Network upgrade failed

Repeatedly get this message- STORM_ERROR_REQUIRES_UPGRADE

Hey ZOG,

Did you install from old media, like the original disks, or did you download the most current version from Battlenet?

If it’s the former, try installing a current copy and see if that gets rid of the error.

This was working on a previous drive that crashed last week. I installed it on a new drive. Why wouldnt it work now? This is the version-

StarCraft: Brood War is the [expansion pack] for the [military science fiction] [real-time strategy]*[StarCraft] Released in December 1998 for [Microsoft Windows] etc…

I can’t say why it’s not working with a new install.

But if you are using the disks to install, that version is extremely out of date. It’s a miracle that it was working at all for you.

The most recent copy is available to download in your Battlenet account.

Why would I need a new disk when this ones been working for 20 years?? The upgrades kept it up to date on my other computer before it crashed. When I log in it downloaded an upgrade but still wont connect.

The operating systems in use today did not exist 20 years ago. That it worked previously is immaterial and when it comes down to it, unsupported.

We do not support installing the game using 20 year old disks. The data on those disks is too far out of date.

You also do not need new disks which is good considering there are no new disks. The original version of Starcraft 1 stopped development many years ago.

It was recently remastered and an updated client released you can download that client through the Battlenet Desktop Application. (If you did not purchase the remaster you would be limited to using the original graphics. )

Simply go to battle.net and scroll down. download and install the desktop application and once installed you should have the ability to download and install the newer supported game client for Starcraft 1.

If you insist on trying to use the old disks, others in the community may have some suggestions on how to get them to work but it is not something we offer support for.

I tried to install the application but it says it cant verify a digital signature. What is that?

Depending on the error code that displayed at the end of that message, it could be a few things.

The app could be blocked from accessing the needed information to verify those certificate signature, Data could be corrupted in the app itself, other software on the system could be interfering or there could be some sort of permission issue.

Try running your system in selective startup mode: https://battle.net/support/article/200483

We need to not only remove all data relating to the Battle.net Desktop Application and affected game client, we need to ensure we have good permissions for reinstall.

1. Ensure the Desktop Application or setup is not running and open File Explorer (Right click Windows Start Button)
  2. In File Explorer, navigate to the folder where the desktop application would normally be installed. Delete that folder if it exists (usually program files x86)
  3. Type the following into the address bar (not the search bar): %APPDATA% and press enter.
  4. Delete the Bnet and blizzard folders inside the appdata folder if they exist.
  5. Repeat steps 7 and 8 with %PROGRAMDATA% %LOCALAPPDATA% and %TEMP%
  6. Empty the recycle bin.
  7. Create a new administrator account: Blizzard Support - Creating a New Administrator Account
  8. Once the account is created, shut down the computer, wait 60 seconds, restart, log into the new profile.
  9. Now reinstall the app to the C: Drive.

If that doesn’t solve the issue, then I recommend submitting a ticket with an msinfo attached for further investigation. (instructions for collecting that msinfo report will be on the form.)

Click your name at the top right of this page, click support, click contact support.

Kershew

12 posts

Customer Support

8d

The operating systems in use today did not exist 20 years ago. That it worked previously is immaterial and when it comes down to it, unsupported.

We do not support installing the game using 20 year old disks. The data on those disks is too far out of date.

You also do not need new disks which is good considering there are no new disks. The original version of Starcraft 1 stopped development many years ago.

It was recently remastered and an updated client released you can download that client through the Battlenet Desktop Application. (If you did not purchase the remaster you would be limited to using the original graphics. )

In other words its being blocked? So everyone who buys this version is now wasting their money?

It’s not being blocked. It’s simply too old to run on newer computers.

No one has to buy anything, ZOG. The original SC is free to play. As was already said, just download it from Battlenet.

Im running SC Broodwars on Win 7 Pro and also on Win 10. Trouble is it keeps saying to reload it after clicking on Multiplayer. Its still blocked after reloading. It cant even get to the Login, let alone to the Lobby. Frustrating since it worked just fine a few weeks ago.

Like was said earlier in the thread, if you’re having trouble with the old version of the game, download the latest version from Battlenet.

The latest version supports modern operating systems.

Hello,

I’m trying to play Starcraft Remastered and when I click “play now” I’m receiving a “download failed” error. How do I fix? I typically have no issues playing daily so this error came out of no where.

Thanks,
TS

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.