Sd widescreen + dynamic ai

i think f2p and remastered are 2 different games, in f2p sd graphics looks nice and crisp while after paying for full game i get broken sd graphics that has no widescreen support, i think remastered owners deserve sd graphics to be on same level as hd graphics, we can sort of get enhanced sd for people who pay and original game behavior for f2p, but ideally i think all 3 graphics modes (f2p/sd/hd) should be available to remastered owners, i feel that f2p version could be maybe left to classic game owners (1.16) then and have remastered be a separate game (this version that is updated) to avoid cheating. also dynamic adjusted ai would be nice for new players, i struggle very much in multiplayer at start while sc2 has nice setting slider for ai. i think graphics issue can be counted as general gameplay issue because hd graphics still looks and feels quite a bit different from original so it still affects gameplay when sd setting feels unusable, there is no choice so we all are forced to use hd.

2 Likes

Uhh? The only thing that makes any sense is better a.i. the rest would only serve to split the population.
Cheats exist in both games
U can only play ranked ladder with remaster
There is a slider bar for the visual clarity for graphics for SD mode.
You can press F5 any time to toggle between remaster and normal graphics

Some very good points here. The SD graphics do look worse regardless of the filtering setting in SC:R and the forced 4:3 is a bit unfortunate. At least prior to Remastered it would stretch to fill the screen; an option for this would be nice.

As for the AIs it is unfortunate that we’ve been stuck with the default AIs for nearly 23 years now. I’d recommend the CoachAI system but it does require a bit of technical knowledge to set up and use.

As of now the only reason I play Remastered is for the occasional UMS battle.net game and for the Windowed Fullscreen option.

i think the problem is that sd graphics in f2p version is running on original graphics engine (sc 1.16) while when you pay for remastered it runs on a different engine which is not geared towards running old sd graphics and it causes scaling issues where sd graphics looks blocky and lowres, i have compared just before purchase and i at least hoped it to include widescreen support for sd which is why i bought it. when you pay for remastered you basically get a completely different game fom f2p. there could be a switch in the game to run old f2p engine version, or better fix sd graphics engine so it doesnt feel like a downgrade. ai is also very broken but gfx just kills it because you basically get a different game from original, i think preserving old sd graphics is essential to retain old fans, i played this game on and off since early 2000 and for me nostalgia factor is very important because i feel exactly what it looked like all these years. i mean all blizz could do is add support for higher res and widescreen to old game and that would be enough for me, i dont understand how company politics works but a lot of old games got really trashed for no reason due to this expectation that people always want their game to be different because it was boring before, i appreciate hd but it still looks silly because of underlying 2d game engine so it does feel unorganic to sd graphics and this is why i think all game remasters should never touch original game assets and concentrate on engine updates instead.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s not the engine basically. It’s the monitor resolution mode. The 1.16 forced your OS to switch monitor resolution to 640x480. What comes next - your monitor turns on its own anti-aliasing methods to upscale 640x480 to its native resolution, say 1920x1080. And probably it happens so that it scales the picture better than remastered tries (with software or gfx means).
Especially good upscaling is on CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitors (the era before TFT), where monitor has no square pixels (no upscaling blur) and the upscaling is done naturally in analog way (plus the fake progressive scanning).

IMHO, fake progressive scanning (google for: crt fake progressive scanning) is the killer CRT feature for displaying StarCraft genuine 640x480 graphics. It looks awesome, very natural! And the genuine graphics were designed for such display (with line skip in mind) I believe. Unfortunately CRT monitors are big and heavy.

You may try to switch to 640x480 resolution manually in OS and launch SC:R. Is it any better?

CoachAI is a helper AI, it plays with you, not against you, I think you mean BWAPI Revamped which include various strong competitive AIs + CoachAI.

You sound literally like insane person to me. How is your life? How can you nitpick on such amazingly irrelevant topic on such a cheap video game.

Wow, an angry troll :joy:, last time I’ve seen something stupid like that here was long ago, I wonder where are u now Jinjin?

I would say a very worthwhile game.

2 Likes

You´re now projecting a some persona to me who isn´t me by falsely misunderstanding my words.

If you know me better you would know I love starcraft.

^ This troll/Orc is back again ? :rofl: :popcorn:, I don’t even understand what he is trying to say :crazy_face:

What makes you think I am a troll?

I smell those guys :joy:

https://tl.net/forum/brood-war/538784-the-new-era-of-macro-has-begun-0001