Starcraft needs to change

I think Starcraft needs a little change.

I don’t think we need to change the balance of the game. But other changes are necessary.

1. 1vs1 mode is very tiring and competitive game. In Korea, many 1vs1 users are also quitting the game, complaining of fatigue. I am solely responsible for losing in 1vs1 mode, which is stressful. However, the advantage of team games is that I have the luck to get help from team members even if I am not good at it.
    So, I think we need a team game ladder in this game. 2vs2, 3vs3, and 4vs4 We need to discuss what is most appropriate, but each has its own pros and cons. 2vs2 games are more strategic, 3vs3 and 4vs4 games are simpler low-tech fights.
    Whatever it is, I think a team game ladder is necessary. There are also many users who want a team game ladder in Korea.

2. Changes in the Clan system are needed. Starcraft is a lonely game. It’s very lonely to play without a word with strangers every day. We need a system that helps us meet new friends more easily.

3. We need content that we can purchase. StarCraft is a game that can be enjoyed for free forever once purchased, but it does not increase that much new content. I hope Blizzard sells a lot of StarCraft contents.

4. There are still beginners of StarCraft in Korea. We need a tutorial to help beginners. The campaign is not doing enough to function as a tutorial. A more practical tutorial is needed.

5. A more detailed class of ladder is needed.

13 Likes

I also believe that, there is one more that actually could change the way that we see professional SC and that is very basic really "TEAM MELEE"

I know it sounds dumb but Team Melee or Micro/Macro is really a great opportunity for seeing a classical 1v1 but now… there are 2 pros behind so you could push really interesting maps, see if they chose to do “multiracing” (Probe +Drone or SCV + probe or Probe + SCV etc), i think some competitive games of this kind could most definitively be not only interesting to watch but VERY MUCH NEEDED as you say…

Something to spice things up.

Imagine Bisu and Best both managing a Protoss army together vs Flash and Action managing a terran/zerg base in the other corner, in a map that has 2 mineral base available quick to take, with ramps to block etc.

The clan system would require Blizzard to invest in Btnet servers… honestly?.. dont even think about it… that is extremely necessary, in reality what i would like to see is the following: Create an option to launch games from links so you create a room and send a LINK over Discord and people click and the clien opens DIRECTLY in the game.

About purchasable content? i believe that BWAPI/Team Match making DLC would be more than fine to have, more consoles to purchase, more “skins” like Cartoon/ mode…i would purchase them all for sure, specially if they make some of the early consoles available again… like that annoying Blizzcon or the “musical” one.

About tutorial?? i believe that BWAPI and the community could build the BEST set of UMS/Bwapi driven “tutorial” ever created for a game really…that would be awesome to have.

The ladder i believe is fine as it is honestly, i like how the ladder is, it would be “nice” to have some sort of symbol like + if you already been in that letter before in the reason (Works differently than the + sing in Iccup or fish), if you started your season and got to A and then lose some games and go down to B, give those players a B + if they went down to C then C*++* and so on. Also colors for diferent S types, like “people that never go out of S during the last season and played regulary make them gold” or “People that are always in the top 5 or 10 of the S give them SS”. I completely 100% agree that needs to be implemented, we need a new “language” that spices things up.

Some other things that i personally would like to see…

• Let the people that have the free version JOIN the ladder, they will click QUICK GAME they will get no Ladder points, they just click a button and they are in, is the same as payed version but they cannot: VETO maps, see ladder points etc… they are just pressing a button for “quick gameplay”, even free people play each other, you can use free people stats to give a breathing space to the people that are playing Ladder and losing a lot, just trow them a chobo here and there.

• It would be nice if they make a DLC as i mentioned with BWAPI, Team Match Making, new “remastered cinematics” and harder campaign (much harder), make us BLEED to finish the game Offline again, and trow us a few extra missions here and there.

• It would be nice to have a ladder for FFA, hey i know it sounds DUMB, but people forget how cool FFA actually is given the correct maps and circumstances, it could be easily implemented.

• It would be nice to have a map repository… just search something and download it, HELL i know Blizzard would never invest in such a thing, but it would be nice to download maps from a central server… at least those that are popular.

etc… i love this dreaming threads, i know that one day something like this will be possible and even better than we imagine in 2021. Mark my words, Cloud gaming will change everything.

1 Like

Hmm. I dont think 2on2 ladder would do much good for this game since its mainly balanced for 1v1. Ofc you can play 2v2 but it creates a little too much hassle to be enjoyable.

I think this game is rather like revisiting classic to remember how things were, not adjust classic into modern era game.

Ofcourse you can see and start to see things that arent there because its ancestor of sc2 but slowly making sc1 more like sc2 wouldnt do any good i suppose.

I actually enjoy the silence in sc1 when i just need to relax from messy world and annoying people or allies.

You say you suffer from fatigue, but its not necessarily the game that is causing it. Maybe you just have been spending too much time playing video games in general at your life and you need to seek other things. This old game propably points out that greater than new games that revolve more around social it doesnt mean that the problem wouldnt exist if sc1 was more social, then it would be more like playing more modern games.

2 Likes

SC1 is more popular in Korea than SC2. It’s not just a stroll down memory lane.

Moreover, team games are a much better experience in SC1 than the deathballs of SC2, and balance is sufficient that 2v2 actually used to have a pro scene.

Unfortunately though, Classic Games is now just a skeleton crew other than Vicarious Visions, which is solely remastering Diablo 2, so I don’t think any requests like this will ever be fulfilled. They couldn’t even be bothered to save WC3 from drowning, so it’s just been dead in the water since launch. Still no 1v1 ladder at all, much less 2v2 or anything else.

4 Likes

Yea I agree with you that the thing they did wrong with reforged was propably lack of new content… I feel like everybody was waiting some sort of crazy but fun wow twisted add on campaing - or some new ladder maps made by blizzard - or new tavern heroes… Those things would spice the gameplayer… But there was litlerally none and they pretty fast after release turned into the same little balance tweak that what eventually made wc3 a little too boring for most of the players.

I dont even thing ladder in reforged would have save it since its just same stats grind…

1 Like

I didn’t say lack of new content was the problem. The problem is that Reforged actually has less content than the old WC3 because Blizzard couldn’t be bothered to get it working properly. This is off topic anyways, I only brought it up to illustrate how doomed Classic Games currently is, at least for RTS.

2 Likes

I used to play back in the day and I mainly played competitive and Team games were my bread and butter. After decades of not really even using a computer I am now just a UMS scrub lol, but the team games were so much fun. 1v1 can only play out so many ways. the game is one of the best balanced games of all time and does not need to be updated by the guys who did not even help make the game. Blizzard isn’t the same company it was when SC was put out.

Yes, bc 1 famous SC1 community now is Discord and there are clans out there, but depending on your luck, you might find the admins/mods of these clans are nice people, or just tyrants/trolls, bc the rules out there are just made for decoration, they can hold a huge prejudice & conspiracy vs 1 member, who will judge them anyway? but ofc Blizzard won’t have these stupid minds, so players will be much safer from the tyranny/bm of private Discord groups.

Practical tutorials are everywhere, practice maps are also there, practice tools… I only know1.

i would pay 1000£ for anything to improve on SC:BW but this incompetent dev team is unable to deliver 100% out of touch with player wants and needs

1 Like

This is an awesome post. Please add AI bots for PC difficulty. Fix the shuttle bug. Fix the graphics. Create a better external replay viewer (based on BWchart) that shows players, apms, charts, etc. Please allow us to preview reps before we load them. Add more players allowed to join games. Increase observers.
Fix the ability to be able to scroll off screen slightly to see the bottom of the screen while in replay and game mode.

1 Like

For AI difficultly, I’m sorry this is not SC2, if the default behavior of the built-in AI that lasted 23 years has changed, this won’t be SC1 we know + Blizzard won’t do it since its already done by BWAPI community, they just need to fulfill there promises and make SCR compatible with BWAPI.
For stronger/weaker AI compared to the built-in one, you can check BWAPI Revamped.

For external/offline replay viewers like BWChart, you say by yourself “external”, how you want Blizzard to do that, since its also already done by the community:

https://repmastered.app
https://scbw.gg

Also for internal/online replay viewing, nothing beats the CoachAI replay system yet, not even in SC2.

1 Like

Yeah, we get that. But can they (blizzard) program it?
Noobs.
I’m so not impressed with their horrible service.

I was so bored with the first one but I hear ya.

I’ve been calling for blizzard to investigate all 3rd party plugins and implement them into the game.

I had more but blizz forums are very unreliable.

All about shutting you up.

No freedom of speech.

Blizzard cannot take/do not want negative feedback.

They do not respond to posts!!

Hey buddy calm down, No one will look at 20 requests from you on 20 different topics, organize your thoughts/suggestions, list them in 1 topic, and wait for responses. Your suggestions looks nice, but the way you represent things can be better, a lot of topics here in the forum have 0 replies not just yours, if you can organize your thought in one topic simply without multiple links as I suggested that’ll be better, or you contact technical support here if you want, but don’t hope much that they’ll implement anything you ask:
battle.net/support/en/help/contact/322

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I apologize if I got you upset. It’s really just for the Blizzard team.

I appreciate this post and will consider writing a non-public webticket to see if blizzard can address our issues on SCBW (the same happens on D2X, no support).

Thanks!

1 Like

Not upset, just felt overwhelmed when I tried to read your previous post, I still would like to read your suggestions for the game in public, I saw some things that I might have a solution or alternatives for it.

Many suggestions here some would like 2v2 ladder and others want other stuff.

Heres my suggestions for the scbw devs. dont change Balance and normal units ai, hero units dont use tech ai, that could be fixed or improved, but would need to make ai function on all scbw heroes.

For the campaign players they could do an campaign upgrade using and improving some of the special campaigns that many campaign map makers made over the time, this would also make a new purchase reasonable for all scbw players.

For ladder they should add not only 2v2 ladder but add complete ladder/rank system for all maps and game types, Team melee, UMS, Capture the flag etc, there must be some simple way to do this. The rank players achive should be tied to the map or maps they play, the players that win alot on fighting spirit has a good rank score on that map. Where players who win on other maps should get good rank on those. This would make all on scbw alot more satisfied, many would pay for such update too.

For the enjoyment to play SCBW should cost a small amount each month like 1-5dollar just like world of warcraft. 60% of that price money should be spent on server tournaments where players max would be allowed to play in one server so that the top koreans dont take all the us, asia and eu prices. This would increase the satisfaction for the top tier players, those who play more serious.

They also need to disable the multiaccount function for free. So the paid (low one time fee) email account that you use for scbw. Should have one main id that is visible to other players and a tag name that players can change whenever they like. This should be made to avoid people harassing and beeing jerks.

Eud maps is coming up and the devs should work on allowing all functions with this eud and implement euds for creating lobbies.

For the graphips the devs should work on new worlds and more palettes for the map makers to make nice looking maps on this old pc game. That would make a huge increase in satisfaction for both players, map makers and viewers.

If they take small monthly fees and small one time fee for such update. I believe they would have a better player base core and scbw would get more succes once again

1 Like