Add item drop tables to replays

Request for a new feature in replays:

Please consider giving us an easy way to determine which item is picked up after killing a neutral creep

An auto-generated Action after any item pickup and the unique itemID would possibly be sufficient and could greatly enhance our statistical and replay tooling

Currently the only known way to determine which item dropped in a game is to decode and re-create the RNG system from the seed provided

This is pointless. That would only tell you what you already know- what item you recieved. This knowledge has no value after the fact.

I mean, I can see “what if” scenarios where “if only i let them kill this creep camp and then i would ahve gotten this item”

It still has no effect, it wont change how you play, because it isn’t going to be the same every time. And if you just need to know what the possible drops are, you can check that in the map editor.

I’m not sure how you interpreted my post but I don’t think you are following what I"m suggesting

That’s on me - maybe the title is confusing?

I want them to indicate which item actually dropped in the replay file instead of the game engine using its random engine and game seed to figure it out on the fly

It would be for map replay tools and websites ect

I see what you’re getting at, but that would require changes to the replay file format and that would require work that isn’t likely to be done.

I think its a great suggestion that would be worth the small amount of work it would take to add into the game.

Adding another command to the game is trivial in this case because it has no effect on the replay - the game should just ignore the block.

Nobody cares about replay file size - they’re already incredibly tiny.

You can speculate all you want on how likely it is - shouldn’t take away the merit of my post

Not size, format. The former just happens, the latter requires work. Work that may not be trivial even if it seems like it would be from the outside.

It’s all well and good, but it’s hard enough for us to get actual needed game fixes, much less little niceties.

I think you should take a break from posting because you don’t participate in good faith when having discussions

I’m very aware of how much work it would be “from the outside” because I’ve written software that works with said replay files and understand the format perfectly well. I obviously cannot speculate as to internal Blizzard resource capacity but I was not doing that - which goes back to my point about you not participating in good faith.

It’s very frustrating to share something I think would help the game grow and have you come along and not only fail to read the original post correctly but then continue to add negativity and not further the discussion in any way

I absolutely participate in everything in good faith. Where are you getting this idea? I’ve never once been malicious or harmful. I take every thread seriously and take my own opinions just as seriously. Just because you don’t like my opinion doesn’t mean I’m not acting in good faith. Acting in good faith does not mean supporting or promoting every idea or suggestion people post just for the sake of doing so. There has to be a good reason.

As I said before, aside from the fact that a feature like this doesn’t really benefit the regular player (you said so yourself), we have a lot of issues with the game that need to be addressed, and my good faith response is that they need to focus on fixing the current issues and repairing their relationship with the community. New features when we have so many problems, particularly when the benefits of such features are limited to a small group, are not likely to happen. This isn’t me just spewing negativity, it’s simply the reality of the situation.

I understand your frustration, but just because you have an idea doesn’t mean it should / needs to be a thing, nor does disagreeing with said idea have anything to do with “good faith.” You haven’t really made a case for how modifying replays to have additional information, that few people actually need in my view, would “help the game grow.” That’s a bold statement, and bold statements need equally bold cases made for them. I don’t see how a small replay enhancmement would bring new players to the game, which is what “help the game grow” implies.

Right now the only thing that can really do that is MS/Blizzard actually putting forth the full effort to address the community’s complaints and fix the myriad bugs and problems that many players run into on a daily basis- from performance problems to crashes. When they actually achieve that, I’d probably be a lot warmer to new features.

That’s my honest opinion- and my good faith advice to you is, if you want to come up with ideas for new features, think about things that will have more far reaching benefits to everyone. Only serious players looking to up their game even look at replays. The vast majority who enjoy the game more casually, playing custom games, the campaign and the occasional melee game, aren’t going to benefit from this. But I say this with the caveat that we aren’t really likely to get any more new features of any sort at this point, given that we can’t even get basic bug fixes. We were very fortunate to get the camera zoom enhancement which nobody really saw coming.

You need to stop replying to peoples threads and de-railing them with your rambling thoughts

And you need to stop making posts that attack users and contribute nothing. All personal attacks will be flagged.

This thread was last posted in three months ago. There was absolutely no reason to bump it just to hate on someone.

There was no reason for you to write three paragraphs about something unrelated to the topic and completely take all steam away from actually talking about it.

Them adding this information to the game is something I care about and I"ll bump it as many times as I want to.

You can abuse the flagging system all you want - I’ll open an appeal and it will be obvious that you’ve done nothing beyond your original post but repeat yourself over and over and bring this idea down

Thanks for sharing your opinion. But when a thread is already dead, regardless of what some person you didn’t like wrote, there’s no reason to reply to it other than to start a fight, like you just did. Reported, and ignored until the year 3024.