An Appreciation Post

I understand that a lot of people are still bitter about the release, but can we please put that aside for just one moment and appreciate the support the devs have recently provided?

Despite the disastrous launch, throughout the past year there’s been a genuine effort to restore the game to its original state despite the unconditional refund that is still in place, and we’re almost at a point where we can enjoy the game’s functionalities as they were before Reforged.

We can say “oh it never should’ve happened” all day, but let’s be honest – it’s been almost 3 years. We can move on from that and appreciate what we have now.

Among the constant bug reports, complaints and negative comments, I think Kaivax and the dev team over at Playside would love to see an occasional thumbs up.

If anything, it helps to make their work environment less miserable – after all, the current devs aren’t even the ones who originally worked at Reforged, and even they are not entirely at fault for the original launch.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. Have a nice day.

5 Likes

You know that this is going to degenerate pretty quickly lol.

That said, I am glad that most of the lost functionality is back. Hopefully along with the last missing feature (custom game saves) we start getting fixes to address long standing issues. But at least content wise, things are closer to where they should be. I’m happy that we got any patches at all because most of us weren’t expecting ANYTHING after 1.5 years of silence. But there is still a lot of work to be done.

2 Likes

5/5 Stars from me for the patch! Goodjob team. It’s always nice to know that Blizz is working on WC 3 :d

I’m a little rusty and dusty on WC 3, and it’d take maybe about 50 games when I got the time to do so to get my skill back. However, the tourney is looking really good right now ^^

This reeks of secretly sponsored content put here by PlaySafe or Blizzard or their affiliates. Or just a fanboy hoping for attention.

As someone with a deep technical knowledge of Warcraft III who modded the game for many years, Reforged exceeded my expectations. Times when I feel to the contrary are the result of media manipulation and attempts to mislead me, such as through bias and other things.

Your post is literally written as though it is passive-aggressively trash talking possibly one of the most overly ambitious and underfunded technology initiatives at what remains of Blizzard Entertainment. Warcraft III’s core gameplay, according to something I read online at one point, was written in about 3 months in 2001 or so using the guts from another engine that later became WoW. The entire game is based on property maps and hardcoded behaviors, so the only people who understand its code are modders who memorized everything through experimentation for 20 years, people reading documents written by those modders, or else a small group of people who originally wrote it all but easily could have forgotten afterward.

Trying to edit the code of this game is like walking on needles, and anyone who tries to make progress in one direction will break features for some subgroup of the players who want the game to go in a different direction. All forward progress will be met with backwards criticism. All backwards progress will be met by forwards criticism.

Users have no idea how much work is being done by PlaySide or how much is not. Leaks suggested that everything up until very recently was the work of some people or person at Activision just shoving stuff into production that the old Reforged team created, even though the team back then intentionally did not publish it because it was not ready and in several cases the new people did not “make it ready” before pushing it to production and overwriting previous work, because they care about different things or maybe don’t care.

Tired fans have no reason to give PlaySide a participation trophy, simply because Bobby Kotick and his teams of corporate overseers decided to send money to PlaySide. For example, Kotick could have sent money to me instead, but he did not.

If you want to get a participation trophy for editing video game code, then work on literally anything else besides a 20 year old classic game with extremely passionate fans who had a game that worked for 18 years and then had random stuff inside of it ripped apart and broken to sell skins, only to then have the skins not even be available ingame, if indeed the webpage that replaced their game could be called “ingame” at all. You can’t give them back their old game, because its server code was dismantled, and you can’t give them back its features because doing so is a waste of your time given that you could be making profitable mobile games instead.

There’s no hope, only darkness. Succumb to the will of the Lich King who sits atop the Frozen Throne and takes a crap on it, and know that your end comes soon.

2 Likes

Relative to legacy, the only thing done is add an observer mode. Which the community already accounted for back in the day. The new graphics are at largy disliked, by a lot. No popular w3 streaming channel has used these in years, other than showcasing why.

What we lost is the US east server. The EU server got bugged. We got a beyond horrible UI in Bnet 2.0. Profiles were gone, and have been restored marginally. There is no match making anymore or it is so bad there might as well just not be one. Many in game prompts are lost. The grace period is gone so 1 packet loss can cause a drop from the game. Pathing more often bugs out, ceep AI is notably altered without any mention of it. Game performance is lower. Many CGs were, and still are, broken or bugged due to the transit. Much more game crashes. Clunky friendlist interaction. The list of issues is incomprehensibly long.

Appreciating what we received in reforged is the equivalent of being lit on fire but be grateful for the glass of water received afterwards. As of today, reforged is the only game that, by a landslide, has so many issue. Even years after its release. Getting this game from a 0.6 out of 10 to a 9.2 out of 10 can be done very simple: ditch reforged and restore the legacy TFT platform. But nobody at blizzard seems to understand the concept of sunk cost, which, by the way, was part of a larger article that won a nobel prize.

Reforged isn’t “no value added”, it is literally effort and “all value taken”.

1 Like

If you’re referring to things that are new since before Reforged, we also got expanded camera zoom (with custom limits) and more control over chat.

There was also the increase in the maximum number of forces supported (24 players/forces up from 12) and various custom content related stuff.

2 Likes

I bought the game recently, was never super into Warcraft 3 historically so I’m fairly new, but I’m really enjoying it now

Also, this is false, an east coast server was added back quite some time ago.

1 Like

No. Or if they did I’m quite unsure why I can’t find a single person on the east coast with good, lets say less than 50, ms. At the same time: I’d be surprised why East coast people have, loosely speaking, the same ping on their US server as the EU server.

True but only relevant for custom games.

If this are the good to offset the bad then, oh boy, that is a tab you do not want to take home. But considering you had to double post to make arguments it signals you don’t have the 10k feet picture of the landscape.

I’ve had many games with pings that low (I’m in the northeast.)

Servers existing doesn’t guarantee you’ll be on them though, as games are global. And given the issues people started having after it was added, I suspect it isn’t handling a lot of players.

Custom games are a massive part of the game.

I didn’t say this offset anything. I only refuted your claim about the observer mode update being “the only thing they ever did.” Which is a false statement. Anything more than nothing refutes your argument of “nothing.”

1 Like

The ironic part of this post is sadly that while it was made in good faith, and out of kindness.
They right after release a balance patch that somehow messed with AMD CPU’s stability when it comes to FPS. Causing a lot of people to have stutters/Low FPS.

They have added in what was needed in my opinion. Release a patch that fixes the FPS, and I honestly think most people would be content with Blizzard halting patches forever.

We cannot. The game cost as much as a new game would, and most of us played WC3 when it originally came out. This is not that game. This is a really bugged messed up and modified… well mess of a game and certainly not the real Warcraft 3. It should have been updated, graphics only, to bring it up to graphics standards. Afterward, then make the changes and updates. Furthermore, you should have never deprecated the original game, and force people to buy the reforged version. With that thought, I will say that the changes were made with good intent and appreciated to that degree. However, to the consumer, it fail/falls way short, and despite the improvements, the flaws still have not restored the game to it’s previous state.