Unable to claim original CD key

Hi there,
I’ve just found my original copy of Star Craft, and I’d like to be able to play the game. Since no modern PC’s have a disc drive anymore, I need to be able to download the game. When I try to claim the CD-key on my copy of the game in my Blizzard account, I receive the below error.

Oops!

The code you entered cannot be claimed. Please check the code and try again. If you see this error again, please try again later, as the game or website may be undergoing maintenance.

The CD-key is 26 characters long, and looking at the “redeem code” box, it’s expecting less than that… is there any way for me to be able to claim my original copy on my Blizzard account? or am I going to need to purchase the game again?

Thanks!

Hey vicarious1,

The standard mode of Starcraft Remastered is now free to play so the CD key isn’t necessary anymore. You can download it and immediately play all the features that were in the original game.

Before SC1 was available for free, there were security issues with short 13-digit key in physical box. Therefore, it was later changed to a 26-digit key. When I registered my existing 13-digit key to my Battle.net account before it became free, I was shown new key converted to a 26-digit key. However, now SC1 is free, even the registered key has automatically disappeared.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.