The Reckoning mission in Brood Wars

Hi there,

I am near the end of the Brood War campaign and I just found out somewhere that completing The Reckoning in 25 minutes instead of 30 yields a secret mission.

I have a lot more trouble with SC campaign than SCII and usually deal with the computer by building air superiority and sneaking in workers to build anti-air turrets/sporecolonies/cannons to deal with the computer’s anti air. It works but is slow.

Does anybody have some advice on this mission? I generally don’t do stuff like Nydus Canals… maybe tons of Ultralisks supported by Acid Spore flyers to take out anti air?

Many thanks.

You start out with a lot of mineral patches but only one geyser so you’re better off going with a swarm of ground units especially since you start with multiple Hatcheries. Ultralisks and flyers are gas heavy, can’t be massed quickly, and don’t move quickly or eliminate buildings that fast. While you are making Drones and researching all the upgrades for Zerglings and Hydralisks fly your two Guardians around and use them to destroy the Photon Cannons in the middle and the Bunkers and Siege Tanks at the bottom middle and top middle. Get a couple Evolution Chambers for ground upgrades. As the mission progresses you can start to just rally units to the bottom right and top right. Probably throw in a couple Defilers and research Dark Swarm and Consume(save them to a control group for easy access). As you end up with about 10 minutes left, start attacking the east entrance with everything you have. Don’t just randomly select units so the attacking ones are stuck behing those that aren’t moving yet; drag-select the ones clumped at the front and attack-move them, then the ones behind where they were. Focus on the Reavers and Archons. Once they are eliminated, thrown Dark Swarm down so your army can’t be hit by ranged attacks. Keep queuing up more units at home so they continue to rally close to the base. You’ll be amazed by how quickly Zerglings with the Adrenal upgrade take down buildings. That’s about it. If you were able to beat Mission 8, I doubt you’ll have trouble completing Mission 9 with 5 minutes left on the clock.

2 Likes

Thank you very very very much for your help. :smiley:

1 Like

Go show those Protoss how hopeless their battle is!

(Also, I should mention that it’s not worth it to take out the Terran bases in the lower left and upper left. It wastes too much time and resources before you can start mining there.)

2 Likes

Thanks!

I actually beat the mission roughly 45 minutes ago using your suggestions and then did the secret level that I just finished now.

I added the few Ultralisks my gas reserves permitted to draw Archon and Reaver fire and a bunch of Hydralisks to deal with Air. Zerglings did the rest.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Cool! Enjoy the big finale!

2 Likes