What is a negative sun?

Any thoughts? Scientific or fictitious?

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

I have no idea. Sounds like science fiction :thinking:.
If I’d be forced to provide an answer I’d say it’s an antigravity star.

1 Like

Hmm… I’ll have to look that up. Thank you.

In the OP, I should have reminded everybody that it’s what Zeratul mentions to Aldaris in The Trial of Tassadar mission. He says he has born witness to the birth of negative suns.

I have just always wondered what that might look like.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Ah, now I remember where the term comes from. It has sounded me like something I’ve heard before.

1 Like

My guess is that a negative sun is like a normal sun, but instead of providing light, it takes it away(this is because since Zeratul is one of the Dark Templar who relies on remaining unseen to assassinate enemies). I’m not sure what it would look like, but if I were to think the opposite of a normal sun, it would be a dark circle that would need light around it in order to be perceived.

Edit:
A second theory I’ve just came up with is maybe a negative sun is just a sun that shins inverted light(kind of like the light filters used in photography that inverts color and brightness). Not sure why that would be the case, but just a thought nonetheless.

1 Like

Black hole?

5 Likes

Sun that shines black?

2 Likes

I picture one of those weird cartoon suns that is wearing sunglasses for no apparent reason.

2 Likes

Thank you. These answers seem to work for me. Perhaps Zeratul was describing a type of sun that drains light instead of shining it. Most people on Earth might call it a black hole, but the Protoss (despite somehow being very fluent in English) wouldn’t call it that. The Protoss might also have a different understanding of such a phenomenon, perhaps more advanced than our own, which would certainly inform how they label it.

A negative sun is their understanding of what we might call a black hole.

Thank you, folks.

3 Likes

A negative sun would bring light to earth only on the side that is facing away from the negative sun. As well as the moon would appear as a ring of light when earth is facing the black sun

1 Like

Also you cannot see the negative sun when looking directly at it. You are only aware of its light when facing away from it

1 Like

probably true, if it was something exotic it would have been part of the story or at least shown - like terrazine.

2 Likes

A Sun, Suns sends out electrons, which are negative particles.
Further, the prolonged exposure to the sun can have various negative effects. The words negative sun focuses on the fact that it is bad for the speaker or is perceived as bad in the culture around the people that are talking. ´