1v1 with a friend not working [Fixed]

So, I bought Reforged recently because I’d never played the original. My friend, who owned and beat the original, is still working with his old copy of Warcraft 3. We tried to do a custom game so he and I could duel, but it’s been rough so far - when I invite him to a custom game, he doesn’t “see” the invites (no notification, no menu transfer, nothing) and when he creates a custom game, his friends list doesn’t think his friends exist, me included. So he can’t click on me to send an invite. (we tried a work around with our own chat channel and he invites me via that, but the invites would briefly appear, then vanish until I got disconnected from the W3 servers.) When I’m in the main menu, I can have him join my team, but then the only option is VS matches with random people - 2v2, 3v3, or 4v4, not the me vs him we wanted to play. I’m not sure if our two versions of Warcraft 3 are compatible but I thought they were supposed to be?

Hello,

I have the same issue - unable to receive invites to private games, is there any update?

Cheers,
Tom