Apparently Dota [1] is banned under blizzard's new custom games accepable use policy

" Use of Third Party Content in Custom Games . You represent and warrant that neither the content you use to create or incorporate into any Custom Games, nor the compilation, arrangement or display of such content (collectively, the “User Content”), infringes or will infringe any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or other intellectual property right of any third party. You further represent and warrant that you will not use or contribute User Content that is unlawful, tortious, defamatory, obscene, invasive of the privacy of another person, threatening, harassing, abusive, hateful, racist or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate. In the event that Blizzard learns of the existence of a third party claim related to a Custom Game, Blizzard reserves the right to remove or block the Custom Game from any Blizzard-owned platform."

DOTA is a trademark of Valve Corporation and used under license. By making use of the term “DOTA” in any content posted on any Blizzard website or battle.net, you agree that use of this trademark is subject to Valve’s trademark guidelines found at…

Can blizzard roll back this terrible policy already? Its not like the maps are hosted on their servers like in starcraft 2

edit: for the record, I don’t want dota 1 or any part of the classic warcraft modding scene to die. I’m pointing this out so that hopefully someone can see what a bad idea this was

11 Likes

Tsahah…hahahaha…ohh…hahaha…hahahahahaha…ohhhhnonono

What an absolute disaster.

Mark my words, there will be no such thing as a Warcraft 3 community after this abomination.

33 Likes

And who do you supposed licensed it to Valve Corporation?

In case your memory doesn’t serve you well, there was a time when Dota 2 was at risk of being removed from Steam.

Thankfully, Blizzard and Valve came to a resolution that benefited both sides.

What a joke.
Surely you jest about valve’s asset used in a blizzard game?

lol you are all wrong here… icefrog owns the license. there was never any risk of dota being removed and valve and blizzard did not come to an agreement blizzard lost the case and were basicly told to leave off with their claims. stop spreading lies dude.

[Moderation Note: This post has been edited to remove masked inappropriate language.]

1 Like

It’s sad because DOTA was half the reason I bought Reforged.

Not that I think it’s better in WC3, but because I want to play the older versions because those are the ones I played and enjoyed the most. I pretty much stopped playing after the 7.00 update that added talents and basically redid the game. And what do you know, the last version before that update is what people were playing in Reforged! But now it’s banned…

1 Like

Try again?

https://www.engadget.com/2012/05/11/blizzard-and-valve-settle-dota-argument-blizzard-dota-is-now-bl/

Blizzard has dropped a short-and-sweet press release informing us that it has landed on a “mutual agreement” with Valve regarding the contested “DOTA” trademark. DOTA, of course, stands for “Defense of the Ancients,” which is a fanmade map and mode for Blizzard’s Warcraft 3, originally based on a Starcraft map. Developer “IceFrog,” who’s overseen the DOTA map since 2005, has gone to work for Valve on DOTA 2, while Blizzard has been working on its official variation of the game, previously called Blizzard DOTA.

The mutual agreement means that Valve will get the rights to use the “DOTA” trademark commercially, so DOTA 2’s name won’t change. Blizzard reserves the right for fans to use the trademark noncommercially, but will give up the DOTA name for its official variant. That game will instead be called Blizzard All-Stars, “which ultimately better reflects the design of our game,” said Blizzard executive VP Rob Pardo. “We look forward to going into more detail on that at a later date.”

Valve’s Gabe Newell also gave comment, saying that Valve is “pleased that we could come to an agreement with Blizzard without drawing things out in a way that would benefit no one.” Blizzard All-Stars doesn’t have a release date yet, and DOTA 2 is due out next year.

Oh and by the way OP? This means that DOTA can exist in Reforged. As Blizzard has retained the rights to allow fans to create DOTA games in their map editors.

3 Likes

Tides of Blood was better anyway…

1 Like

imagine buying wc3 reforged to play dota reforged, when dota reforged was already dota 2.

custom game kids are insane.

5 Likes

Saddest part about this is that the company is doing this to its own game. Like why?! Don’t you want more active players?

3 Likes

Frankly, that’s probably just in the EULA so Blizzard can avoid getting sued if someone tries to sue them for having a DBZ or LoTR map in their game. They can pass the blame onto the users for not following the EULA. I seriously doubt Blizzard plans to ban any maps or users for hosting those maps, or whatever it is you are afraid of happening.

3 Likes

Right. They’re not doing this by choice.

Just like how companies have been targeting content creators on YouTube for reactions and showing like 3 seconds of content owned by Disney or something, they claim 100% of that content creators revenue for a 30 minute video, for 3 seconds of audio.

They will go to Blizzard and do the same for these maps, and say hey we want a cut of Reforged, seeing as you’re profiting off our brand… No? OK, see you in court.

Copyright laws are stupid, and at the source of all this nonsense. It gives corporations way, way too much power, going so far as to suppress fan made content, it’s obviously crossed a line.

3 Likes

Oh so very wrong that someone quickly googled the news article that came out all those years ago.

How wrong I was to… tell the truth.

The DOTA name isn’t licensed to Valve, it’s owned by Valve. Blizzard was given a right for their fans to continue using the name non-commercially, while Valve can use it in any way they like because it’s theirs.

So, it’s Blizzard which received a limited (non-commercial) right to use Valve’s trademark, not the other way around.

Valve say it’s their trademark here:

xhttps://store.steampowered.com/legal

…which makes OP thread wrong. Right?

I didn’t comment on the OP, I only responded to a claim that Valve was licensing the DOTA name from Blizzard or somebody else. They are not, Valve own the trademark.

But it does sound like DOTA games can be made in Reforged, though Blizzard can’t officially advertise the mod.

yes, it makes OP thread wrong. but what if blizzard want to claim dota 1 now in reforged !? :rofl:
the OP is just pointing out that this new policy is a joke. and I agree.

That I know! But reading the OP thread and the responses, clearly shows just how many lies have been spread since Reforged launched.

You could of also point that right? Like “Valve Owns the IP, but this thread is wrong”

Yes.

Yes people can make DOTA games and they will continue to do so as long as they want. Blizzard has the rights to use DOTA in the Warcraft (3?) Universe. About advertising it … well , I am not sure about that, but that’s just me!

I hadn’t looked into the overall topic when I first responded. Making a specific correction to one piece of information is still worthwhile.

According to the article quoted by Kynmarcher, Blizzard’s right is for their fans, and not necessarily Blizzard, themselves, to use the DOTA name for non-commercial purposes.

But if Blizzard advertised DOTA for one of their commercial game platforms, that would be a commercial usage of the trademark.

A company advertising anything that requires one of their commercial products to be accessed is a commercial usage, as drawing people to what’s advertised will mean getting people to buy the commercial product it depends on to run.

Basically, Blizzard themselves can’t act to use the DOTA name for any purpose that would directly or indirectly cause financial gain for them. Their fans can use it, though, including if it inadvertently results in financial gain for Blizzard through people buying Warcraft 3 to play DOTA.