New balance patch to spark interest?

What if the dev team for SC finally touch on minor balance changes to improve some underused units and in turn spark some life into the community if the impact of the changes are positive? I know how most feel about touching balance as some of us have been playing the game since its release in the 90’s and is considered perfect after years of patching. All I suggest is minor changes to units many of us would like to use but pass on as we know they lack something to deliver us that victory we all seek.

As an example the one unit which I definitely want to see patched is the Protoss Scout. Below are four changes I think would allow more use of the unit mid to late game without negatively impacting the current state of balance.

1.) Remove Apial Sensors upgrade and increase sight range to 10. (Never understood why the Scout needed to have this upgrade its a Scout!)

2.) Move the Gravitic Thrusters upgrade to Cybernetics Core.

3.) Increase ground damage upgrade to +2 per upgrade.

4.) Increase weapons range from 4 to 5. (On par with the Wraith)

** REVISED **

1. Reduce research time for Apial Sensors and Gravitic Thrusters to 63 sec each at fastest game speed ( currently 105 sec).

2. Return base armor to +1 (was changed in 1.04 patch to 0)

3. Increase ground damage upgrade to +2 per upgrade.

I truly believe its time for a shake up and hope the devs are listening too! I love this game :+1:

4 Likes

Who cares, this remaster is for Pros and purists, no1 of them aksing for balance patch, current meta is stable and fairly balanced so no reason to destory it, if you want a balnce patches wait for WC3 Reforged and let this game die :slight_smile:

Btw small balance patch is not enough to bring ppl back, there are things like zoom out camera like in replays ect and if they implement some qol changes, more ppl will leave (probably to 1.16) then will come, 100% quarantee.

Personally, i would quit playing the game if they made a balance patch. It would be the start of a spiral and I really don’t think a team this small has the resources or time to deal with it.

6 Likes

stop it.

do not post proposed patches anymore this is never going to happen and you should be ashmed to ask for it a true fan knows this game is perfect as it has been for the last 15 years thankyou

3 Likes

A good idea to get the community talking again. Only agree if the changes are minimal for units who rarely see play. Scout buff sounds alright.

3 Likes

No.

(Post must be at least 20 characters.)

1 Like

This is not SC2 where the game is so incoherent and flawed from its foundation that it needs constant tweaks every other week.

Frankly I’d rather they just add the custom player colors option for SP and mapmaking stuff.

3 Likes

They could mess around with balances for sc1 original (non broodwar expansion) as its dead. You know when you select which version you want to login with when you click multiplayer?
Safe way to test and keep seperate from the main population.
Just an idea i had. But i agree no balence changes in broodwar unless we discover something amazing from my earlier suggestion as seen above.

They should fix the service as a whole and leave the game balance alone.
Imagine if there was a button that enabled you to host a small tournament. Or formulate a UMs league.
Imagine if chat channels had more features.
Imagine if you could make server wide announcements for your tourny.
Imagine if the game ran more smooth.
Imagine if we had in game mods to clean up cheaters and ddosers.
Imagine…

2 Likes

Remove “vanilla” option from multiplayer and add “experimental” so if anyone wants to mess around can join it and test it out.

3 Likes

No.

Why dont we add a new rule in chess where the pawns can revive on place if a queen is sacrificed to the King…

The answer is NO, Starcraft is not a mere video game, its sport and top level art, dont mess with it ever again, you have UMS for that.

1 Like

I think your analogy for chess is perfect. In chess all the pieces are used within the game whether on amateur or professional level. Can you say the same with current SC? What units do you see constantly being used? Which units could see more in-game play if buffs were to be made to them.

3 Likes

People have been adding extra rules to games for many, many years:
Use of “free parking” in Monopoly.
Multiple versions of the card game “Rummy”.
And regarding chess, one variation has a time limit, and they call it “speed chess”!

So, I have no issue with experimenting, but as CognacLover said:

so that people are aware.

2 Likes

yes the analogy is perfect, as also Starcraft Broodwar is perfect.

Want a different experience play SC2 or make a UMS. Now leave SC alone

Analogy to Chess is f… JOKE, there are three different races, not ONE, I would accept this analogy if SC would had one race LOL.

This remaster is made for purists, they spent too many hours learning timings and builds, also they are too lazy to learn new metas. SC is not perfect, meta is T>Z>P>T favored and depends of maps and there are useless units/abilities.

Nothing is ever perfect.

Tbh I would love to see some Scout changes too. Right now they are only used in inferior strategies that you will never see in pro level games. That does not mean you can not play them, but their investment can never pay off unless you make your whole strategy based around this unit. E.g. like Scout + Reaver in PvZ. You defend against Hydras and Air with Scouts and Reavers and take more bases while the Scouts pick off Overlords and Drones until the Zerg dies.
No other unit forces a commitment like this, not even Carriers or Battlecruisers.
I think a slight Scout buff would really help out in PvZ and not affect the other match ups at all, making the game even more balanced. (The proposed changes would be way too drastic though.)

2 Likes

You should really be careful when boosting scouts: with perfect micro zerg can be humiliated by group of them. Look how pros use to demolish low level players with stack of them. Heck, even I once got destroyed, having 2-3 sunkens each base didn’t help.

I think Pros could use any unit to demilish noobs lol

I never saw Scouts in pro games ;(

Ghost the same, except one game per ~10k when T had a huge advantage and made them for fun.

1 Like

the only update we need is to reduce the food supply of valks and scouts from 3 to 2

That would allow for the creation of a lot of Scouts. Not a good idea.

1 Like

Yeah I agree the food supply should remain at 3. The changes I proposed is to enable the Scout to be an option to maybe see actual play in mid to late games and not to affect the current balance in a drastic manner.