Protoss and Terrans can't play, so they changed fastestmap

I’ve been playing this game since 99 and, despite whatever you want to say about fastestmap, it’s basically the only thing you’re gonna find online outside of iccup/etc. Fastestmap hadn’t changed for just about 15 years, except up until now because of noob protoss and terran players.

Old fastestmap has:
Wide trenches between players, and the gas is in small stacks to the left and right of your main.

New fastestmap has:
Now we have REALLY thin trenches between players, and the gas is arranged in one big long vertical or horizontal stack against the edge of the map.

Just in case you haven’t figured it out yet, here’s why this is cancer:

-When the gas is stacked against the edge of the map like this, it’s literally impossible to have as much anti air defenses, without getting in the way of your gas mining, so to put it there would be worse. This is done just so protoss players can easily drop an HT and kill your miners with storm. Nowadays you see protoss players wall in and just go for a quick tech to HT because the map is built for them to do this.

-When you have small trenches between players, it’s just for terran players to make siege tanks. And camp on the ridge. And put a ton of anti air buildings behind them. When this happens you’re basically locked in until you can do a massive drop.

The trench between players keeps getting smaller and smaller, and I even played on a map where it was so small that a terran player used a ghost to launch a nuke from his side and my workers were in range. And again, put a ton of anti air behind him so that sniping the ghost was next to impossible, or you’d have to waste a ton of units to do it.

Again I have played fastestmap for 15 years and I have never ever ever seen these happen only until the last year or so when fastestmap was changed to suit protoss and terran players. This doesn’t make the game more fun, it just makes it a big gay camp fest for noobs. People who do this and make it to anything past 10 minutes show how horrible they are at the game and just endlessly launch wave after wave of carriers/bcs at each other’s main. It turns every game into the same, boring, stally camp out.

Island only maps are another big offender. As in just 8 square bases that have a little bit of water seperating them.

These are hosted by protoss noobs who just make cannons around their entire island and lame out with stasis and carriers. All they do is stall stall stall and waste time and since they don’t have a job or life, wait for you to leave first and think they’ve won the game, by beating you by being the bigger loser who has 20 straight hours to burn.

Ideas to make fastestmap worse!
-Why stop there? Let’s make the gas go to the edge of your base completely. We can totally pretend you need all that gas, when it’s just so you can’t build any defenses there. Oh let’s make the gas three rows wide as well, so that basically nothing could reach it over there.

-Let’s put tree doodads at the edge of the ridges, so that camped out siege tanks are even harder to kill! Let’s make them invisible doodads!

-Let’s put invisible doodads in completely random places but in some kind of secret pattern that only the person who hosted the game knows what it is like. So it looks like for you, your ranged units will randomly miss for no reason.

Anyway, these players suck, and they know it. Brood war is basically dead anyway but, I thought I’d be the one to say it about these rigged fastestmaps and get it out of the way. These maps are made on purpose for noob terran and protoss players who suck at starcraft, and life. All they want is their big fake record when they join games, so they think other people think they are good at the game, and they’re okay with making every game turn into the same campy 3 hour long stall out.

1 Like

I’ve notice this too. This is kind of a big deal because it can make it so x race have more advantage than x race. By limiting x race map numbers for it it can shift the balance into x favor. Limited maps for certain x race means not much data that can be collected in order to see all 3 races to see what to change and so forth. This is where bias comes into play because if there’s too much of it it can ruined the match up. Granted over the years it has improve now new problems since the sc1 team are trying to balance of what they can see while before players were able to do it on ladder and UMS like fastest maps.

It’s not like you can’t just host your favourite fastest map version, lol…

Well, Cromwell… stop playing fastest map.

I can from my educated perspective, having casted, played and hosted competitions on both the western and the korean fastest map, with convidence say that your entire post is full of assumptions and conclusions that are not true.

The korean map was a response to imbalances on the western map. Hills to ensure all spots can have sufficient space to build while also protecting overlords with the hill fog of war, a thing which the western version lacks. 12 and 6 on the western version specifically are smaller than the corners. The location of the mineral patches is too close to the edge so they moved them closer to the center of the base to make dropping in fact harder. Downside however is that you need vision on top of the hills to for turrets or cannons or spores to fire on shuttles before they are past the hills.

The gas being placed on the edges of the map is to fix gas mining. Workers can no longer spawn on the far end of the geyser thus ensuring normal gas income. The Gas stretching out further means it is actually EASIER to play into templar drops because you have more options to dodge your workers to: another base, or to the long stretch of geysers in your own base. On the western map you have a very small confined space to dodge your workers to, or another base. This makes your drop dodge options very predictable on the western map, and less predictable/easy to hit on the Korean map. Also, Protoss is just inherently the strongest race on fastest map, regardless of how you change the map. In this same sense, zerg is inherently the weakest.

Most of the imbalances of some maps you mentioned were maps made by low level fastest players who lack proper understanding of the map itself to keep it as balanced as possible. At the moment, the most balanced versions are either the Korean super map, or the Fastest Space TPT map which I use for tournaments.