Starcraft freezes on macOS Catalina

I can confirm that this works. Setting it to windowed mode solves the issue. Setting it back to fullscreen or fullscreen (windowed) causes the issue to comeback.

Thanks for the post Tesla, this suggests there may be something going on with the resolution the game is being drawn at in fullscreen. We’ve seen a couple situations where this helps some of our games in the past, especially if your mac has a very high resolution screen (such as retina.)

Does this work for people having this problem on Mac OS Catalina?

This doesn’t just happen with Catalina. It also happens with High Sierra in my old Mac Mini setup that still meets minimum requirements supposedly. I have that setup as well as one the latest MBP with Catalina. Starcraft Remastered crashes in both. So I’m afraid this might be related to the latest software patch released.

1 Like

Thetower,

Does that work around work for you as well?

Same here on:

Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
48 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Going to window mode gets rid of the lag issue, but the resolution is off so 10% of the right part of the screen is inaccessible. I can’t find a way to fix this. The game is unusable.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro13,3
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 267.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.38f11

Same issue as everyone above. Constant freezing of the game every few seconds. System CPU/memory usage seem normal while game process is running. Game doesn’t seem to be spawning zombie processes or consuming excess file descriptors so doesn’t appear to be related to system resources.

Window mode is unusuable as 10-15% of right side of screen is inaccessible with mouse. Windowed (Fullscreen) and Fullscreen have same freezing/lag issue. Game is unplayable.

Software overview:

Kernel version: Darwin Kernel 19.4.0
MacOS Version: 10.15.4
Game version: 1.23.4.8387

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro 2018
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 9 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Interesting, that it’s not working for about 10% of the screen. Does CMD+TAB help and tabbing back in help with this? Does it help to open in low resolution?

Let us know if either of the suggestions help with the issue. Thank you for the details provided, getting this added over to our tracking!

Hi Caterpepi,

So it looks likes the game in Windowed (NOT Windowed Fullscreen) and Low Resolution (HD graphics OFF) mode does not have the lag/freezing issue.

Essentially the game in its non-remastered state works in windowed. Seems paying for the remastered version was a waste of $ in the current state since it’s unplayable.

Same is happening for me it was difficult to play like this on my Mac it freezes and there is a delay and my internet is perfect This never happened before until I updated it to catalina

I am also having the same problem with my 2015 15’ MacBook Pro with a retina display and an AMD graphics card (latest OS). The game is constantly stutters every 5-10 seconds and is pretty much unplayable in this state. My 13 inch MacBook Pro (2019) runs this game just fine with an integrated graphics card, which makes me think it’s an issue with how SC deals with the graphic cards the 2015 model.

Changing the display to window or full screen window appears to mostly fix the issue. But obviously it’s not an ideal work around.

Caterpepi, can we get an ETA on a fix?

2 Likes

Hey guys,

So I downloaded the Big Sur beta and fired up Starcraft to see if the new version of macOS happened to fix anything. Theres good news and bad news.

The good news is that it seems that the intermittent freezing is gone, even while running the game full screen. The bad news is that now while playing with the HD graphics, I’m only getting 15-20 FPS. However, if I switch to the legacy graphics, the game plays just fine.

So it seems like Big Sur might be the answer to the issue. It’s only the first beta, so hopefully as Apple works on it in the coming months the performance will smooth out and the frame rate will return to normal.

I have the same problem, Maсbook Pro 15. The game only works in a small window. Please solve the problem.

A post was merged into an existing topic: [Main Thread] Mac OS - Can’t Connect to Battle.net & other issues after 1.23.5 update

Same problem here on an iMac, the game randomly freezes when im playing. Im really frustrated. Windowed mode or disable HD graphic its not an option for me.

1 Like

Still having problem with the workaround. 2015 MacBook Pro Retina display. Still see the pinwheel. It’s unplayable. Very disappointed that I purchased the remastered and can’t play it

Please help this is frustrating and we need a solution asap.

Funny thing is I’ve played on my MacBook a couple of months ago with no problem. After the update, this is what we are dealing with. Pinwheel of death!