SCMDraft 2; Why remove StarEdit?

Before I hear it; let me state my case a little.

First off; I don’t think removing Star Edit was a good idea nor was it even the best idea over all in general. While it was lacking in features, things we’re easy enough to grasp and manipulate in general to create your own maps, campaigns and even do the basics of whatever you we’re after.

I’ve looked online and seen SCMDraft 2 and seen some of the most odd, yet, impressive maps developed with it and I can understand why most people move to it and want to use it in general overall.

What I do not like or what I think was a mistake is checking what type of support SCMDraft 2 HAS and IF, big if now, IF it can detect the Starcraft Remastered in order to manipulate that data and spit back out any game edits in general.

When I discovered Star Edit was removed and checked the patch notes, I tried SCMDraft 2 they recommended, both the new unstable build and the more stable one available. Neither build of this program could PICK UP on Starcraft Remastered or the game data. When it asked for the Starcraft Directory, I directed it to the Starcraft Remastered file, all of the files within and it couldn’t pick up on anything.

I’ve tried googling this problem and there doesn’t seem to be any errors of this happening and I’ve tried checking youtube for setup tutorials and everyone seems to be able to plug and play the program without so much as an error message or so much as an issue to come back and bite them!

… More or less, I’m left without a proper map editor to the original StarCraft. And unless Blizzard has tested this properly; It seems like a poor decision and there needs to be something better from them than this mess.

I’ve dug out my old CD’s, installed a legacy version of Starcraft, I’m hunting down the patches before the latest one for this version so I can work with the old maps again until SCMDraft 2 either has proper support or Blizzard supports them in some method with the directories among other items.

And yes, I’ve tried running SCMDraft 2 with the legacy directory; I seem to be running into the same problem on a loop.

3 Likes

Yeah that was funny, removing the staredit and directing everyone in direction on SCMDraft, while also rendering SCMDraft not operational.

Well new version has it fixed, but you need to set up profile properly (select main folder of your Remastered installation, select version 1.23).

2 Likes

I would be inclined to believe that and I thought that as well on the profile, along with the proper paths and the proper version, it’s still giving me the same issue; I have screen captures, but the forums won’t let me post the iamges or ‘links.’

Anything else that could cause this problem, other than an improper profile?

We tested the July 9th alpha build to verify it works with 1.23 a few days before release and it worked fine. If there are unusual configurations out there where it is not the case help me figure out what is going on.

Images: You can just enter the link to the image without embedding with a code tag.

If the profile settings look like this: http://www.stormcoast-fortress.net/Irregularies/Images/NewProfile.png then you are using the compatible version.

If they look like this: http://www.stormcoast-fortress.net/Irregularies/Images/SettingsConfig.png you have launched the old version. If you are stuck in a loop of “select starcraft directory”, you are also likely using the old version, since the new version just launches the profile configuration UI if it is misconfigured. Another way to tell is if you have a “Copy…” button on the splashscreen page - that was only added last week, if you do not have that then you are using an old version.

3 Likes

I tried; The forum isn’t letting me post the images, treating them as links.

While I’m at it; Thanks for showing me which one works and what not; but it seems the Trigger options and the Briefing are still yet to be developed or fully working.

There are multiple options for triggers/briefings.:

• UI based interface, “classic triggers” (like staredit)
  • Text based triggers (UI is very basic but it works)
  • You can also add the TrigEdit++ plugin for an alternative text based trigger editor.

The July 11th release introduced a bug in the text triggers which I have now fixed. The download now contains an updated version.

1 Like

So let me ask the dumb question then, did they remove Staredit completely and its just not coming back? I guess I did not see this in patch notes, and actually what is ironic is while the game was updating, I was just using Staredit. Once the update finished, its completely gone from the root programs folder. What is our options now for editing maps and making changes? I would rather not just download some 3rd party application that is outside of the scope of what is provided by Blizz.

1 Like

I need help aswell.

I downloaded the post 9th july version and encountered several issues, some are probably not scmdraft 2 related.

First of all, when I install it it doesnt let me choose a directory. It just simply puts it somewhere on C programfiles86 so fast I cant even see it.
Whats worse, windows doesnt even detect it…now idk why that is (probably something wrong on my end here)

Anyway…it launches and im also stuck in the select folder loop as previously mentioned. Keep in mind that this is the newest version that I downloaded.

Keep in mind that I used Scmdraft2 previously but this new version giving me a headache.

Is there any way to place a desired tile variation like in Warcraft III’s editor instead of clicking like crazy until you randomly get the one you like?

To remark your inquiry on this topic you don’t need a brain to think about it: it’s so elementary! They openly didn’t wanna bother with new dillemas that can occur with new recent patches (that they barely give a birth so rarely) so they just abolished it. Bravo! Can’t fix it, can’t cope with it? Dismantle it from the roots. Why bother?

Download a more recent version. http://www.stormcoast-fortress.net/Irregularies/?action=DownloadAlpha&ID=2019.07.13(W)

Copy and paste. Make a custom brush palette if you want to be more organized.

We as consumers should hold AAA publishers to higher standards. SC:R now has even more missing features from classic. That alone is pretty telling.

If you select “subtile mode” in the terrain palette (so menu -> windows -> terrain palette), you can then control click on a tile to display the different variations of that tile.

There is no outline around the changed tiles, it just previews the new tiles in the brush. I may add an outline to improve readability of what will change.

3 Likes

I’ve had this same problem! Everytime I click launch, it tells me to select the Starcraft directory and when I do, it asks for it again! I wondered why it did that, I just have an outdated version. Wow.

Why the switchs on the triggers don’t work in the new scmdraft 2? :confused:

Could you be a little more specific? Which switches, which trigger editor (classic vs. text), what exactly are you doing?

For example: When I create an interrupter to activate with some action given by the players, these are no longer activated from the new update in the new maps that you create.

I’ve used switches as recently as two days ago without issues, using the latest builds. Unless this is an SC:R bug (as I only work on 1.16.1), it sounds like you’re not setting them correctly. Post a sample of your triggers?

I have tried with the same switches of my old maps, and not a single switch works for me in the new maps that I create. Damn I do not know what the hell is going on.

You have to open the editor first, and then the game - an unfortunate limitation of SC:R’s recent patch.

Without example maps/triggers or more detailed information, I can’t help you.

I reproduced it - a bug was introduced in classic trigedit for switches in conditions, I just fixed it and the build will be uploaded in the next 3 hours to the alpha page.

2 Likes