m playing, the screen suddenly turns black, the computer freezes and the last sound gets stuck as if in an endless loop.
At the beginning the computer always restarted itself after a short time.
I turned off the automatic restart in Windows to see if it is a blue screen, but after the screen goes black nothing happens.

After that I reset all overclocking of the CPU and GPU to see if this is the reason. But the crashes still occur (with and without overclocking).

Sometimes it happens that the game minimizes and background programs like Blizzard Battle.net get stuck and freeze. Then it is possible to tab back into the game, but there it lags massively and the computer has to be restarted.

For me this somehow looks like the graphics card or driver problems. I have already installed the latest ones and even a completely new installation of Windows didn’t bring any changes!

Running a hardware monitor while playing, I could not find any problems with tempreatures.

Thank you for your help.

dont overclock cpu and gpu …?

Hello Leppard,

as i already mentioned i reverted all settings to default, but nothing has changed. So this can not be the cause of this problem.

Maybe this helps finding the problem:

• using reforged graphics
  • resolution is 3840x2160
  • all graphic settings = high
  • antialiasing = off

Thank you for your help.

— Edit —

Game crashed again.

Here is the code showed by the error message: 832CDFA E8E1-4859-8D77-5825FF9FA595

Try turning shadows off. Having shadows on at all was making my gpu eventually hit 100%, black screen, and freeze my computer. It’s been a long standing bug since release it’d seem. This is also only an issue with reforged mode, and as this was my first time playing the game I eventually settled on just playing through classic instead of missing out on shadows.

Hello, Zaff,

I just wanted to thank you for the tip on the shadows. The game hasn’t crashed since I turned them off!

I’m glad to hear that the game has been stable since turning off the shadows, InFlames! Thank you for sharing, Zaff!

If anyone else is experiencing similar issues, please try turning off the Shadows in-game.

I also remember from somewhere, that low settings on shadows actually result in a better fps than having no shadows at all. Not sure though.