Black Screen on Startup

I was playing fine last week, but now when I start the game all I see is a black screen with the armored hand pointer. I looked up solutions and tried the only one that I found, which was deleting the settings file in the documents folder, but the problem persists. I tried repairing the installation, I tried reinstalling, but nothing helps. I haven’t changed anything on my computer since the game was working, and I don’t kknow what to do.

Because you mentioned that you can still see the mouse, this may not work. But it’s worth trying.

If you were previously running in fullscreen mode, then (assuming windows) try:

  • Navigate to the Warcraft III folder that is in your Documents folder.
  • In the Warcraft III folder is a “War3Preferences.txt” or “War3Prefences” file (way at the bottom).
  • Open that and find “windowmode” and set ot equal to 1.
  • Save and close the file. Relaunch WC3.

This will change the display mode from fullscreen to windowed-fullscreen which tends to be less picky about resolution.