Arthas Menethil voice actor Justin Gross

After watching the trailer, I immediately heard that Arthas Menethil’s voice was not the same. I’ve contacted Justin Gross two days ago, and he said he had a blast of a time when he did the voice acting for Arthas 16 years back. Gross has not received any message from Blizzard to do voice acting once again.

For me to be able to enjoy this game properly, it’s very important that Justin Gross has the voice of Arthas once again.

Side note: I also do not like the hair and overall face of Arthas. It needs bigger eyebrows like in WIII and not this ‘Japanese anime’ face.

14 Likes

Blizzard offered him a role years ago but he declined because the pay was too low

2 Likes

simply dont hate game hate player :smiley:

That is true, but that was for World of Warcraft many years back, not Warcraft III: Reforged, Ababmer.

1 Like

Well, they already have a new voice for Arthas, so I’d say the ship has sailed. You can always switch on the original sound files from the options, if you don’t like the new voices.

3 Likes

I prefer the old one too

3 Likes

is there a way to make a petition?
i know that the warcraft 3 community wants justin gross.

1 Like

i prefer justin gross aswell

1 Like

No point petitioning when the point of using new voice actors is to bring in the WoW crowd.

You can always default to old voices anyways.

6 Likes

I’d really like Gross to return as well. He did very well and I don’t think it’s unreasonable for him to ask for a bigger paycheck considering that he’s such a cornerstone of World of Warcraft.

1 Like

The only smart response in this thread

See I still think the “old voices” will only apply to the multiplayer, if they’re changing the campaign as much as it sounds like the old voices just wont’ mesh any more.

1 Like

You guys don’t know how a company works, do you? They already have a new voice actor for Arthas, why in the world would they waste money and hire the old one? Just because some guys kept shouting on the forums? Yeah right… You know how much it costs for a company to hire a new employee? Please, I’d rather spend that money, you know, actually developing the game. As I said, you can always use the old voices, if you don’t like the new ones.

It’s probably Blizzard’s internal policy to not hire important people again who bargained too much about their salary.

Voice actor is about trust. Especially if the character is one of the main character.

Can you? That would be great.

The fundamental problem is that people claim the new voice actor doesn’t sound like the old actor, which I don’t understand at all. I’m a big fan of W3 and I’ve heard Justin Gross’s Arthas voice countless times and I thought that was him in the trailer. Did any of you really notice the subtle diffrence between the new voice of Arthas and the old one, and did it upset you that much?

1 Like

Oh and here’s another thing: I think that over 15 years is a long time. I don’t know if the original VA can make his voice sound just like it used to 15 years ago, but that may come with a benefit. I know it’s been pointed out that it’s madness to hire Justin Gross again for practical business reasons but what if WHAT IF we got him to do only the post-frostmourne Arthas voice? The way he would sound way older after picking up frostmourne would fit in PERFECTLY with the whole frostmourne stealing his soul, making him pale and giving him white hair and everything as a sign of age and decay. Just a thought.

1 Like

To be honest, as long as they dont record any new dialogue for Arthas, it wouldnt matter if Blizzard indeed would promise us the original voice acting combined with the new visuals.

I dont hate the work that Patrick Seitz has done, but I wish Blizzard and Justin could have worked things out. According to the information that was revealed some 10 years ago, he didnt ask a higher price for voice-acting, just the same amount of money he was paid for voice-acting in Warcraft III: RoC and TFT…but apparently Blizzard did not want to go for this as obviously Arthas has much less spoken lines in Wrath of the Lich King than he had previously.

Either way when it comes to Lich King, since his voice would not have been the voice of Arthas anyway, I dont think it was such big loss, but if they voice-acted entirely new lines for Arthas, It would be just nice treat for us old fans if they also got Justin to return those lines for those of us who would rather listen the acting with original actors, same with Illidan (to be frank I think Jaina’s and Sylvana’s WoW voice actresses were great replacements to originals)

But ye if that means that those who choose original voice acting cant see the new , extended cut-scenes with additional dialogue, but can still see/hear them as they were originally with updated visuals, I have no problem with that.

But heck, if there was some crowd-funding from us old WC RTS fans to get Justin back (assuming enough ppl would even go for it :smile:) I would gladly take part with small sum. To me the original voices of Arthas and Illidan are just irreplaceable

3 Likes

I still think he is the best arthas. His voice especially as a DK is damn good and Awesome =)

1 Like

You can still use the old voices, if you don’t like the new ones. How many times does this have to be said. :sweat_smile: