Apparently Dota [1] is banned under blizzard's new custom games accepable use policy

Nor could they ever do anything to stop you from making another game. For some reason people think the DOTA lawsuit was about the game. But it wasn’t ! It was about trademark infringement over the NAME. Blizzard argued that people would buy DOTA because they thought it was made by them.

But somehow that’s turned into them trying to stop Valve from making a MOBA. LoL didn’t get sued…because you can not copyright a general game idea. (Which would seem obvious given all the competing RTS, FPS, ARPG, etc) games.

(Also couldn’t commercialize a map in the 2002 EULA but why would people read that!)

3 Likes

Let’s all just go back to calling it “Hero Line Wars.”

Yeah I don’t understand how people can think you can have copyrights on some very basic gameplay ideas.

Huh? Did you read this bit?

Blizzard definitely own all Custom Games and all copyright in the content of those Custom Games. Obviously that won’t matter with third party copyright that you nor Blizzard can legally claim but it does include everything that is or would otherwise be your copyright.

2 Likes

selective reading?

Custom Games are and shall remain the sole and exclusive property of Blizzard. Without limiting the foregoing, you hereby assign to Blizzard all of your rights, title, and interest in and to all Custom Games, including but not limited to any copyrights in the content of any Custom Games.

How exactly is that unfair?

Blizzard didn’t make the map, the community members who made the map did. Blizzard has no right to claim ownership of something it didn’t make itself. It also has no right to claim it created something it didn’t create.

Doesn’t matter what the EULA says. It’s a friggin’ joke.

1 Like

They created the tool, much of the artwork, AI, etc. You’ll test the maps on their servers, in their game engine, etc. They have the right to claim ownership over what you make in their environment…

You just have the right to not use it and make projects in something you do agree with.

So what if they made the tools? They didn’t make the actual content.

That you’re sticking up for a B.S. practice like that says a lot about you as a person. It ain’t good.

And for the record, I already refunded. I’m not about to give my money to a trash company that steals other people’s work just because they allowed those people to use their own tools to mod the game.

Because all those tools, art, code, etc. was all magically made for free!!!

It’s a map editor for hobbiest to make stuff for fun. You want to make games for money? Use the tools that exist to do so. And guess what…most of those require you to pay for a developer license or split profit with them.

I never said anything about money. I just don’t want Blizzard claiming they created new characters that a mod author actually created.

It’s a question of credit where it’s due, not money.

Which has never actually happened and the old EULA also allowed them to do it…

SCII arcade splits profits with the map creators.

Well, considering the state of the company today, it wouldn’t surprise me if it DOES happen.

And no, the old EULA didn’t allow them to do that. If it did, DOTA would never have legally become its own thing.

Yes it would.

DOTA 2 is a new game, made in a new engine, with new artwork. The only thing Blizzard could sue over was the name DOTA and they gave up on that.

This, because as multiple people have pointed out. You cannot copyright an idea.

And yet now the terms state that EVERYTHING you make in the new world editor, including new types of game genres, now exclusively belong to Blizzard.

1 Like

No.

But believe it!! How do companies besides Activision make first person shooters? Why doesn’t Activision copyright first person shooter?

Because they didn’t invent the first person shooter.

1 Like

Yet the company that invented the genre doesn’t copyright it?

Can’t copyright a genre.

Apparently Blizzard can now, thanks to their EULA.

1 Like

Whatever helps people sleep at night.